Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: honda or suzuki outboard

honda or suzuki outboard

anyone run a honda or suzuki outboard on their boat , looking at a new boat and powering with a honda or suzuki 80hp. only have experience with a small honda aux . interested in noise volume and acceleration dont think there would be much difference in fuel consumption .

I bought new 140 Suzuki last year
    Super impressed with economy !!!
    Honda have a great reputation - but the $$ is what swayed me to the Suzuki
    Also the anti corrosion is very updated and my boat is 27/7 on mooring in salt water no flushing done
    E-Tech lasted 10 years before dissolving

Difficult to go past Honda - price and weight is only negative on them that I know of
    Maca49, 57jl and berg243 like this.

Ive been looking, seems the Suzuki owners are very happy, they are well priced, check jase14 on trademe
    berg243 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I put a suzuki 90hp on my boat last year, brilliant on fuel and deathly quiet. At idle the tell tale water spout is audible over the motor idling.
    berg243 likes this.

MB
    Yamaha!

Only joking. My mate who has just completed his $150k trailer boat project spent many hours doing serious research on this topic. In the end, he decided that although each of the major brands had slight advantages/disadvantages, there was nothing really in it. In the end, he went for a Suzuki 250 and is very happy with it.
    Sideshow and berg243 like this.

Either or, or Yammy.
    I have a 150 Suzuki and it's great. Done 550 hours so shouldn't be any issues yet anyway. I would be happy with any of them. Price would probably be the main decider.
    I would stay away from the high tech 2 strokes.
    Overkill is still dead.

love my Suzuki, originally was going to go for a yamaha but the price and after sales support and warranty swayed me Name:  20190721_074443.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  3.25 MB
    berg243 likes this.

My old man has a honda, that thing never gives us trouble, runs smooth and quite and cheap on gas compared to the old 2 smoke, a few mates have suzuki and I have never heard any thing bad about them. I don't think you will go wrong with either of them.
    Maca49, 57jl and Blisters like this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    anyone run a honda or suzuki outboard on their boat , looking at a new boat and powering with a honda or suzuki 80hp. only have experience with a small honda aux . interested in noise volume and acceleration dont think there would be much difference in fuel consumption .
    What style/size boat are you looking at? I see on suzukis's website they're doing the 100hp all in and fitted for $15k till end of september. The 70,80,90 and 100b be are essentially the same motor i.e same weight and engine displacement.

Loving my Suzuki 115 4 stroke.
    Quiet, plenty of power on a 530 McLay and very fuel efficient.

Had a Honda 135 with 2600 hours never gave us any issues, currently have a diesel, but mate has a new 150 Honda and it is nice and fuckin efficient on his 6.3m boat
    tetawa and Beaker like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Either or, or Yammy.
    I have a 150 Suzuki and it's great. Done 550 hours so shouldn't be any issues yet anyway. I would be happy with any of them. Price would probably be the main decider.
    I would stay away from the high tech 2 strokes.
    was told the yamaha is the loudest of the 3 i was looking at had a etec 60hp on a 440 kiwicraft and wasnt impressed but the 115hp optimax that was on the senator 540 we had was really good. dealer seemed to think the honda was the cheaper of the 2 but the price from the suzuki dealer was a couple k less so will have to confirm with both outboard dealers as well as boat builder.

Have a 90 on the back of my 6.1, seems ok
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Had a 150 Honda, excellent economy on a heavy 6.5 metre alloy. Only thing that would put me off another would be poor back up if needed. Was only one diagnostic computer shared between here and Aussie.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
    What style/size boat are you looking at? I see on suzukis's website they're doing the 100hp all in and fitted for $15k till end of september. The 70,80,90 and 100b be are essentially the same motor i.e same weight and engine displacement.
    looking at a 5m frewza. had a look at what was at the boat show and the value for money was the frewza and the grandkids loved the one i was looking at and even the wife liked it so all good just waiting on final price before confirming it.