Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Landcruiser HZJ77

Banned

Landcruiser HZJ77

My Landcruiser is going into the garage next week. I have had an ongoing saga trying to do something about the shattered gearbox in it. We have a mean local country garage and they are getting it, the old H55F gearbox off my 1HZ and a H55F I bought off trademe with (supposedly) 240,000k on it that came off a 3B.

Their instructions are "make it go forwards and backwards"

Shouldnt be too difficult?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Shouldnt be too difficult?
    Hopefully not. The "good" gearbox I have has two different colors of silicone around it, so this will not be its first opening. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

These H55Fs are rare and shitty.

If/When I do this again it may be an auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Hopefully not. The "good" gearbox I have has two different colors of silicone around it, so this will not be its first opening. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

These H55Fs are rare and shitty.

If/When I do this again it may be an auto.
    Don't want to worry you but a 3B h55f gearbox won't fit your HZ motor unless you changes the input shaft. The 3b shaft is too long but the right spline.

Name:  IMG_5112.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  242.9 KB

Left: F, 2F, 3F, H, 2H, 12HT type H55 input shaft.
    Middle: HZ type H55 input shaft
    Right: B, 2B, 3B, 13BT type H55 input shaft

That info right there is what you need! ^^^^^save you a lot of mucking around. Good one @NZ32
    7mmsaum, NZ32 and xtightg like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Unfortunately a new gearbox is much easier than changing the input shaft. Not done in myself but most of the gearbox has to come apart.
    Last edited by NZ32; 11-03-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Year I have in a shitty little African back street garage in Arusha Tanzania.
    Not fun
    We had a flash flood come through off Mt Meru while we had everything spread out on the floor in nice order. To save it all we just grabbed everything threw it on a tarp and stuffed it in the back of the truck Took us a long time to get that gearbox back together and working again. But we did! It did run a little rough though
    Pengy, berg243, xtightg and 1 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ32 View Post
    Unfortunately a new gearbox is much easier than changing the input shaft. Not done in myself but most of the gearbox has to come apart.
    Cheers, especially for the pics. This is an old saga. My budget is limited and I have had 0 luck finding a bolt in gearbox off a 1HZ.

New gearbox is way way way easier and about $6000 and they have discontinued the transfer cases and I need both

They will swap the input shaft or replace it on the 3B box, or they will find an alternative box, or they have suggested changing the clutch plate to fit the 3B box if the input shaft length works out.
    NZ32 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Cheers, especially for the pics. This is an old saga. My budget is limited and I have had 0 luck finding a bolt in gearbox off a 1HZ.

New gearbox is way way way easier and about $6000 and they have discontinued the transfer cases and I need both

They will swap the input shaft or replace it on the 3B box, or they will find an alternative box, or they have suggested changing the clutch plate to fit the 3B box if the input shaft length works out.
    Ph Driveline in ChCh and Falsgrave auto spares ChCh Years ago I put a VX gearbox / transfer box unit onto a 14B without too much grief

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    how many spare cogs did you have after the first assembly?
    Oh don't bring that up I still get nightmares from the memories
    Put it this way enough to have a game of dominoes
    gadgetman and berg243 like this.

I didn't have bits left over but when I did the timing chain on the Paj, there are a shit ton of timing marks to line up (because of the 2 balance shafts, oil pump, two idlers, top and bottom sprockets). Did it in place and really should've removed the radiator. Replaced a couple of damaged gears from the broken chain, but even after trying my small porta power to get the crank gear off it wouldn't.
    Dressed the teeth back and as majority of the damage to that was in the middle where the two opposing gears don't run I cried enough and ran with it. If I'd used heat to get it off I might have had a shitfight getting another one back on and I still had to get another one. just called it.
    I'm no diesel mechanic but reasonably mechanically inclined inclined but even after I made sure I could see them all and were right I still faffed around for ages.
    You pretty much have to do it with the head off (mine was off anyway to get fixed because of the buggered cam after the chain let go), so its a big deep breath and say its fine then bolt the front alloy cover on which the AC, alternator and water pump are fixed to, then refit the head (and that costs you a decent head gasket and head bolts as they are torque to yield so nudging 200 bucks if you get it wrong).
    AND I got the pump timing out a tooth so had to redo that because it was as gutless as but at least that's done with everything else fitted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    I didn't have bits left over but when I did the timing chain on the Paj, there are a shit ton of timing marks to line up (because of the 2 balance shafts, oil pump, two idlers, top and bottom sprockets). Did it in place and really should've removed the radiator. Replaced a couple of damaged gears from the broken chain, but even after trying my small porta power to get the crank gear off it wouldn't.
    Dressed the teeth back and as majority of the damage to that was in the middle where the two opposing gears don't run I cried enough and ran with it. If I'd used heat to get it off I might have had a shitfight getting another one back on and I still had to get another one. just called it.
    I'm no diesel mechanic but reasonably mechanically inclined inclined but even after I made sure I could see them all and were right I still faffed around for ages.
    You pretty much have to do it with the head off (mine was off anyway to get fixed because of the buggered cam after the chain let go), so its a big deep breath and say its fine then bolt the front alloy cover on which the AC, alternator and water pump are fixed to, then refit the head (and that costs you a decent head gasket and head bolts as they are torque to yield so nudging 200 bucks if you get it wrong).
    AND I got the pump timing out a tooth so had to redo that because it was as gutless as but at least that's done with everything else fitted.
    I can have the front off a 2.4 turbo pretty quick. Did the water pump, took everything off, put it back together again. Test it, water pouring out. Oh hey, that is not water, its diesel! This was back when they changed the diesel and wrecked everyone fuel pumps. So off comes all the front of the engine again, take the diesel pump out, fix that. Couple of weeks later, crack the head. Take all the front off again............

Here comes the unhelpful guy... change to 1hdt and all the hz problems go away ����

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Here comes the unhelpful guy... change to 1hdt and all the hz problems go away ����
    Would LOVE TO! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Snowgrass likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!