Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Savage1
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By Maca49

Thread: Johnson 130 hp 1997 V4 last of the loopers

Johnson 130 hp 1997 V4 last of the loopers

Just had the bottom LH plug a bit clogged with grey oil, motor was missing while idling in the 5 knot zone, but cleared on take off. Water in the cylinder. Have owned the motor since 2000, has had nothing major done to it. Compression tests were fairly even on all 4 pots, had two opinions from two workshops, one said bottom crank shaft seals, other said head gasket, as water cannot get thru from the bottom end, they’re just air seals. Took the heads off, both right and left cylinder show a little water mixture. Here’s some photos, can anyone confirm it will only be head gaskets and anything else I should update while in doing them? Thanks
    Name:  30B1BAA5-AB0C-4220-8E11-DB99C6F6C4D0.jpeg
Views: 511
Size:  3.28 MB
    Left bottom head
    Name:  B7CD37FB-CEDB-4FB4-BD18-A51A51FE6F10.jpeg
Views: 373
Size:  1.81 MB
    Right bottom head
    Name:  3E519F8F-AD8E-4206-86D4-1043CC17CD8F.jpeg
Views: 525
Size:  2.83 MB
    Gasket condition
    Galleries are clean as down very little salt water
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

For how easy and cheap it is to do it would be worth just doing the head gaskets and seeing if all good then?
    Maca49 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Not right up with the workings of the marine two stroke engines, but is there a base gasket? The gasket which seals the base of the cylinder to the crankcase as the water galleries run through them too and could leak water into the crank then cylinder, they aren't a compression type gasket.

I'm just going off of my knowledge of Motocross engines, may or may not cross over.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Not right up with the workings of the marine two stroke engines, but is there a base gasket? The gasket which seals the base of the cylinder to the crankcase as the water galleries run through them too and could leak water into the crank then cylinder, they aren't a compression type gasket.

I'm just going off of my knowledge of Motocross engines, may or may not cross over.
    Thank Savage, that's what I have to find out, I have a sneaky suspicion your right and at 20 years old it's probably prudent to do them, the bottom cylinders having water, makes me think bottom crankshaft seals, which would also get to main bearings and the rollers.
    I'll do the head gaskets and thermostats VC.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Should of got a Yamaha
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Should of got a Yamaha
    Just a bloody copy of the real one I own, bought it in 2000, I have no bitches, now get back to your Jap crap! I love flying in planes with American Engines, same with my boating, Hahahahahaha
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    shouldn't you be in bed at this time of nite. Just got home from the beach half an hour ago, good drive even thou I had a boat on the back.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post

Pretty sure they are a cast block that splits in half at the crank not removable barrels like old 2stroke mx bikes.
    Maca49 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Pretty sure they are a cast block that splits in half at the crank not removable barrels like old 2stroke mx bikes.
    Yep that would seem correct!
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yep that would seem correct!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    shouldn't you be in bed at this time of nite. Just got home from the beach half an hour ago, good drive even thou I had a boat on the back.
    I towed my boat up from Taupo this avo, to work on this week. Just been to the local NZDA meeting tonight, Geeze I'll never waste anymore of my life on that!
    I am an old retired member of Taupo!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

@veitnamcam I think head gaskets will fix it
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Look on ebay for cheap deals on OMC/bombadier outboard parts, probably be way cheaper than here. Also I would ask about this on the iboats forums, there are some outboard mechanics who hang out on there who know OMC/bombadier outboards inside out, if it is a common problem they will have seen it.