Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Mud tyres... I need 'em

Mud tyres... I need 'em

Anyone know where to get decent quality mud tyres for a reasonable price? Preferably in Auckland but I guess they can ship anyway. Cheers for suggestions.
    Thanks to the Playstation we have the outdoors to ourselves!

Autocraft Central
    6 Mclean St Tauranga
    07 578 8110

Ask for Andy

The Nang Kang Mudstars I had were great. Heaps of grip and very good mileage. Very popular with a lot of guys down here.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

http://tyreshoponline.co.nz/shop/cat...ategory-5.html

Talk to Steve or Tracy, Steve knows his stuff. I've bought four sets of tyres off them now.

I just bought a set of 33's for my landcruiser, way cheaper than any other place I could find, shipped to a fitter in town within a day. Shipping's free with a set of four. Fitting is way cheaper than you'll normally pay too. All I had to do was drop my truck in for a hour and pick it up.

I'm running the Hercules tyres he sells now. Made by Coopers, and they are a good tyre, very competitively priced. Mixed reviews online, but have tried their MT and they were excellent. Am now on a set of DT's as we are coming into summer, and I am impressed with their quietness and grip on road. Yet to take them off road.
    initiaz likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

keep your eyes on trade me.... you will be surprised what comes along in muds. just remember to add the cost of fitting!
    SOMETIMES I QUESTION MY SANITY......OCCASIONALLY IT ANSWERS BACK .!

U live in Auckland....and want mud grips.. Fair bit of mud on the way to the latte shop is there.
    Savage1 and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post
    keep your eyes on trade me.... you will be surprised what comes along in muds. just remember to add the cost of fitting!
    You need to watch those deals, they tend to be less of a bargain than you think. Mudgrip tyres are pretty much shot at 5mm tread, and if they start at 15mm then they should be worth less that 50% with 10mm tread left.
    Munsey and brodster like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yes but often you can find brand new tyres that people have had fitted only to realise they hit the guards when they go over a bump.
    I found a brand new set of 31's for $125 each
    gadgetman likes this.

Good point about tread depth - in 4x4 club work we usually sell off muds at half tread depth ie 7-8mm left as the tyres have lost alot of bite at this stage.

Surprisingly - the Nankang N889 mudstars are very good performers. Have used lots of sets of mudgrips but I rate these highly for general purpose 4wding. Inexpensive from Taiwan, harder compound, good open lugs, 15m tread depth and exceptional wear. On my club lwb they were looking at 100,000ks when I sold truck. Quite good on road - usual bit of hum from a muddie - but track well. Offroad they did very well in all conditions. Great bang for the buck as an all-rounder. Frankly you can pay alot more and get alot less. Recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post
    Yes but often you can find brand new tyres that people have had fitted only to realise they hit the guards when they go over a bump.
    I found a brand new set of 31's for $125 each
    Now that is a deal!

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The Nang Kang Mudstars I had were great. Heaps of grip and very good mileage. Very popular with a lot of guys down here.
    I have these on my old 5 door vitara. And def rate them. I have to drive an hour on tight twisty sealed roads to get to my hunting areas and it gets driven hard and performs surprisingly well on road. And good grip when off road. They just dont seem to be wearing bugger all either.

Would def buy again.

Ejected
    I have always run Kumho KL71 and love them. Biggest downside is the K's to a tank you loose. If you can afford it buy a new set of rims just for your muds, longer life, better fuel consumption. Unless its just a play thing.

The KL71 do everything really well, but sand as you would expect from a mud tyre can be a bit of a prick at times. Where do you plan on using it? I was at woodhill the other week and that place is a shambles now.

$350 each is generally the going price, got mine through 4wdbits.co.nz on special. Fitting at most tyre places is around $30-45 per tyre so budget on $1600 and you should be fine.

My brother works at Goodyear and just sorted me out with a set of Maxxis 762 Buckshots. Big tread with tread on the side of the tyre too, great for getting through mud etc... can dig big deep holes if youre not sensible though!! Paid about $1000 all up

Jolly good! That gives me plenty to go on. Thanks for the comments.

I bought a Vitara to get a bit further up those gnarly roads than my FWD Accord... The old sedan took them like a champion but there's only so much reversing up steep gravel roads my neck can take!

Took the Vitara out to Woodhill today with road tyres to test the waters somewhere near a rescue crew... It did a stellar job, no trouble getting up hills with plenty of mud and sand.

...No trouble until we were on the way out and hit a pesky root sticking out at right angles which took out the radiator. D'ooooh... Had been over the same one twice before no problem without evening seeing the root.

Got towed out and back to the mechanic. Painful lesson but all part of the fun eh? Not sure what the lesson though... Don't go offroading? That doesn't sound like any fun though. Got a few laughs from Safaris and Surfs going past but they were already laughing at the shiny city wheels getting muddy (it's a newer 3rd-gen Vitara -- looked at older ones too but they're getting a bit long in the tooth). Pissed at the damage but still had a an awesome day. I figured the sooner I put a 'dent' in it the sooner I'd get on with using it like a 4WD anyway!
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.
    Thanks to the Playstation we have the outdoors to ourselves!