Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Modern Diesels

Modern Diesels

Well after a few days travelling about I must say I'm impressed with modern diesels fuel economy. The 12 seater Mercedes Sprinter was 7.3l/100km from here to Wellington. The Ford Focus I bought back from Taupo to Chch was 5l/100km. I wasn't nannering either of them unusually for me either. The gearing in the manual Focus took some getting used to, have to rev the shit out of it and slip the clutch to get it moving on the slightest slope, only want to be in third around town and top when you hit 100km/h.

Both have enough boggy to get up to speed and for overtaking. Engine braking down hill was useless in both.
    sneeze and WallyR like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Often hear "they don't make'em like they used to" my reply is usually thank f@#k for that.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Often hear "they don't make'em like they used to" my reply is usually thank f@#k for that.
    Yeah I can see a lot of pro's, but enough con's too. I would not want one on a 4x4 for long controlled descents unless they added a retarder.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Yeah I can see a lot of pro's, but enough con's too. I would not want one on a 4x4 for long controlled descents unless they added a retarder.
    Most modern 4wds have hill descent control.....tho I guess on a very long one it could overheat the brakes.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Why? you think the engine braking is lacking? Seems adequate in mine as long as I select the right gear.
    You can always find a reason to not like something, I wouldn't like one as a submarine or space ship as I think they're a little light on air tightedness( actually a word ?)
    and propulsion ( Im sure that's a real word) but given i spend about the same amount of time in space as I do in prolonged controlled descents then Im not seeing it as a problem.
    shift14 likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Think the modern diesels have there place, much quieter smoother running, more economical etc etc..... Would like to see one sit on a driveway for 7months then start first turn of the key (80series landcruiser, she just keeps amazing me)

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Why? you think the engine braking is lacking? Seems adequate in mine as long as I select the right gear.
    You can always find a reason to not like something, I wouldn't like one as a submarine or space ship as I think they're a little light on air tightedness( actually a word ?)
    and propulsion ( Im sure that's a real word) but given i spend about the same amount of time in space as I do in prolonged controlled descents then Im not seeing it as a problem.
    I do a reasonable amount of long descents, and yes, with small displacements they do seriously lack engine braking. They make plenty of power through smoke and mirrors but for me that is only half the equation.

I think they are great if you can buy and replace in warrenty or at least low km, people wank on about trying to make too much power out of too small a displacement as a reliability concern....this is total bulshit,capacity is irrelivant...not many years ago 2 liter engines made 5-10hp max and needed a valve grind every 40tho and rings and bearings at 80.

What causes most reliability problems now has nothing to do with displacement and everything to do with extraneous shit bolted all over the OUTSIDE of the engine.
    I like driving new diesels but cant see me owning one with my own money any time soon.
    sneeze, gadgetman, Gibo and 1 others like this.

if you go up hill in 3rd gear go down it in 2nd gear and then use brakes as required should not burn out brakes and slow down safely? No?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    if you go up hill in 3rd gear go down it in 2nd gear and then use brakes as required should not burn out brakes and slow down safely? No?
    That was more the old rule. With the small displacement engine in the Focus it would not hold in first on a hill I went up in third. I've followed a vehicle down the Takaka hill that kept having to use the brakes, the smell was not good, and then the brakes wouldn't hold the speed. It's a no thanks from me.

For the little driving I do personally there is no advantage in a modern efficient diesel. The depreciation would be much greater than the difference in fuel bill. The power is good though, but I can live without it. I prefer something I have to think about to drive.

That was more the old rule. With the small displacement engine in the Focus it would not hold in first on a hill I went up in third. I've followed a vehicle down the Takaka hill that kept having to use the brakes, the smell was not good, and then the brakes wouldn't hold the speed. It's a no thanks from me.

For the little driving I do personally there is no advantage in a modern efficient diesel. The depreciation would be much greater than the difference in fuel bill. The power is good though, but I can live without it. I prefer something I have to think about to drive.
    The old mans Colorado (auto) holds back very well even towing a fairly large boat on an unbaked trailer, as well as my 4.2l diesel land cruiser did but the difference is the Colorado actually has good brakes too where the land cruiser didn't and it wont burn 100l of diesel in under 500km like the cruiser either!
    sneeze, Smiddy, mikee and 1 others like this.

Clever man like your self could wack in an exhaust brake easy enough
    Or get a leaf they have good “engine braking”

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The old mans Colorado (auto) holds back very well even towing a fairly large boat on an unbaked trailer, as well as my 4.2l diesel land cruiser did but the difference is the Colorado actually has good brakes too where the land cruiser didn't and it wont burn 100l of diesel in under 500km like the cruiser either!
    yeah, I discovered our 2-16 Colorado auto actually changes down going down hill rather than effectively coasting down like other autos I have driven.. Wondered what was happening the first time. Don't like the steering in though and prefer my 93 Pajero SWB especially round town
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yeah they’re way better, sell me your old mechanical injected leaf sprung Toyota’s, buy a common rail
    gadgetman, JoshC and 223nut like this.

Those Merc Sprinters are great to drive but jeeeez they aren't cheap, I wonder what a service or parts cost on them. They're great for a business vehicle but too rich for my blood.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop playing.