Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: led light bars

northdude

led light bars

hi a couple of questions what are you guys using as far as light bars go on your 4x4s and how many lumens is your normal 55/60w halogen headlight bulb. im thinking about getting one as I was coming back late on the weekend and driving on the beach my headlights barely lit the way for me to see. the only ones ive had a quick look at are on dx

If you get one mount it on the roof, light can then fill all the hollows in front of you.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Personally I prefer spotlights for the conditions I drive in over here in Aus .
    I bought a light bar awhile ago ( Im a sucker for advertising and hype ) and although it really does a great job in the close to medium range it doesn't have the distance that a pair of good spotties do .
    A combination of the two would be the ultimate .
    The light bar ended up on one of the work utes and my personal ute has some awesome HID spotties that are worth every bit of the money I spent .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Make and model of your spotties Ken?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 243 View Post
    Make and model of your spotties Ken?

John

This arrangement works the best that I've come up with .
    The little LED side lights are actually on an angle so they light up the sides of the road and the spotties handle the middle .
    The Roo's you hit are the ones that come at you from the side , so seeing them early can be a lifesaver .
    The HID 's as usual take a few seconds to come up to full strength from cold , but once you have had them going and warmed up they are good when dimming the lights for oncoming traffic and back to full noise again .
    I have Hella , Lightforce and Narva lights on my work vehicles . These HID's leave the halogen lights for dead .
    I will never buy another Halogen spotlight again .

Ken

Here's a pic of the light bar that is good up close but doesn't have the distance that I like and require .

Ken

Name:  IMG_0460.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  955.4 KB
    I like these while they may not have the distance of large hid i can still get reflectors 6-700m away and a huge white lit up area in the 0-400m with lots of side light as well.No heat up time just instant light and no fragile bulbs.

Thanks Ken. I had spotties on my Hilux in Aussie and really miss the distance factor on both my Prado and now Ranger. I might need to add a nudge bar to mount something on.

I had HID's on the Prado and they have a very good white bright well spread light but no length.

Looking at light bars available at Courtesy Ford, they tried selling me a combo unit with thirds. Two outer thirds spreading light and middle third long distance but they couldn't tell/show me examples so I'm reluctant to spend coin as a trial!!

Ranger lights do ok out to 250-300 and reflectors show up maybe 400-500.... but while fine for city limits, not adequate for genuine night travel, especially if overcast and little to no moonlight.
    John

I wabt to put light bars on my quad. How much watts can the quad handle. A 120w lightbar for example will draw 10a when full on.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The LTSA won't even know what they are yet!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    A mate of mine has a set of these or some that look very similar on a cruiser. The only isssue is that they are so bright that when you dip your lights back to the standard cruiser dip, you think all your lights have gone out.
    Are HID lights legal on the road here?
    I think most new cars come with HID as standard headlights don't they?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Last edited by kokako; 22-06-2014 at 11:44 AM.