Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 2 Post By cambo

Thread: Hilux Sr5 4x4 feedback - 2011 model

Hilux Sr5 4x4 feedback - 2011 model

Hi guys,

The old man is looking at replacing the current farm ute which is pretty well shot.

Interested in a 2011 Hilux, low km's (115k) just wondered what experience others have had with this model. Will be used for hunting a little bit of towing (only upto 2T) and just general highway work.

Interested to hear if anyone has had major issues with this ute, and any idea what major maintanince lies ahead given the relatively low kms.

Cheers,

Dawg

(3.0td engine)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Hi guys,

The old man is looking at replacing the current farm ute which is pretty well shot.

Interested in a 2011 Hilux, low km's (115k) just wondered what experience others have had with this model. Will be used for hunting a little bit of towing (only upto 2T) and just general highway work.

Interested to hear if anyone has had major issues with this ute, and any idea what major maintanince lies ahead given the relatively low kms.

Cheers,

Dawg
    I have only owned and driven a Hilux for 26 years. They suit my needs.
    But if I was an extreme 4wd enthusiast I would look at something else.

I dont know about the 2011 but have had vehicles either side of that. All have been trouble free for me.

I did hear rumours that they were selling late 2014 SR5 3.0TD models pretty cheap lately?
    Around 35k?

I currently have a late 2014 Lux. Auto (never thought I would own an auto trans)
    Really happy with it so far.
    Just done 50k.
    I can have 4 people and tow a 5.5m boat to Picton or Jacksons bay from Hokitika on half a tank of fuel and hardly notice I am towing it.
    Has not got as much power as some other brands of the same class but I am not a hoon and doubt I would notice it on open road running.
    Only thing I would do is look to see if you cannot get a later model of similar use for the same or less dollars as to the one you're looking at.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Dawg and bigbear like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

In the 2012-2014 model is when they up graded the injectors. pre that they were having issue's i believe. I enjoy driving mine and had no issue's. Like any modern ute you just have to service them. all these diesel,s 4x4 have got enough power to over take etc. It was'nt long ago we only had 2.4 and 2.8 non turbo and they got the job done.
    R93 likes this.

Injector issue is only really the seats. They need to be replaced every 45ks. Easy job to do though.

Manuals tend to go through clutches as they're fairly highly geared. Autos are much nicer to drive but if doing any towing add on a additional AT cooler.
    2104-15 are the better model as all the small issues were ironed out by then.
    jakewire and kokako like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Manuals tend to go through clutches as they're fairly highly geared.
    We have an 07 at work, I always wondered why its geared so high - you have to use 1st a lot more often, and drop into low range more off road than the old 2.8 slug we had before it. Any idea why they did that?