Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Modern Hilux, what to look for

Modern Hilux, what to look for

OK, since our BT50 will be getting sold once we get it repaire so we are in the market for a Hilux (Yes I know I should have brought one in the first place)

Looking at low mileage (less than 60K on the clock), SR5 4WD, 2014 would be the oldest we would go although there is a slim chance we may buy brand new however it is very very slim. Will be thru a dealer and Automatic.

If you own one of a similar age what is your opinion and would you buy another. Do they have any known faults I should know about.

Hopefully they will be more reliable than a BT50 as we have had 3 major repairs in 3 years (on a truck that has only done 120k) and if it weren't for the aftermarket warranty we would be stuffed
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

My workplace has 10ish hiluxs all 2014 plus, 3 are over 100k now and no issues. Another has just been in and had some seals replaced in the axle area (i think) but thats all i know of. Ive got a 2017 auto now and its brilliant and the 2.8td has plenty of grunt but they seem hungrier on gas. Pretty safe purchase from my experience with them

R93
    Mine is a November 2014 SR5 auto. Never owned an auto before. I like it.

I am still on the original tyres and 40k on the clock so haven't done much in it.

It is certainly an upgrade on my last Hilux. It rides and handles better.
    I have had no issues with any of my hilux utes (owned 5) and so far this one is no different.
    I didn't like the look of the latest hilux but it has grown on me like the new shape in 2005 did.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    bigbear likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Got a 2014 hilux manual and love it. only done 50000km so far no issues . Not as much power as a ford but still got heaps way better then my old 3.0l non turbo. These days i think you are mad not to get a extended warranty on any late model 4x4, it only takes a claim to pay for it self. next truck i buy i will be getting extras fitted when i buy it like canopy , bars etc then its done

So we were planning on buying new one, Deal was more or less done except the since we were not a business no fleet discount, not a Farmlands Shareholder so no discount, no other discounts that we "qualified" for but as a "good will gesture" they would round the $40,250 change-over price down to $40K flat.

Look on salesman's face when told he could shove it was priceless.

All he kept repeating was "better resale value" for the record their price was the same as the Toyota price off their website truck builder ie full retail
    Shearer likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Hmmm new Hilux would be nice and semi on the cards if I replace my outback. Hell of an upgrade but not much inbetween, got the 80series for serious off-road but Hilux would be the 'everyday driver'

I fix a few models so not bias but I wouldn't touch a Toyota with a 100ft pole

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Really... Toyota must have changed a fair bit the the last 10years.(had a few whiskeys this evening....)

Fulla
    Can you not pay $500 to join farmlands and get that back plus more on the ute deal....
    Rich007 and BRADS like this.

Keep an eye out for a dealer model. I bought my current one new (2014 4.0L V6 TRD) from the Taupo dealership for $5k under market price of the standard SR5 with 500km on the clock which included him driving it to Auckland for me. I'm on my 4th Hulux and never had an issue. Still can't quite get used to the new model shape though ....... and the 2.8 D does worry me a bit. They are pushing the modern diesel motors way too hard in IMO.

Should have bought a FORD!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    All brands seem to have their horror stories.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Can you not pay $500 to join farmlands and get that back plus more on the ute deal....
    We could but shouldn't have to,

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Keep an eye out for a dealer model. I bought my current one new (2014 4.0L V6 TRD) from the Taupo dealership for $5k under market price of the standard SR5 with 500km on the clock which included him driving it to Auckland for me. I'm on my 4th Hulux and never had an issue. Still can't quite get used to the new model shape though ....... and the 2.8 D does worry me a bit. They are pushing the modern diesel motors way too hard in IMO.
    Next model is apparently a 2.4lt but according to the salesman don't worry cause cc rating means nothing!!

Anyway off to give a 2016 Colorado a test drive today
    stingray likes this.

MSL
    The Nissan is only 2.3L

Hell the 2016 Colorado is way way nicer to drive on the road than the 2017 Hilux.
    veitnamcam, stingray and Shearer like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Hell the 2016 Colorado is way way nicer to drive on the road than the 2017 Hilux.
    Im sure our mutual coaster mate could vouch for the Colorado

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk