Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Looking for people in the know to give me a guide on this outboard assesment please

Looking for people in the know to give me a guide on this outboard assesment please

I am looking to purchase a boat from Trade me and got the seller to have the engine given a once over.

Could someone with the knowledge have a read at this and let me know if it seems like an ok motor please.

much obliged to you
    Suzuki 15hp
    " Motor has generic wear and tear cosmetically. Motor clean under cowling. Remove spark plugs and check compression - 1) 125psi, 2) 120psi.
    No sign of water in gear oil and oil reasonably clean.
    Test run motor, check water flow, operating temp, gear selection and idle speed - all ok"

What year? It’s a disprin if it’s early?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

‘Generic wear and tear cosmetically’ suggests it has scratches, paint chips, perhaps the odd bit of aluminium knocked and/or marked. As a fussy old man, I would wonder how the o/b has been treated. Compression difference between the two cylinders does not seem significant, but again, I am a fussy dude. If there was sign of water in the oil (gearbox at bottom of leg) then seals/gaskets should be ok. There is a large screw on the rhs of the leg bottom and oil will dribble out of this when screw removed. ‘Oil reasonably clean’ alerts me to the motor perhaps having not had regular and recorded servicing. Water flow, gear selection and idle is standard inspection. Water flow will slow if the impeller is worn; perhaps it has been done? I have inferred that this motor is an older one and well used. The suspicious side of me says to proceed with caution, but I don’t know what year it is, nor how much $$ vendor is asking. From my experience, Suzuki 15 hp are generally ok.
    Maca49 likes this.

I believe the motor is 2002 and it’s fitted to a 2016 12’ SmartWave.
    Price is $6k

Actually the motor is 2006
    Last edited by Elrond; 11-01-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Typo

I have never hea d that before. Wha does it men?

Most outboards die of something that was caused by corrosion. If it is that old, I would want to have a look at it myself, or get someone to have a look at it for you, other than the seller.

I cannot help with the motor but II have heard good thing about the smart wave from owners of them.

Pity you are not closer to Auckland. I could sell you mine. Motor has only done 10 tanks of gas from new. Back injury is preventing me using it.

I have re-read my posting and stick by the remarks I made. I also had a quick look on T/Me. The boat you are considering appears to be overpriced as there are others, admittedly in the Nth Island, that a much cheaper and possibly in better condition. With summer about half way through, I would consider holding off as winter selling prices tend to be cheaper. Liaise with hotbarrels and come to an amicable arrangement. There are plenty of transport companies who offer delivery.
    Maca49 and Scouser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Pity you are not closer to Auckland. I could sell you mine. Motor has only done 10 tanks of gas from new. Back injury is preventing me using it.
    Can you tell me a bit more please

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    I have re-read my posting and stick by the remarks I made. I also had a quick look on T/Me. The boat you are considering appears to be overpriced as there are others, admittedly in the Nth Island, that a much cheaper and possibly in better condition. With summer about half way through, I would consider holding off as winter selling prices tend to be cheaper. Liaise with hotbarrels and come to an amicable arrangement. There are plenty of transport companies who offer delivery.
    Thanks for advice. I want get a small light plastic boat that I can launch myself. It’s for freshwater fishing that I can fit a casting deck into.
    Any hints at good buys grateful ply accepted.
    Thanks once again for taking the time to advise me.
    Have a great weekend
    jakewire and Ingrid 51 like this.

I personally would have thought that's a reasonable second hand outboard, the oil is coloured so hard to say oil is perfect etc and an assessor doesnt often say things look excellent...
    Those variations in cylinders are well acceptable. If you could have a look at it yourself you could see what is meant by cosmetic wear and tear, that and "reasonably clean" are both subjective comments reliant on shared interpretation.
    As others have said prices will drop off shortly and feb seems best boating time too with more favorable winds (around here at least)

For the sort of thing you have in mind have you considered buying an inflatable? easy enough to make a frame that fits a standard 6x4 trailer to cart it around and you can use the trailer for other tasks, nice and stable and if you get a 12 footer then other possibilities like coastal cod fishing/snorkeling are an option. I would feel more comfortable on the briny in an inflatable than a 12 foot plastic dinghy

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    For the sort of thing you have in mind have you considered buying an inflatable? easy enough to make a frame that fits a standard 6x4 trailer to cart it around and you can use the trailer for other tasks, nice and stable and if you get a 12 footer then other possibilities like coastal cod fishing/snorkeling are an option. I would feel more comfortable on the briny in an inflatable than a 12 foot plastic dinghy
    I wouldn't.

2post likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!