Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By mimms2
  • 2 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By yerimaginaryM8
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By mimms2
  • 2 Post By XR500

Thread: Motorbike carrier

Motorbike carrier

Thinking of getting a hunting bike ( probably a Suzuki tf125) donít really want to take a trailer and thinking of one of those motorbike carriers that connect into your trailer hitch. Anyone using one? Any recommendations? Bikes about 100kg. Cheers

I hunt, therefore I am.
    The ones I know rely on a long tongue to bolt to, so may not fit old or stock tow bars.
    New ones probably slot into a 2" hitch.
    Legally number plate needs to remain visible, you can order second/spares for such a case, or if you're just going down the road maybe not bother.

Depending on the wagon, it puts a bit more leverage rear of the wheels so may need/want to uprate the rear shocks.

Good bikes the little zuks.
    Mohawk .308 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

A mate has recently purchased a commercial towhitch carrier, and personally I think its a piece of rubbish. Not engineered well, and massive amount of flex when on the move. His bike looks like one of those dancing dolls you put on your dash! Hey, it works (so far), but the bike has already attempted to go through the rear window on the canopy a couple of times. With a bit of additional welding etc it could be quite satisfactory.

I have a home made one on the back of my truck, and its as solid as. About 20 seconds from riding it on to strapped down and on my way. But its on the back of my 4x4 stationwagon, and uses the spare tyre holder as a brace. Mine has enough ground clearance and strength of do reasonable 4WD tracks without it snagging and breaking.

The thread on Forza bikes has quite a bit of info on choosing a hunting bike. Nothing wrong with Mudbugs, just expect significant chiropractor bills in your old age
    Last edited by XR500; 05-05-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    Mohawk .308 and mimms2 like this.

Just seen them on the Trax web site, didn't click on price looking for other stuff on there.
    Mohawk .308 likes this.

Just checked out the trax website. Yep, that's the one my mate purchased. Just about spat my coffee out when I saw them state max load is a 150kg motorbike His 100kg bike is taxing it to the max. Oh, and you need to work out regularly to get your bike up onto the rack. A few pheew pheew valves have been left lieing in the dust loading his bike on at the end of a hard ride

I’ve seen a few online and thought that they looked pretty flimsy. Probably better to get one made. Thanks for the replies

Come and have a look at mine if you want.
    Mohawk .308 likes this.

I use a very lightweight 6x4 trailer It will take two bikes, towing it has very little effect on fuel consumption and you can strap fuel containers etc to it to avoid stink in your truck if you don't have a double cab. Other than occasionally shaving the trailer plug off going through dips on rough tracks and burning through the tiny 4.8/4-8 tires at a fair rate it has been good. I did see a nice single bike lightweight trailer a while back that looked a bit like the first one shown in here. https://advrider.com/f/threads/need-...-bike.1187421/ If it were me I would flag the mudbug and look at a crf150, xr200, crf230 ttr230 or similar. A bit heavier but not such a rickshaw to ride.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Come and have a look at mine if you want.
    Cheers, I might take you up on that offer

...There may be a PROPER off road hunting bike for sale as well... Come take it for a spin around the farm.
    I have a 42 year old Mudbug 185 and a 2020 mudbug 185 to ride to show you the difference between 4 inches of suspension and a foot of suspension
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    I use a very lightweight 6x4 trailer It will take two bikes, towing it has very little effect on fuel consumption and you can strap fuel containers etc to it to avoid stink in your truck if you don't have a double cab. Other than occasionally shaving the trailer plug off going through dips on rough tracks and burning through the tiny 4.8/4-8 tires at a fair rate it has been good. I did see a nice single bike lightweight trailer a while back that looked a bit like the first one shown in here. https://advrider.com/f/threads/need-...-bike.1187421/ If it were me I would flag the mudbug and look at a crf150, xr200, crf230 ttr230 or similar. A bit heavier but not such a rickshaw to ride.
    I was in Honda here in Chch the other day....And the CT110 is back.....Bit pricy , but there is a hunting bike....
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

I made a motorbike carrier for the back of my old Landcruiser.
    I added hitches to each side of the tow bar so that it skid in, was way more stable and pretty high, did some 4x4 tracks with it on and could still tow a trailer, will try find some photos

I hunt, therefore I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    A mate has recently purchased a commercial towhitch carrier, and personally I think its a piece of rubbish. Not engineered well, and massive amount of flex when on the move. His bike looks like one of those dancing dolls you put on your dash! Hey, it works (so far), but the bike has already attempted to go through the rear window on the canopy a couple of times. With a bit of additional welding etc it could be quite satisfactory.

I have a home made one on the back of my truck, and its as solid as. About 20 seconds from riding it on to strapped down and on my way. But its on the back of my 4x4 stationwagon, and uses the spare tyre holder as a brace. Mine has enough ground clearance and strength of do reasonable 4WD tracks without it snagging and breaking.

The thread on Forza bikes has quite a bit of info on choosing a hunting bike. Nothing wrong with Mudbugs, just expect significant chiropractor bills in your old age
    ^^ I suspect this fulla knows a couple things about motobikes
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

I hunt, therefore I am.
    The TS would probably piss all over the TF.
    TF may even be more suited to cockies - long periods idling up behind cows, not so much ringing the tits off it (technical term there) But still a reliable horse.

People want stupid money for CTs. A shame because they're pretty handy, especially the ones with low range, and light enough to throw over a forestry gate too.
    timattalon likes this.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

The Honda CT 125 is not really a good option for a hunting bike, as I'll lay out below. I'll bracket the venerable Suzuki mudbug 125 specs after the CT125's:

CT125 Cost $7.7K (3.5K)

Horsepower 8.8 (12)

Curb weight 120kg (113)

Suspension travel 70/110mm ( about 75-100mm)

Brakes disc (drum)

Fuel tank size 5.3L (13L)

So unless red is really your colour and you just HAVE to be seen in the scrub on a red bike, I would suggest that the mudbug wins out on almost all counts. As a bonus I have a 42 year old Mudbug (the 185 version) and its NEVER had the engine or transmission apart. Just put putts along hauling me, a large pack and a deer along quite happily. Having said that, the bike may have been happy, but I most certainly was not. Hence slowly moving up the ranks till I have what I consider to be a most capable hunting bike:

300cc 2 stroke European Enduro bike

Horsepower 40
    Curb weight 112kg
    Fuel capacity 13L
    Suspension 280/300mm
    Brakes disc

The horsepower and suspension travel is key to not needing to heave said bike over fences or gates, you can just jump them
    timattalon and mimms2 like this.