Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree891Likes

Thread: Getting power out of a harley

Getting power out of a harley

Right, seeing as we are all a bunch of tinkerers around here I was wondering if anyone had given a sportster some more power? Bit of a backstory, I bought a 2009 nightster as my 1st harley about 7 years ago. I recently saw it back up for sale so bought it back. It was some of the most fun I've had on a bike. Now I'm out to buck the trend that the sporty is a sissy bike. I'm chasing 100hp and what to put some of the big blocks in their place! Its got pipes, aircleaner and tuner done. Any thoughts from here?

I knew the hayabusa call was coming Haha been there.. have had a vrod, buell and an r1 at a point. Even a triumph rocket lol. Still to this day the most fun I had was on that sporty. I'm thinking cams and pistons for a start. I know itll never be a race bike. Just want something not run of the mill

northdude
    i had one cams you can go bigger barrels and pistons get some decent heads and played with gear ratios cant really remember the details but at the end of the day your just polishing a turd. typical yank shit it wil just do what its supposed to do out of the box and no more but hey look at all the accessories you can dress it up with
    chainsaw likes this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    There’s a dual spark plug mod for the 12 hundy. I don’t know if it increases hp much but I figure if it improves the bang it it’s got to be helping.

I had a VROD too, great straight line bike and those Porsche engines are just fantastic. Now I’m on a Fatbob 114, it’s fun.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Turbo it.

I've got a Nightster with cams, pipes & air cleaner. A 1275 kit would get you a few more HP but really needs head work and new pistons to get
    the most out of it.
    rewa likes this.

Is there any way to make it lighter overall (wheels, exhaust?) as power to weight is what's important. Obesity is a big problem.
    chainsaw and Moa Hunter like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

sneakywaza I got
    How the fuck do you "have fun" on a bike that doesn't stop, doesn't get out of the hole, doesn't have a top end, doesn't turn, can't carry mid corner, shakes out your fillings and turns it's rider into a silly splayed leg windsock.

Leave the thing alone and let it be it's proper calling in life as a winch motor for a fishing trawler........
    mudgripz, ebf, Shearer and 10 others like this.

GWH
    Motor transplant, Honda CBR600's made 100hp about 20 years ago ��

Sorry Cam, you were asking for it ��
    veitnamcam, Barefoot, ebf and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Is there any way to make it lighter overall (wheels, exhaust?) as power to weight is what's important. Obesity is a big problem.
    you need power in the first place to improve the power to weight ratio...haha
    even removing weight from it won't make jack all difference as what power it does have is the wrong type. They have a bit of torque but that doesn't equate to power as in acceleration. Just means you can tow a trailer for all the spares you'll need if you dick around with the engine to much...
    unfortunately I know this from experience. spent a fortune on a skirtster after swapping it with my triumph and rebuilt the thing from the ground up using top shelf everything from suspension and brakes thru to engine work. took me three months to build. rode it for three weeks then sold it.... still wouldn't accelerate , stop or corner...looked and sounded cool but that was it.
    Use the money to buy a second bike that actually does all those things anyway....or trade it in on a triumph thruxton 1200 is what I would do.
    but hey... that's just my opinion. As was already mentioned they were never intended to be fast from the start, that's not what a harley is about.
    Shearer and woods223 like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    How the fuck do you "have fun" on a bike that doesn't stop, doesn't get out of the hole, doesn't have a top end, doesn't turn, can't carry mid corner, shakes out your fillings and turns it's rider into a silly splayed leg windsock.

Leave the thing alone and let it be it's proper calling in life as a winch motor for a fishing trawler........
    I find in my experience the best part of owning a Harley is how much it winds people up - oh and most Harley owners don’t care if their bike doesn’t go/stop/handle as well as a Hayabusa etc etc. - otherwise they would have one!
    Last edited by Finnwolf; 29-09-2020 at 09:09 AM.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

ducatti monster !
    Friwi, Steve123 and rewa like this.

Depends on why you are into bikes. Whether you enjoy riding it or looking at it parked outside the café.
    300CALMAN, Dago, mimms2 and 2 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

my 2c . . . beware of what you think you want

all that fun you had was on the bike the way it is . . . run 2 bikes if you want want something with some real power, hopefully it has decent brakes & frame etc hat handles that extra performance.

i have thoughts from time to time of upgrading my older Triumph for a newer model with more horses, better brakes, all the new tech stuff . . but i fight that urge because i know in reality its the feeling i get on the bike now that puts that big grin on my face, getting somewhere quicker isnt going to do that.
    when i do open it up when i feel like breaking the law and risking my licence ( crazy i know ) i love that roar from the induction noise as the carbs suck more air, getting down low on the tank and the old girl struggling to push through the air with me hanging on, that is Old School fun. having another 50hp isnt going to make me happier, infact itll make it to easy.
    i dont want, fuel injection, heated grips, cruise control, ABS, traction control or any other modern BS, bunch of pussys if you ask me, but good luck to them that want that . . each to their own.

enjoy yourself and good luck.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Forced induction.
    Savage1, GWH and 300CALMAN like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

You want to turn heads, you want power to weight ratio, you want to grind foot rests when you carve around those bends. Sell the Harley and buy a older 2 stroke. Easy to work on, cheaper to fix when you break it and any more than 2 strokes is a wank. The sound of a angry 2 stroke will annoy the neighbors, the smell you leave when you release the beast make the greenies higher than the shit they are smoking. Rinnngggg ding ding ding ding
    rewd, 300CALMAN, Paddy79 and 4 others like this.