Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Mitsi Triton vs Isuzu D Max

Mitsi Triton vs Isuzu D Max

So it's bloody hard to buy a new vehicle at present.

I need a new work ute, double cab 4WD.
    Only a Mitsi Triton, or an Isuzu D Max available in a timeframe that works.

But the D Max is 15 grand dearer!
    I won't be driving it, so I don't need any emotional attachment.

We've got 1 Triton, seems fine but it's only 18 months old.

Anyone got experience with either or both? (opens popcorn & a beer)

I have the 2020 4wd GLXR and have had no issues and does everything I will ever need of it both on and off road. Has the basic 4wd system but I have yet to defeat it.
    The basic GLX would make a good work wagon and comes with diff locks on the rear.
    10 year warranty seems good but haven't needed to test it out yet.
    Mistral likes this.

I just traded my 2017 d max for 2020 runout mu-x. Brilliant vehicles! Motor is known for longevity and my cousin who owns his own mech business recommended Isuzu over Mitsi. My bro just flicked his 2019 Triton. It was comfy to ride in but felt tinnier that Isuzu. Paintwork seemed very thin; possibly built to a budget. Cousin has a late model Triton and loves it, but he added a controller to get more oomph off the mark with his caravan.
    I thoroughly recommend Isuzu. My double cab manual with canopy and about 55kms May still be in dealers yard.

Cole
    I’d buy the Mitsi, Diamonds are forever after all..

Mitzi, before I went that direction spoke with a local business which ran 3 of them, highest k/m was 255,000, never had any issues. That was 10 years ago, same guy still running Mitzi's, same with us.

Had my Triton 3.5yrs 38km only issue has been the chassis getting a bit of rust on it (it does live outside near the coast) brought the issue up with Mitsubishi, chassis got blasted and repainted with something better at their cost under the 5/10yr warranty.

The carryboy canopy on the other hand has bubbles coming up under the paint on all the metalwork and it's peeled off the roof rails, only got a 2yr warranty and they won't touch it (paid big $$ for the canopy as well)
    veitnamcam likes this.

I went through a similar comparison early last year between the exact same two 4WD utes. Ended up getting the new model Triton GLXR, as i couldn't see what i would gain for an extra 10-15K getting the D-Max. I have a mate that runs D-max and he likes it, but did note that it rides rather hard compared to the Triton, due to stiffer rear suspension. Likely makes it better to carrying loads in the rear tray and maybe towing also. But as mine was to second as family vehicle i went for the more comfy ride and nicer interior of the Triton.

Likes of the Triton I have found for so far is: its ability to not get stuck (user luck?), slightly thinner than the likes of Rangers/D-Max etc, so able to get through tight gaps/tracks better, good turning lock for its length, seems to have plenty of grunt, comfy for driver and passengers and great on the open road too (proved over last xmas when i dragged the family (wife & two boys of 3 & 5yr old) down from Tauranga & around the south island in it on a (5,000km trip).

So my opinion is, if you are wanting a work truck that will be towing and carry lots of heavy shit in the back then maybe the D-Max is a better option. Otherwise Triton all the way.

Both have good (proven) reputations as reliable workhorses that can handle lots of kms on the clock.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I went through a similar comparison early last year between the exact same two 4WD utes. Ended up getting the new model Triton GLXR, as i couldn't see what i would gain for an extra 10-15K getting the D-Max. I have a mate that runs D-max and he likes it, but did note that it rides rather hard compared to the Triton, due to stiffer rear suspension. Likely makes it better to carrying loads in the rear tray and maybe towing also. But as mine was to second as family vehicle i went for the more comfy ride and nicer interior of the Triton.

Likes of the Triton I have found for so far is: its ability to not get stuck (user luck?), slightly thinner than the likes of Rangers/D-Max etc, so able to get through tight gaps/tracks better, good turning lock for its length, seems to have plenty of grunt, comfy for driver and passengers and great on the open road too (proved over last xmas when i dragged the family (wife & two boys of 3 & 5yr old) down from Tauranga & around the south island in it on a (5,000km trip).

So my opinion is, if you are wanting a work truck that will be towing and carry lots of heavy shit in the back then maybe the D-Max is a better option. Otherwise Triton all the way.

Both have good (proven) reputations as reliable workhorses that can handle lots of kms on the clock.

An Aussie review of a couple of years back compared d max with Triton and put them on an equal footing. I went d max on a/c of the “truck-based” motor, a mechanic cousins recommendation, my gut feeling of 3 litre 13k0 Kw turbo VS 2.4 litre 137 Kw turbo motor. We upgraded to the runout mu-x as it has softer coil rear springs and is auto, so my wife can drive it while I hoon round in her Honda. Mu-x is simply a different shell on a d-max chassis/running gear. Shirley and I expect the mu-x to be our last 4wd, caravan/boat towing purchase.
    mudgripz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    An Aussie review of a couple of years back compared d max with Triton and put them on an equal footing. I went d max on a/c of the “truck-based” motor, a mechanic cousins recommendation, my gut feeling of 3 litre 13k0 Kw turbo VS 2.4 litre 137 Kw turbo motor. We upgraded to the runout mu-x as it has softer coil rear springs and is auto, so my wife can drive it while I hoon round in her Honda. Mu-x is simply a different shell on a d-max chassis/running gear. Shirley and I expect the mu-x to be our last 4wd, caravan/boat towing purchase.
    Yeah I remember seeing that same review, was really comprehensive. Sounds like your assessment is as I noted, that the D-Max is a more 'trucky' ute and good for towing.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

4wd action in Australia so good comparisons of the modern Utes on you tube

we just sold our triton, bought a new d-max
    its more comfortable andmore economical than the mitsi.
    also new tritons only come in slushomatic, the warranty is only for the original owner and the servicing must be done by a mitsi dealer to keep the warranty ( and they charge big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
    Ingrid 51 and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    servicing must be done by a mitsi dealer to keep the warranty ( and they charge big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
    Have been told that it can be done by someone else but they need to be 'qualified' can't disagree with the second half though I'm sure @veitnamcam would agree they know how to charge

Mitsi has a service plan capped at $250/service.
    Ordered the Mitsi today.
    $15K cheaper, much better warranty. Isuzu kept telling me how good the truck was, but they only warranty it for 3 years!

Thanks for all the input team, you bas*#rds aren't as useless as your wives reckon!
    veitnamcam, Bryan, tetawa and 2 others like this.

christchurch mitsi certainly aint capped at 250!

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Mitsi has a service plan capped at $250/service.
    Ordered the Mitsi today.
    $15K cheaper, much better warranty. Isuzu kept telling me how good the truck was, but they only warranty it for 3 years!

Thanks for all the input team, you bas*#rds aren't as useless as your wives reckon!
    isnt the Isuzu a 6 year warranty? the new bt50s are 5yr/150km and the Isuzu's are better I thought 6yr unlimited km?

wow yeah 3yr warranty
    Last edited by striker; 17-11-2021 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker