Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mountain bike with pack

Have done bugger all biking , the question is is it possible to carry a reasonable pack on one . Or do I need to look at panniers . Talking about 15 Ks of track
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I've biked in the Lake sumner road from loch Katrine to the bush edge wasn't too bad witha pack and rifle on the back. Did fall off twice though, bloody wheel ruts!

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Have done bugger all biking , the question is is it possible to carry a reasonable pack on one . Or do I need to look at panniers . Talking about 15 Ks of track
    Really depends on the track and you. You are making your centre-of-gravity much higher with the pack and you might find this becomes an issue on technical sections of the track. I don't like having anything more than a really light day pack with a water bladder on my back when I am on the bike. The Freeload bike racks (now owned by Thule) seem to be a popular option for carrying a bit of a load on a MTB but I haven't used one myself.

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    An easy track might suit a trailer - This thing looks like it would be easy to fabricate The Trailer- the Oxtail Bicycle Trailer is a fully folding one wheel bicycle trailer for all terrain use
    Munsey likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Get the dog a pack!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Munsey from what I have come to know about you, you are not a self flagellating German tourist so nix the bike and go by quad.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely

10kg pack and rifle easy.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

res
    Anything over about 10kg on your back will make riding anything other than sealed road hard.
    I have had a lot of success with the freeload racks triples what I can carry and still ride of-road safely.
    It's worth noting that if you have a full suspension bike you need to adjust the shocks for the extra weight.
    I do a lot of my hunting with the aid of a bike,a take down rifle helps a lot on single track.
    I often have a 50l pack on my back but use the freeload racks to carry a lot of the contents until the bike can go no further.
    The mtb can go a lot of places a quad can't, ESP if you use a nightlight to get a early start.
    I have some hooks so I can carry the rifle on the handle bars when the track is wide enough to allow as with the speed and silence of a bike you often come across game that would be long gone if you were thudding down the track on foot. Bigger tyres than you normally use with closely spaced small knobs cut down on noise as well if your trying this style of hunting.
    Shearer likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Anything over about 10kg on your back will make riding anything other than sealed road hard.
    I have had a lot of success with the freeload racks triples what I can carry and still ride of-road safely.
    It's worth noting that if you have a full suspension bike you need to adjust the shocks for the extra weight.
    I do a lot of my hunting with the aid of a bike,a take down rifle helps a lot on single track.
    I often have a 50l pack on my back but use the freeload racks to carry a lot of the contents until the bike can go no further.
    The mtb can go a lot of places a quad can't, ESP if you use a nightlight to get a early start.
    I have some hooks so I can carry the rifle on the handle bars when the track is wide enough to allow as with the speed and silence of a bike you often come across game that would be long gone if you were thudding down the track on foot. Bigger tyres than you normally use with closely spaced small knobs cut down on noise as well if your trying this style of hunting.
    Mountain bike ninja!!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Get the dog a pack!
    No dogs aloud , as always ! fucks me off big time ! .

I have quite a lot of experience with mountain bikes.
    In my experience you don't need any kind of pack because you leave everything in the ute,drive to the top of a big steep hill and you and your mates take turns to take the ute to the bottom.

In my experience its near impossible to get over 100kph without employing this method no matter how hard you pedal.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

res
    Another DH'er cool. Embrace the hipster enduro trend to help your hunting
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Another DH'er cool. Embrace the hipster enduro trend to help your hunting
    To old and fat now,just walk and sweat

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2

Free hint: if your pack rides up on your back while riding a MTB down a fast corrugated 4wd track, it can end up resting against the back of your helmet and between the vibration and pushing it over your eyes you can't see very much. Its quite entertaining really.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Free hint: if your pack rides up on your back while riding a MTB down a fast corrugated 4wd track, it can end up resting against the back of your helmet and between the vibration and pushing it over your eyes you can't see very much. Its quite entertaining really.

For your mate watching your speer off onto the bank?
    stingray likes this.