Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: NEED NEW ALL TERRAIN TYRES

NEED NEW ALL TERRAIN TYRES

I'm in the market for a new set of all terrains the Goodyear silent armour AT'S have only done 20,000 kms and now they wouldn't pass a wof . I drive mainly on steep gravel roads and winding tarseal and farm work I have looked at the Maxxi 980 and they look alright , what do you fellas recon. Oh the size is 245/70/ 16 but I might wack on 245/75/16's .

Cooper Tyres for the best. Top shelf prices but they last a lot longer.
    News

Coopers also do a cheaper range called Hercules. These A/T's are std on the new TRD Hilux's.

I have had good runs out of the Bridgestone Dueler 694 tyres (now called 697) on a few vehicles I've had.

Another place to check out for tyre deals is tyreshoponline.co.nz
    rambo rem700 likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

MSL
    Shame your not after 17's, I have a set of BF Goodrich A/T's with 80% tread left for sale, awesome tyres. You should look at those in a 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.

I checked some cooper's but they were 416 Inc gst each and mickey thompsons are around the 500 each mark I was after something a bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Shame your not after 17's, I have a set of BF Goodrich A/T's with 80% tread left for sale, awesome tyres. You should look at those in a 16

Bugger ,Iv heard that the BFG'S are real good , how have you found them?

MSL
    Guy at work just got some Bridgestone dueller A/T's for $325 including each fitted. Not overly aggressive tread but good on road and good mileage

steven likes this.

Check out the Hercules range of tyres, made by Cooper.

What vehicle are you putting the rubber on?

It's a 2012 triton 4wd.

Something like the Bridestone Dueler 697 would be OK as well.
    Gravel wears tyres out in next to no time no matter what they are. Utes are hard to get tyres to last as the rear is so light the tyres wear faster than the fronts.
    Kumho has an A/T that is supposed to have better wear rates on gravel. Could just be their own smoke they're blowing. Personally haven't tried their A/T's. But their muddies have always been good. I used to use their tyres when competing in 4wd trials.

BFG A/T's are very good, but in similar price bracket to the Coopers. I found them no good for slightly greasy farm tracks though.
    Replaced them with the Bridgestones and found them marginally better off road on the farm tracks I used.
    The Goodyears I have tried in the past (including car tyres) have always worn very quickly. Won't get anymore.
    The Dunlop A/T's I've seen on Hilux's through work all wear the edges prematurely and scallop badly. Makes for terrible wear and handling.

1 thing with the Coopers, is people are getting huge k's out of them making their value for money much better. I personally know a guy that has done 120ks on 1 set of Cooper A/T's in his Nissan Patrol. He does a lot of highway, gravel roads and river bed driving. Still has plenty of life left in them as well.
    Some have gone through 3 sets of tyres in the same distance, costing a lot more in the long run.

If the tyres wear on the edges it normally indicates that they are under inflated. More pressure pushes the centre of the tread out to even up the wear.

I had a very good run out of Hankook A/T's getting well over 80,000km with 5mm of tread still on them when I changed to M/T's.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

kms aint everything.

Buy the cheapest tire you can for the back of your motorcross bike, it will have less traction than the bald expensive tire it replaced and will infuriate you by lasting too long with no grip so you have to suffer it for longer till you can get a new decent tire.

BFG seem to have very very good wear/traction rates generally, I realise not everyone drives on the ragged edge but when the SHTF traction is of utmost importance.
    BRADS likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    If the tyres wear on the edges it normally indicates that they are under inflated. More pressure pushes the centre of the tread out to even up the wear.

I had a very good run out of Hankook A/T's getting well over 80,000km with 5mm of tread still on them when I changed to M/T's.
    You're right GM that underinflation can make the edges wear. It can also be an alignment issue and sometimes simply bad driving habits. I see a lot of it through work.
    Some tyres are more prone to wearing the shoulders though, due purely to design.
    Others wear edges because of the set up of the vehicle and the camber on NZ roads. ie an AWD Prado will wear LF outer edge faster than any other tyre on the vehicle.
    If we drove the same vehicle on the RH side, the predominant wear pattern would be on the outer of the RF wheel.

As VC said, buy the best you can afford, vtf.
    There are cheap budget type tyres that perform adequately, but then there are expensive tyres that do the same but last much longer.

I have got firestone destination AT tyres on the bighorn and seems to be holding up very well
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I asked about the same thing quite some time ago
    Cooopers or MK's are really expensive down here,.
    The BFG at have given me 60k plus, alot on gravel and farm tracks
    I cannot say exactly how much as I've alwaye traded for another set
    I'll be buying more of the same when the time comes again.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

after about 8 months the coopers go hard as hell and slip like buggery on the black top especially in the wet