Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Light bar

Light bar

Hey guys. Looking at getting either two led spots, or a light bar to go on my Terrano. Only use them as extra lighting for going bush, and not as road lighting. I have seen a few articles about them failing a WOF, but see so many trucks with light bars I don't see how they aren't legal. Anyone able to shed some light (dad pun) on this?Name:  IMG_20190408_172022.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  5.89 MB

Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

I have heard that they don't pass warrant but had my light bar on for 2 years now and had warrants at couple of different garages. Never been an issue.
    maybe talk to the WOF shop that you always get it done at first. They might say they don't give a shit.
    I cant see why its a drama if they are tee'd into your high beams like conventional driving lights.

Do you do lots of tight turns at night? If so spots on the ends of the winch bar pointing sideways are great.

Have a light bar as well and love it, went for a magnetic one with cigarette plug so I can swap to other vehicles.

i repair lots of them, dont get the ones from supercheap as they arent waterproof and will get waterlogged driving into heavy rain. pm me if you want one
    csmiffy likes this.

They look very nice, will have a measure and see of the brackets will line up with my mounting holes

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    I have heard that they don't pass warrant but had my light bar on for 2 years now and had warrants at couple of different garages. Never been an issue.
    maybe talk to the WOF shop that you always get it done at first. They might say they don't give a shit.
    I cant see why its a drama if they are tee'd into your high beams like conventional driving lights.
    dont "T" them off the main beam wiring without using a relay system. adding all that extra load to standard wiring will result in a blown fuse at best or a destroyed wiring loom and vehicle fire at worst.
    jakewire, mikee and Mathias like this.

northdude
    Or probably fuk the switch on the colum they have a habit of doing that some wof places are ok with it you can always take it off and put it back on after the check cant fail it if its not there

I had a chat to the WOF guy yesterday as I have the same issue. Since my last WOF the regs have changed and these are NOT allowed to be on the High beam. You can have them "for off road use" and as long as they are switched separately from the headlights you are fine. He did say you could leave your dip lights on and use these as your high beam and turn them off instead of dropping the high beam. (IE drive on dip, and when you want High beam turn these on instead and leave your headlights on dip.)

I am looking at something like that as well as a set of spots that do work with the high beam. Not sure yet what I will do.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I had a chat to the WOF guy yesterday as I have the same issue. Since my last WOF the regs have changed and these are NOT allowed to be on the High beam. You can have them "for off road use" and as long as they are switched separately from the headlights you are fine. He did say you could leave your dip lights on and use these as your high beam and turn them off instead of dropping the high beam. (IE drive on dip, and when you want High beam turn these on instead and leave your headlights on dip.)

I am looking at something like that as well as a set of spots that do work with the high beam. Not sure yet what I will do.
    God theres some dopey bastards in this world, making decision like that means I have to operate another blood switch on my dash board at hi speed and then when another car comes towards me I have to fumble for that switch again, while trying to avoid a head on?
    Mines on my dipstick, with a second switch on the dash so I can isolate it for normal driving.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

just did a wof on our 4wd and was no issue providing the bar went off on dip. seems the wof standards depend on who does it (sort of like the arms office)Name:  wiring 001.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  306.7 KB

got a warrant yesterday. No probs

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    dont "T" them off the main beam wiring without using a relay system. adding all that extra load to standard wiring will result in a blown fuse at best or a destroyed wiring loom and vehicle fire at worst.
    Stedi come with a relay. All harness and looms,easy setup.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

I have the stedi unit mint setup plug and play installed in 15 mins. Has an isolation switch and runs off the high beam aswell no issues. Very bright way better than the same size big red units.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    madjon_ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i repair lots of them, dont get the ones from supercheap as they arent waterproof and will get waterlogged driving into heavy rain. pm me if you want one
    How much for your light bars bud?