Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: looking at small jet boat

looking at small jet boat

going to buy a small jet boat when we sell the house after xmas. wanted something around 3.8m couple bucket seats and maybe a third seat behind them.been looking at watts marine and hydro marine ones.want to be able to have a little bit of room behind front seats to stand and fish occasionaly but mainly its for hunting and traveling small rivers. small enough to have good performance with a medium to large jet ski motor. any particular brand or model to look at or stay away from. never owned a jet only fizz boats so looking for advice from those that know the differences in hull shapes and performance. cheers.

R93
    Anything Rakia marine could fit your needs.
    My one (3.8 2L Legacy) didnt have much room behind the seats but never had the need.

It went everywhere and even some places it shouldn't have if it had a better driver

I would buy another if I could find one setup similar.

One of the best/practical boats I have seen was made out of a dingy and jetski setup. Pretty sure it is still running to this day and often has a few carcasses on board.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    csmiffy likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

scott jet at winchester could be worth a call.......there was a firm making plastic ones a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    scott jet at winchester could be worth a call
    If you wanna drop $50k plus on a wee boat

jettec or wattscraft are both good options, There are plenty of other good options too.
    if you truly want light weight stick to a 2 stroke in 3ish meter hull, a good yamaha or Kawasaki triple will push along a 3.4m hull faster than you will need.

You really want someone who knows what they are looking at to go over it when you buy it.
    you can get a lot of boat for $20K or less
    berg243 likes this.

well if its $50k I guess the phone call isnt worth making then........

How suitable would a 10ft watercraft be for a jet ski conversion with little other mods than a skid plate/rail underneath.

I know SFA about this BTW

Parkercraft

was looking at 160hp Kawasaki jet ski for a power unit . not wanting to run a big motor as looking for shallow water exploring. is it worth having the plastic stuff on the bottom of the hull.looking at 3.6 to 3.8 as a compromise between enough room and small enough to handle on my own if I get beached.is there an optimal deadrise for handling and shallow water?

How much is the jet ski unit worth berg and what kind of hull are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    How much is the jet ski unit worth berg and what kind of hull are you looking at?
    It's a bit more complicated than that, if you run a ski unit you need to either buy or fabricate an intake and grill to use in a boat.
    These can be purchased through ASPCNC in Christchurch for around $1500 from memory.
    Then the ski unit shaft usually needs to be shortened.
    Obviously you need to have the unit that matches your ski motor.

How suitable would a 10ft watercraft be for a jet ski conversion with little other mods than a skid plate/rail underneath.

I know SFA about this BTW
    There is a difference between jetboat hulls and dingy hulls and they don't all suit jet installs, also dingy hulls are a lot thinner in the bottom than a jet boat so not very robust.
    They also tend to be lower sided and open neither of which is ideal in white water.
    I'm not saying it can't be done but its not the ideal way to do it.
    A proper jet boat hull is the best.
    muzr257 and outdoorlad like this.

I have always been warned against close cuppling, get one with an H bar so it lines up correctly otherwise heaps of trouble and always out of the water fixing it.
    When hunting think safety first

looking at a hydromarine 3.8 , a jettec 3.85 , a watts marine 3.8 and a huntjet.can pickup a second hand Kawasaki 160hp four stroke jet ski for around 12k but am open to other four stroke units. also want to run the exhaust out the bottom of the hull as it will be quieter . the problem is getting the right hull shape for what I want as I am after shallow water performance but will use it in the lakes and harbour as well but don't mind if it is not ideal for big water as main criteria is river traveling.
    dannyb likes this.

Sounds cool...thanks for the info guys...will probably remain a pipe dream for me then