Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: The great petrol vs diesel debate

The great petrol vs diesel debate

Right pretty set on getting a hiace, the later model 5th generation 2004 onwards with either 2.7 petrol or the 3.0l turbo diesel

What's going to be cheaper to run???? At current the missis is putting $50 every couple of days in our Honda oddesy somethimes she has to goto town upto 4 times a day at 30min for return trip

Service costs won't be an issue, neither will rego, the costs coming out of our pocket will be RUC + diesel or petrol

I am leaning towards the 2.7 petrol but undecided .... Looking to spend 25k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mohawk660 likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Probably petrol, unless you're doing 40,000 - 50,000 kms per year in it. After then diesel seems to be a cheaper option. The petrol 2.7 is a pretty good motor. Plus the 5th generation diesel Hiace runs a 1-KD doesn't it, so it will not be immune to the pricey injector issues the hilux can get. I didn't have much change left over from $10k when my 1KD imploded. That money would have bought a lot of petrol
    Mathias likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

RUC is a killer now
    tetawa and TianBotha like this.

SiB
    A 'faulty' lead from your sender unit helps reduce RUC I've heard.

Funny this would come up as I just crunched the numbers this morning. I was looking at a petrol powered patrol to replace my diesel one. Comparing rego, RUC and enough gas for 30,000 km annually, facoring in less service costs for the petrol and no RUC, the 4.8 petrol patrol would still cost me basically double to run per annum. To get a petrol 4x4 to the equivalent costs of running my TD42T the petrol would need to see fuel consumption in the vicinity of 7-9 liters per hundred km, which is basically a suzuki. Diesel is still cheaper at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Funny this would come up as I just crunched the numbers this morning. I was looking at a petrol powered patrol to replace my diesel one. Comparing rego, RUC and enough gas for 30,000 km annually, facoring in less service costs for the petrol and no RUC, the 4.8 petrol patrol would still cost me basically double to run per annum. To get a petrol 4x4 to the equivalent costs of running my TD42T the petrol would need to see fuel consumption in the vicinity of 7-9 liters per hundred km, which is basically a suzuki. Diesel is still cheaper at this point.
    What is the fuel consumption like on the 4.8?

If you have a modern efficient modern diesel then the RUC's are pretty close to your fuel running cost. Looking at a Mercedes Sprinter I get 8.7l/100km and with fuel around $1/l that is $87/1000km fuel and $63/1000km RUC. Make sure that you use the relevant l/100km figure to start with for each vehicle for both fuel types. The diesel cycle is inherently more efficient.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    RUC is a killer now
    Ain't that the truth, just brought another 10K $620, ouch! And I did an oil change and filter, there goes another $120...

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    To be fair anything is cheaper to run than that 4.8lt Petrol Patrol.

Had a 2011 diesel Hilux. Went well with the common rail turbo motor. Trouble was I bought a 'runout model" (2005-2011) and it still needed injector seal replacement every 3rd or 4th service. Cost was abut $1k for the regular service including injector seals, so flicked the vehicle. Bought a 2016 2.4 petrol Grand Vitara that goes everywhere I want it to. Computer shows 9.6 litres/100 vs estimated 11 litres/100 for the hilux.

Bit of an apples/oranges comparison, but my 2.0 twin turbo Legacy GTB and 3.2td Terrano work out pretty similar $/km comparing petrol cost with diesel+RUC. The Subaru is more reliable and cheaper to maintain though.
    Beaker likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Like JoshC said, unless you are doing 40K plus a year, then petrol would be cheaper. Diesel rego did come down a bit a year or two ago which helped, but the RUC seems to creep up.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Ain't that the truth, just brought another 10K $620, ouch! And I did an oil change and filter, there goes another $120...
    Holy cow I'd do that in 2.5-3 months. Even at 6c a km adds up pretty quick

Electric cars are in for a shock one day

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post

I only do 10-15k / year in the old girl, she has been semi retired. Though those kms are usually not very easy driving ones

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post

At the moment I'm buying 7500 diesel kms a month.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Put "petrol versus diesel calculator nz" into google.
    There is a really good spreadsheet on the Welcome to the Ministry of Transport website | Ministry of Transport website that works it all out.
    Diesel is cheaper for large cars where a petrol motor in the same car would be chugging it back.
    Diesel cars are however more expensive as is the servicing.

In my case it would take about 3 years at 15000km per year before I would start saving money taking into account the extra cost of the car and the higher service costs.
    Tommy and Biggun708 like this.