Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Inflatable Kayaks

Inflatable Kayaks

Has anyone got one, or got experience? The Sea Eagle branded ones look good but not available in NZ (boo).

Looking at something more portable than a rigid (plastic) kayak for trips away where I might want a boat to have a bit of a look around or do some fishing, but don't want the hassle of a trailer or a boat on the roof.

I'm aware that a rigid kayak is probably better for regular use, and currently have 4 of them lying around my house, looking specifically for something more portable

Gerald has one, he took it down the grey after he used the rafts to get through the top section rapids, seemed to handle all good. I would prefer a pack raft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

SGR
    These ones look the goods https://vimeo.com/220383703

Have a look at a Packraft
    https://www.koaropackrafts.com/
    Lighter than a kayak.
    Very compact.
    More stable.
    Good for fishing and hunting.
    The newer ones have storage inside the pontoons which keeps the fore deck mostly clear and the center of gravity low.
    Pricey but I think they are worth it.
    Speed across the water is not as good as a kayak though.
    Made in Karamea !!!

I have two of them and they are great fun to use.

How do the pack rafts handle in more open water, lakes or ocean with a bit of a breeze?

The main reasons that I was looking at kayaks more than pack rafts are - it'd be more for lake/sea use than rivers, durability is probably more important than super light weight/compactness.

ebf
    Top end : Alpacka or Koaro

Budget end : Advanced Elements Packlite
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

We have 2 Takacat kayaks well made strong but a bit slow to paddle.They are very stable (stand up stable).the supplied paddles are crap but good two piece dont break the bank
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

I have one of each.
    An older Alpacka with a cruiser spray deck and a new Koaro with the internal storage and the full white water spray deck.
    The Koaro is easily as well made as the Alpacka and available locally.

The more budget ones are a good option is price is the main issue. But the fabric is very thin and I don't think they will handle us rough kiwi blokes.
    If you are going to be hunting and fishing out of them you are going to want the better made ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

I have one of each.
    An older Alpacka with a cruiser spray deck and a new Koaro with the internal storage and the full white water spray deck.
    The Koaro is easily as well made as the Alpacka and available locally.

The more budget ones are a good option is price is the main issue. But the fabric is very thin and I don't think they will handle us rough kiwi blokes.
    If you are going to be hunting and fishing out of them you are going to want the better made ones.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    How do the pack rafts handle in more open water, lakes or ocean with a bit of a breeze?

The main reasons that I was looking at kayaks more than pack rafts are - it'd be more for lake/sea use than rivers, durability is probably more important than super light weight/compactness.

The new long tail models are pretty good in high winds.
    I did a lot of fishing in mine on Stewart Island last December and used it in up to 30 knot winds.
    Ok they arean't as easy to paddle as a kayak and you need to watch out for serious wind changes.
    But you need to do that with kayaks also.

In any normal windy south island day they are just fine.
    And once you are where you want to be then they are a whole lot more comfortable to sit in fishing for extended periods of time because they are so stable.
    I have a small sea anchore that can slow down the drift for drift fishing and jigging.
    I also have a Windpaddle sail that can be deployed for down wind sailing and in a good old canterbury nor-wester you can really surf along.

Unlike a kayak the packrafts are quite flexible so are awesome in big windblown waves with deep short troughs.
    That's also what makes them great in grade 3 and 4 white water if you care for that kind of adventure.

If it all goes pear shaped and you really get caught out by some serious wind the safest thing to do is partly deflate the packraft and tie it on to your PDF, slowly swim to safety and wait it out.

@gimp

If you would like to have a decent play around in one, just send me a PM and it would be pretty easy to convince me to come over your side of the island and bring them both.

There are some bloody good river runs in your area and some nice local lakes.
    I have a great place in the Grey Valley to hunt and fish and the upper Grey from the Clarke to the SHW bridge at Ikamatua is an awesome afternoon out in the packrafts.

One of the best uses for the packrafts is quietly fishing up river all day in your typical canterbury river.
    Then instead of turning around early and having a long slog out ( you end up walking a lot further than you think ) you just get out the packraft, blow it up and bomb it down in a fraction of the time.
    That way you have seen any issues or tricky bits of water on the upstream walk / fish and know where to either haul out and walk around or you at least know the line to take to avoid something.

Gimp

Have you given any thought about Klepper Kayaks, they have a sail kit. Some awesome voyages have been made in them.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    @gimp

If you would like to have a decent play around in one, just send me a PM and it would be pretty easy to convince me to come over your side of the island and bring them both.

I have a great place in the Grey Valley to hunt and fish and the upper Grey from the Clarke to the SHW bridge at Ikamatua is an awesome afternoon out in the packrafts.

One of the best uses for the packrafts is quietly fishing up river all day in your typical canterbury river.
    Then instead of turning around early and having a long slog out ( you end up walking a lot further than you think ) you just get out the packraft, blow it up and bomb it down in a fraction of the time.
    That way you have seen any issues or tricky bits of water on the upstream walk / fish and know where to either haul out and walk around or you at least know the line to take to avoid something.
    Thats a bloody good offer there, good on ya! Hell if i was down there id take you up on that!

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    @gimp

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that if I ever manage to get some free time...

Have seen the Incept kayaks and they look nice but not cheap!