Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Mitsi Outlander vs Subaru Outback ??

Mitsi Outlander vs Subaru Outback ??

My little Toyota Carib has just shit itself and I gotta get a new car fast.

I am looking at a Mitsubishi Outlander, 2.4 ltr model or a Subaru Outback either in the 2.5 Ltr engine or the 3.0R engine

I don't know a lot about either, what make guys and what model. all I know i the Mitsi and the Outback 30R both are cam chain while the 2.5 ltr Outback is cam belt.

Any real world experience or input would be greatly appreciated.

all now cvt. avoid like the plague!
    i have a 3.0 legacy, love it but now subby has gone cvt it will be the last

these are all 2006 year cars

legacy all the way then!
    best awd system on the market and when you put it in S# mode its a bloody rocket ship !
    Iggy likes this.

Love my 2015 Outlander oh and yes it made it up the hill with townie tires when Happy's Hilux got bogged.

PS - the Hilux has been sold - but replaced with a new SR5 LOL!!!!
    gadgetman, mikee, Beaker and 2 others like this.

I would recommend staying away from the 2.5l engines, Subaru kind of fucked up there.

I have a 30R and it is a really reliable car, not so good on gas about town but I can easily go Auckland to Wellies on less than a tank of gas. Got it just over two years ago at 172km and its just gone over 207km - only needed a few oil changes and a set of tyres. I have a legacy but would recommend the outback as the legacy is too bloody low.

I drove an outlander for about three years and definitely prefer the Subaru over it.

Got a 2007 outback, no major issues others than tyres and when I put the wrong oil in it and it went into limp mode. Can advice that the disc brakes don't like slowing down from WAAAAAAY past speed limit, managed to overheat them and then they had a wobble. $140 for a new pair of discs, I consider that damn cheap.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Outback no question for me... I like Subarus (had 4 of them, current one is an 02 Legacy GTB I've had for about 9 years), never owned a Mitsi but I don't like them so I probably never will.

The 2.5 engines aren't as good as the 2.0 and 3.0, tend to need head gaskets done around 200k (though by the age you're looking at they apparently got a bit better). Pity they didn't make a 3.0 manual Outback though as far as I know, 2.5 came with manual or auto but 3.0 was auto only. They made a 3.0 6-speed manual Legacy so I don't know why they didn't give the Outback that option too. That 3.0 is a silky smooth engine, really nice.

Tells you something when you see the local Mitsi dealer driving a Nissan day to day too!
    Iggy likes this.

got a 3.0 outback here, bloody nice to drive and the 4WD system is great. just make sure you feed it 95.

Ejected
    Had the 3.0R 2006 Legacy.
    Super smooth and reliable, was owned from 30 000k - 316 000k between me and my dad issue free before someone run into the wife writing it off.
    They're very thirsty around town but pretty good on the open road. Happily cruise along and then heaps of go when you plant your foot.
    Not sure if it's a common theme with the subaru around that year but on cruise control mine hunted heaps, my '90 landcruiser was way smoother.

i have had a 2.5 legacy, a 2.0 forester and the 3.0 legacy which i still own. from chch to blenheim and back it was $30 less fuel than the 2.0.
    at 100km/h its pulling 2200rpm and just purrs along.

I've had my 3L 2005 Legacy for three years without any trouble. As the others have said she is a bit thirsty if you drive fast around town. Only other thing I've noticed is I tend to go through breaks a bit, but that can probably be attributed to the amount I tow my boat (probably 750kg trailered weight in an un-braked trailer).
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Another happy 3.0R Legacy owner here, I don't plan on changing it any time soon. Nibblet's post summed it up well, except I'm unfamiliar with the cruise control issue.

I have owned both (currently wife still has the outlander as her daily)
    wouldn't own another outback as they are quite a thirsty bitch.
    nothing bad to say about the outlander , good honest and reliable waka.

We got a 3L outback. Very reliable very smooth. Yes a bit thirsty around town if your on and off the pedal. They go lots of places a car shouldn't go. Subaru's are the best 4wd car by far. Highly recommend.