Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Maxis AT811

Maxis AT811

Fairly new to the market what’s everyone’s thoughts and review of them so far ?

Cheers

Had maxxis and pretty much everything else
    I now use duratrac exclusively
    BSA270 likes this.

We fit a lot to new Hiluxs.
    Very good tyres.
    Not as aggressive as the MT but probably suits 90% of what most people use their Hiluxs for.
    Getting good milage from them.

I have the MTs as offroad tyres on my Hilux.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Maxxis are slowly pricing themselves beyond most peoples reach. In a lot of cases they are more expensive then some of the big dogs in the tyre world (BF Goodrich , Cooper etc)
    I sell a whole heap of round rubber things and hands down the best tyre in a A/T pattern would be the Cooper AT3 , others that are worth a look at are the Toyo OPAT , Falken Wildpeak AT3W and Nitto Terra Grappler.
    Hope this helps
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

Quote Originally Posted by madmaori View Post
    Maxxis are slowly pricing themselves beyond most peoples reach. In a lot of cases they are more expensive then some of the big dogs in the tyre world (BF Goodrich , Cooper etc)
    I sell a whole heap of round rubber things and hands down the best tyre in a A/T pattern would be the Cooper AT3 , others that are worth a look at are the Toyo OPAT , Falken Wildpeak AT3W and Nitto Terra Grappler.
    Hope this helps
    @madmaori - thread hijack with prejudice here...

So looking at this, is there a 'best option' tyre for ute towing 3500Kg trailers or a best way to setup for that - and is this same setup still good for an unloaded ute? Do we need to be adjusting tyre pressures for weight or is there another option in tyres that is a 'better mousetrap' for this? It seems to me towing heavy just destroys the average MT and most AT don't seem to survive that use that well either - generic HT seem to be better in my experience for this use but then not ideal in slippery conditions.

We were running the Hankook RF10 LT 10ply black rings but they seem to not be that available now and the newer replacement ones don't appear to be getting the same reports from people using them. I've been using the Dunlop AT22 for a lot of my k's simply because there are a heap of them around in near new condition as people have been replacing the factory wheels with aftermarket. Easy to have a set of HT and MT and just swap em out but it's a bit of a pain in the arse and I never seem to have the MT wheels on when I need them!

Hope this helps
    I had AT3 and whilst they performed well and wore extremely well in most situations they had an Achilles heel... Bloody dangerous in the wet, on older ute they would step out very easily with a bit too much right foot and on newer ute with traction control they were very twitchy and under-steery and you could feel the traction control going berserk trying to rein them in. I was very impressed with them other than that but they put the shits up me sending wife or staff off in the rain on tarseal on them.
    matto1234 and No.3 like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Plus 1 on that, also found that they did not appreciate rotten rock part-formed roads and ballast tracks - cut chunks out of them. Found the same in the wet. Good otherwise as you say. To be fair, current set of AT22's are pretty loose in the wet on seal too though.

Coopers ATs get a lot of negative press over here for high speed blow outs and rolls. Seem to be out of favour now. Seems you’re not seeing this in NZ, maybe cooler operating temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was recommended the Maxxis AT980 for my swb Prado by a friend in the tyre business. I had Hankook Dynapros MTs on my Nissan prior to that and they had been great but apparently the new version isn't as good.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I had AT3 and whilst they performed well and wore extremely well in most situations they had an Achilles heel... Bloody dangerous in the wet, on older ute they would step out very easily with a bit too much right foot and on newer ute with traction control they were very twitchy and under-steery and you could feel the traction control going berserk trying to rein them in. I was very impressed with them other than that but they put the shits up me sending wife or staff off in the rain on tarseal on them.
    I find a lot of the time when people are complaining about the traction of them that the problem comes back to the pressure that they are running in them.
    Most tyres you would run 36-40 psi , whereas with the Coopers I have found that running 32 up the front and 30 in the rear (if it spends most of the time with no weight on the deck) eliminates most of the problems.
    The Cooper has a true light truck casing so you don't want to be running them as high as most other brands otherwise they will jump around and not have a good contact patch with the road.
    Another one of the problems is that a lot of people forget that the utes of today go like a cut cat and are expecting far to much out of A/T and M/T tyres without lifting off the loud pedal.
    Bushbuck123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    @madmaori - thread hijack with prejudice here...

So looking at this, is there a 'best option' tyre for ute towing 3500Kg trailers or a best way to setup for that - and is this same setup still good for an unloaded ute? Do we need to be adjusting tyre pressures for weight or is there another option in tyres that is a 'better mousetrap' for this? It seems to me towing heavy just destroys the average MT and most AT don't seem to survive that use that well either - generic HT seem to be better in my experience for this use but then not ideal in slippery conditions.

We were running the Hankook RF10 LT 10ply black rings but they seem to not be that available now and the newer replacement ones don't appear to be getting the same reports from people using them. I've been using the Dunlop AT22 for a lot of my k's simply because there are a heap of them around in near new condition as people have been replacing the factory wheels with aftermarket. Easy to have a set of HT and MT and just swap em out but it's a bit of a pain in the arse and I never seem to have the MT wheels on when I need them!
    That Hankook RF10 was a good bang for buck tyre and unfortunately the new and improved version fell well short.
    What you want to be running in that application is something with a L/T construction , Cooper , Toyo etc.
    What size are you currently running? Il have a look what is available in your size and give you some suggestions if you like?

MSL
    I find a lot of the time when people are complaining about the traction of them that the problem comes back to the pressure that they are running in them.
    Most tyres you would run 36-40 psi , whereas with the Coopers I have found that running 32 up the front and 30 in the rear (if it spends most of the time with no weight on the deck) eliminates most of the problems.
    The Cooper has a true light truck casing so you don't want to be running them as high as most other brands otherwise they will jump around and not have a good contact patch with the road.
    Another one of the problems is that a lot of people forget that the utes of today go like a cut cat and are expecting far to much out of A/T and M/T tyres without lifting off the loud pedal.
    I’m on my second set of cooper stt pro.
    Was down south hunting up and down rivers, so let the pressures down for a softer ride over the river stones. Never pumped them back up after that, partly because I forgot, and partly because the on road feel was much better.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I’m on my second set of cooper stt pro.
    Was down south hunting up and down rivers, so let the pressures down for a softer ride over the river stones. Never pumped them back up after that, partly because I forgot, and partly because the on road feel was much better.

How do you find the STT pro? Not a huge fan of their M/T tyres I don't believe they are worth the price that they command.
    The Yokohama G003 is my go to tyre for a M/T.
    They can be a rough bloody ride with to much pressure in them eh

MSL
    Pretty good, but the price is getting a bit out of hand. I’m looking at the toyo open country Mt 255/75/17 to replace them shortly.

I have the Falken Wildpeak A/T tyres on a new Triton double cab. These tyres are on the more aggressive tread end of the scale when compared to other A/T tyre brands. I am very happy with them. Good rid on the road, they go great on wet or dry surfaces. No tyre noise in the cab. I would fit them again.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste