Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By Mathias
  • 1 Post By JoshC

Thread: Li-Ion jump start battery

Li-Ion jump start battery

Has anyone had experience with these? Would be good to have one in the boat or ute but would need it to be capable of jumping a 5.7L V8 and 3.0L diesel. Is this realistic? @gadgetman

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-j...f-a63197250819

No idea, as I've never used one. The Ah rating is pure fantasy going by the physical size of it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

iv got one like it but not sure if the rating on the link is true
    there is some i have seen that will go up to a 6l diesel
    they a nice and compact

Corys are selling them, but forgot the $$$$z
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Be careful of the stuff on Aliexpress. I've bought three different powercells for use to drive USB lights when camping and they don't have the capacity claimed.

Buy a powerall Element. I have one and I have tried it on my quad and my 4.0L V6 Prado. Started the prado in place of the main battery fine. For my old diesel surf, I bought the biggest jump starter that Supercheap had in the sale. Works fine but heavy.

I have seen several in use, and have worked for years in an environment, were boosting machines, vehicals, forklifts, light plants etc, is a daily task,
    If the vehicle is still cranking, but too slow to fire, it may work, you will likely only have one chance, if its dead flat, probably, not going to happen.
    One tool truck, that came around the work shop, was selling them, a bunch of the guys bought one, and were going to save the field mechanics with boosters, welding machines, from having to packup and go boost equipment, that lasted all of two coffee breaks, and back to normal, did see a few charging the cell phone off them,
    I have tried to use them four different times, not once did they work,

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    No idea, as I've never used one. The Ah rating is pure fantasy going by the physical size of it.
    Yes I suspect its 6x 18650s ie 3 series x 2 parallel. So 12 volts nominal and maybe at best 6000mAh? Would be nice to take one apart and power it with decent Panasonic cells.

Still tempted to get one for the family station wagon for the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Yes I suspect its 6x 18650s ie 3 series x 2 parallel. So 12 volts nominal and maybe at best 6000mAh? Would be nice to take one apart and power it with decent Panasonic cells.

Still tempted to get one for the family station wagon for the wife.
    That sounds about right for capacity with good cell. It is likely to be stuffed with cells that are half that.

You would need to use unprotected cells to give you an engine starting current.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Corys are selling them, but forgot the $$$$z
    I am/was an unbeliever but I flattened the battery in my Sub Outback 3.6 by leaving the internal light on over about a week. Admittedly the car was in my garage, the temperature was warm, and there was probably some life in the battery, not enough though to turn the engine but a mate with one of the Cory’s ones clipped on and the car fired up immediately. Whether the unit could sustain any sort of longer crank I don’t know/doubt myself but there you are, worked on my 6 cylinder. Possibly also my battery had a lot more life in it than a totally flat one but I think the Sub’s electronics actually prevented it cranking due to the lower level.
    Name:  2016-05-24 20.34.02.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  401.4 KB
    This article is in the latest ElectroLink magazine.
    There is also a history of the units catching fire when left in car gloveboxes - if you have one big enough to take it I guess.
    Mathias likes this.

The trick with Aliexpress is to never spend more than you're willing to lose...

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I am/was an unbeliever but I flattened the battery in my Sub Outback 3.6 by leaving the internal light on over about a week. Admittedly the car was in my garage, the temperature was warm, and there was probably some life in the battery, not enough though to turn the engine but a mate with one of the Cory’s ones clipped on and the car fired up immediately. Whether the unit could sustain any sort of longer crank I don’t know/doubt myself but there you are, worked on my 6 cylinder. Possibly also my battery had a lot more life in it than a totally flat one but I think the Sub’s electronics actually prevented it cranking due to the lower level.
    Attachment 49880
    There is also a history of the units catching fire when left in car gloveboxes - if you have one big enough to take it I guess.
    I know a few who have bought the PowerAll brand and really rate them. Most major auto outlets have offered this brand.
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Attachment 49880
    Have used one of these to start my 100 series (4.2 TD) when it was dead flat, a 3.0 litres TD hilux that was dead flat and a ford falcon when its battery was just not enough to fire. The trick is to connect them up to the car battery and leave them sitting there for 10 minutes or so before trying to start the vehicle. Also used it to charge phone and uhf handhelds.
    zimmer likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I've used a high C rated 4S Lipo for this. Turned over a 3L diesel with a totally dead battery with no issues what so ever.
    I suspect the cells in the Chinese jump start packs may not have the capacity or current draw for every application.