Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Info wanted - 2009 Navara ST-X 4x4 Auto

Info wanted - 2009 Navara ST-X 4x4 Auto

Hi team, after some honest feedback on this model. Not some Toyota fanatic wanking on either

Its done just shy of 200K 2 owners regularly serviced.

My trusty steed is getting long in the tooth so looking around and one of these has come up

Have you thought about a Toyota?
    Sorry couldn't resist.
    Sorry no helpful info on nivara.
    They were one of the probs I looked at before upgrading but one didn't turn up at the right price.
    Couple of mates have had good runs from them. Every ute has it's pros and cons/ weak points
    tetawa and Gibo like this.

Yeah one of my mechanic mates is saying dont go near it. Other people have said they are ok....
    Dublin likes this.

I have about $9000 in receipts from the past 24 months that say you shouldn't buy that navara...
    striker, tetawa, Maca49 and 3 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

The cam timing chain & tensioners can give problems, mostly due to poor servicing. Some just had dodgy chains. You can have the chain measured to see how far it has stretched. The earlier ones also had issues with the Auto trans cooler. It's in the bottom tank of the radiator & could split causing coolant to mix with the trans fluid resulting in stuffed auto. It would normally go before 100K if it was going to go. You can install a separate aftermarket trans cooler to be sure.
    I had a 2007 Pathfinder with the same engine. The injectors went at 100K. Second set were still good when I sold it at 200K+. The main symptom was high fuel consumption.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Yeah one of my mechanic mates is saying dont go near it. Other people have said they are ok....
    Its a modern diesel vehicle. They are all only designed to fail once out of warrenty and repair costs are horrendus if you can find a mechanic who is actually a proper mechanic. We have 2008 one in ourwork fleet and its been an expensive wee beastie to maintain.
    Gibo, Tommy and mimms2 like this.

Buy a Hilux wanky wanky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gibo and Mathias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    Buy a Hilux wanky wanky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I could fn afford one I would in a heartbeat!
    buzzman likes this.

Lada niva
    gadgetman and Dan like this.
    Use enough gun

No. Mate used to work for Waterforce, they ran a fleet of them. Most expensive ute to maintain he said.
    My old's bought one for their workers, good service history, 160k, 2011, had it a month and motor seized. Injector failure.
    They're not like the old Navara's that keep chipping away reliably.
    Gibo likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Banned
    Is petrol a better option?

Our one has had a failed abs sensor twice, they are exposed and prone to getting damaged, one of the retarded "features" of these utes is they will not select 4wd (electric shift) if there is an issue with the ABS system. It has also had rust and moisture inside the drivers door which resulted in all the electrics in the door buggered so was cheaper to replace the whole door with a unit from a wreckers than repair the electrics. It had to have the windscreen replaced at one stage which resulted in the discovery of more rust in behind the windscreen which im told is also common, this will require $$$$ before its next wof. It also developed a leaky injector which would cause hard starting and stalling at idle and cost $$$$ to replace the injectors (if you do one, you do them all)
    The ABS light has just recently come back on and again it wont go into 4wd. Ive had a guts full of it, complete lemon of a vehicle. Been an Otago vehicle all its life so not like its a high humidity area or anything and the rust issues are all caused by poor design and areas collecting water, electrics are just a nightmare, and im prepared for the whole thing to just go bang one day . Its serviced on time everytime and has a full service history going back to day 1, I dont even dare drive it on the farm if I can help it as its too fragile for any of that sort of carry on.
    Maca49, Gibo and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Cole
    My olds had one, fucked a piston for no reason, Autocraft in palmy quoted 10k to fix. Ring a wrecker and ask what warranty they will give on a second hand replacement engine, that’ll tell you all you need to know.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I have about $9000 in receipts from the past 24 months that say you shouldn't buy that navara...
    Fark! That three times the price of my Brumby! And it’s the newest car I own....
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

She's a big 'no' I feel.
    jakewire, northdude and Micky Duck like this.