Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Mazda BT-50 Feedback

Mazda BT-50 Feedback

So looking at one of these, 2014 BT-50. Anyone have one or have much experience with them? From what I've read they have the same drive line as the Ranger and both get good online reviews. I do a lot of highway driving and would be towing trailers and boats once a week from central NI to a variety of places. Some on and some off road. Most loads would be well under 2.5T so not overly stressing things or running it at max. Would also need to handle general around town, hunting and boat launching duties.

Seems this would be a good model with the rear diff lock, 4x4, pretty comfortable interior, etc.

Open to any feedback that may be floating around out there including problems or upgrades worth discussing.

Talk to @mikee .......
    Tommy likes this.

Beat me to it by 3 seconds
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Mine was a 2009 model and low Ks but I would still say Run, run fast unless you have a good warrenty with it and don't mind being with out it for a bit each year while being repaired, every year.............................................

Ours had a new Computer, 2 EGR Coolers, Boost sensor and wiring loom, + 2 new injectors. Left missus stranded 3 times on the side of road. A new BT50 was the cheapest when we ditched ours but not ever going there again
    We brought it a 97000kms and sold it 5 yeas later at 118,000kms so it didnt do much work while we had it.

Oh and it also had the head off it as well as the first egr cooler failure was mis-diagnosed as head failure by the independent garage.

lesson learnt, always go to the dealer at least when they ream your wallet they cant say they didn't have the correct service manuals/parts/training when they cock it up
    Let dogs lead the way

@BeeMan has a couple.
    BeeMan likes this.

Yea had one as our work ute think it was a 2015 model and had no issues brought it new only went in to get serviced then sold the businesses but it still going strong for the new owner.
    Also my sister and hubby have 4 of them for there farm workers down south and no issues with them.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Mikees came off the Mazda Assembly line at 4.55pm on a Friday go figure
    veitnamcam, Beaker, Gibo and 4 others like this.

All the advice I have had since ( from mechanics and salesmen is "what ever you buy make sure you get a warrenty or extended warrenty and then before it is due to expire, either extend the "warrenty" ie pay some more money or sell the vehicle and buy another one either with or still under warrenty.

Apparenty its not possible to make a reliable vehicle that actually lasts more than 100k now.

FWIW when ours was having its last repair there was a 2012 beside if being serviced (company vehicle which had done over 400K with only regular servicing and beside that was a 2016 one which was on its second motor and gearbox, go figure
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Let dogs lead the way

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    There's always a shitter in a production line regardless of brand. This applies to many things, like Remington for instance
    veitnamcam and bigbear like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    All the advice I have had since ( from mechanics and salesmen is "what ever you buy make sure you get a warrenty or extended warrenty and then before it is due to expire, either extend the "warrenty" ie pay some more money or sell the vehicle and buy another one either with or still under warrenty.

Apparenty its not possible to make a reliable vehicle that actually lasts more than 100k now.

FWIW when ours was having its last repair there was a 2012 beside if being serviced (company vehicle which had done over 400K with only regular servicing and beside that was a 2016 one which was on its second motor and gearbox, go figure
    That can be pretty typical. I really am not impressed with modern cars/utes. For pretty much any application, I wish I could get some 90's thing via a time machine instead of the more modern equivalent, and utes are a prime example.
    sometimes likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Cheers fellas. Hard to compare to a 2009 as it's a completely different vehicle. Replacing my 2007 Ranger which would be near identical to Mikee's BT-50 and it's just hit 200,000kms with almost nothing besides servicing, brake pads and a wheel bearing.

Seem to be some pretty mixed reviews out there. Anyone on here driving a Ranger of about the 2014 vintage? Same motor, trans, axles, etc. Just a different body. From what I've read the Ranger had some mild improvements in 2015 but mostly cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    That can be pretty typical. I really am not impressed with modern cars/utes. For pretty much any application, I wish I could get some 90's thing via a time machine instead of the more modern equivalent, and utes are a prime example.
    I love my '93 SWB Pajero for a reason, It may not have all the wizzy bits but it works
    Let dogs lead the way

Gearbox and diff problems with the 5cyl ranger...doesnt worry the boss tho he only puts 50 odd km on them and gets a new one....its the poor barstard down the line that sufferes the wallet hit.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I've had my 2013 BT50 4wd GLX for a month and about 5,000 kms (107,000 on the clock now). It was a lot cheaper than a Ranger of similar age/kms and while its not as refined as the Rangers mechanically I can't fault it yet (early days). Its economical on long trips and tows my 2.5 tonne digger on its trailer (3.5 T all up) with ease. One line of my thinking went like this - since its the same engine/trans as Ranger, if I save $3-5K on the purchase price that'll go a some way to fixing things if I happen to get a dud - which has to be the same odds for both.

Rangers and BT50's have outsold everything else for a long time, and given the sheer numbers of units out there some are bound to be lemons . . . but you hear the same "level of noise" if not more about the oppositions problems so statistically you might be "safer" - who would know

.243 addict
    Yeah all good Gibo, BT 50 Mazda. Nothing but good news from me. Just had one run in at 250,000kms was still getting better until a little mishap ( driver error ) killed it. I have bought another since and clocked up 50,000kms in a year, safe comfortable and trouble free motoring. I have 2 BT50s 2 different models , various usage one story. Safe, sound, reliable, economical and affordable motoring. Hope this helps huntgatherrepeat. And I aint a mazda salesman.
    Tentman, WallyR and Mrs Beeman like this.