Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Getting to Ahuriri

Hey guys, I'm looking to head up to the Ahuriri base hut in a few weeks. DOC have told me that the track in from Birchwood is a 4wd one but I was wondering how rough it really is? I've got an old 4wd Subaru that I don't mind knocking round a bit, do you reckon I would have a chance of making it?

Cheers

It varies a bit depending how recently its been flooded or maintained, last time I was there (November last year) it was easy enough getting a Legacy wagon to the hut.

Awesome, cheers mate. I think I'll back the old Leone, don't mind walking if I have to

From memory the roughest ford was only about 5 min from the hut anyway, so even if its bad at the moment you should get most of the way.

Sounds good, cheers. Looking forward to having enough money to upgrade to a 'real' 4wd and not worry about things like this

2 years ago a flood washed out the big scree slope. It's all dependent on this spring weather.

Quote Originally Posted by dunel442 View Post
    Awesome, cheers mate. I think I'll back the old Leone, don't mind walking if I have to
    Hey dunel

I'm pretty keen to hear how you go as I'd like to go up there in a Santa Fe if possible. Being a soft 4wd I'm also wondering if there's a scratching factor.

Cheers

Ben