Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: New Hilux Fuel Consumption

Haven't even done 500km yet and 2022 Fortuner doing 9.6L/100. Obviously no towing yet however mixed city, open road and intentionally varying rpm and speed/load frequently. Happy so far.
    Name:  IMG_6100.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  2.66 MB

My 2018 flatdeck Hilux has done 60,000km. Never reset the consumption gauge and it's 9.7l/100km. Occasionally tow the digger or a trailer.

buy a toyota and you get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Did a long haul up and back down the NI over the weekend unladen less a few bags and loaded with the wife and kids. Reset the consumption reader at the start of the trip to see how it went. Not too bad considering the what it was first looking like when I got it.
    My next door neighbour has a relatively new Nissan Ute and reckons he gets 6.5 on a trip, but really hungry around town.
    I went from Tauranga to Palmy the other weekend unloaded, hardly got over 100 kph, old age, and bloody traffic!
    Averaged 8.4 one way and 8.5 going home. This is an old 3.2, 2013 Ranger, light foot on the pedal makes a different, usually about 9 litre per 100.
    I believe later models like their fuel.
    No.3 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Yep - that tallies with what mine does (2013 3.2L PXII manual). Currently longterm average is 8.7L/100Km - this is a lot of towing and a lot of around town. Mine in the same role as a few other guys utes has been far the most economical vehicle - in some cases by 2-3L/100Km.

I am really quite interested to find out what the new V6 rangers are doing though, they are reported to be better than the early Rangers but with the same get up and go as the later 3.2's. Mate with a 2.2L Wildtrack is looking to flick it for a V6 Ranger - but the waiting list...
    Maca49 likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Yep - that tallies with what mine does (2013 3.2L PXII manual). Currently longterm average is 8.7L/100Km - this is a lot of towing and a lot of around town. Mine in the same role as a few other guys utes has been far the most economical vehicle - in some cases by 2-3L/100Km.

I am really quite interested to find out what the new V6 rangers are doing though, they are reported to be better than the early Rangers but with the same get up and go as the later 3.2's. Mate with a 2.2L Wildtrack is looking to flick it for a V6 Ranger - but the waiting list...
    Recently bought the PX4 V6 Sport. Went from a 3.2 PX3. Fuel consumption is down by about 0.5L/100km but it's early days and I have not taken a canopy with this one. The wife is driving a 2.2 biturbo PX3 v2. It's a nice ute too but nothing like the V6. The V6 will eat my last 3.2 even after it had the computer re-mapped. I've driven Rangers and Couriers of every kind my entire career and the latest version is massively better than any of the past versions. I've never had anything but total reliability from Ford. YMMV but if not think there's anything close to the new Ranger other than the Chev Silverado and there's a lot of tin between the two. I drove a Ram in the US early 2000's and that's a mistake I'd not make again (but supposedly they are making a better truck now, they couldn't make one worse I'm sure of that)
    Name:  82E80158-518D-44AC-958A-36FBEE038AB4.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  453.6 KB
    Dreamer likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    buy a toyota and you get what you pay for
    Forum deal?

My 3.2 px3 Ranger has done 60K in 2 years and is sitting on 10.4.
    Last edited by Tahr; 28-09-2022 at 08:54 PM.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I've driven Rangers and Couriers of every kind my entire career and the latest version is massively better than any of the past versions. I've never had anything but total reliability from Ford.
    I've been a bit of a ute whore, driven everything at some stage or another short of the merc, the latest isuzu/mazda and maybe one or two others. I still think the PXII is one of the best combinations of touchscreen free interior, go and economy. Interior plastics are crap, but the ability to toggle the damn bleeps and wife alarms off is great.

Re: reliability... Mine has a rooted SCV at the moment, which has created a few interesting issues that Ford weren't able to diagnose it seems. I haven't done much about it so far - just been datalogging the fault and looking at what it's doing to a few of the fuel systems. The injection pump and injectors etc are all working well, it is the SCV refusing to open fast enough and not dumping pressure out of the fuel rail that is giving the problems for me. I would be interested to know how many owners in the same situation have paid $8K for a complete replacement of the injection system when they don't need to... Also, mine has been through several in tank lift pump/sender units, fault being the thing runs noisily 60 seconds after startup which seems to be related to the SCV not shutting off properly after start up which makes the ECU think it's not producing sufficient pressure. Dataloggers are gold for these things, you can see exactly what they are doing if you know where to look haha.

2013 is px1

I've been a bit of a ute whore, driven everything at some stage or another short of the merc, the latest isuzu/mazda and maybe one or two others. I still think the PXII is one of the best combinations of touchscreen free interior, go and economy. Interior plastics are crap, but the ability to toggle the damn bleeps and wife alarms off is great.

Re: reliability... Mine has a rooted SCV at the moment, which has created a few interesting issues that Ford weren't able to diagnose it seems. I haven't done much about it so far - just been datalogging the fault and looking at what it's doing to a few of the fuel systems. The injection pump and injectors etc are all working well, it is the SCV refusing to open fast enough and not dumping pressure out of the fuel rail that is giving the problems for me. I would be interested to know how many owners in the same situation have paid $8K for a complete replacement of the injection system when they don't need to... Also, mine has been through several in tank lift pump/sender units, fault being the thing runs noisily 60 seconds after startup which seems to be related to the SCV not shutting off properly after start up which makes the ECU think it's not producing sufficient pressure. Dataloggers are gold for these things, you can see exactly what they are doing if you know where to look haha.

Scv has nothing to do will dumping rail pressure

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Scv has nothing to do will dumping rail pressure
    Does when the thing won't open and you throttle off going over the top of a hill so that commanded pressure drops to idle but the fuel rail pressure stays up at close to 2000Bar. I've got screenshots of it from the datalogger - it isn't releasing the supplied fuel to the injection pump as I understand it, the only device downstream on the rail is a fuel rail pressure sensor. It's enough of a fault to trigger P0089 "fuel rail pressure out of specification" DTC and a yellow "check powertrain" light, which displays for about 5 seconds then self extinguishes once the pressures correct and everything catches up. The biggest problem is about 30seconds after the dash light extinguishes the arse of a thing drops into limp mode, 2000RPM limit which usually occurs when you are in front of a fully loaded logging truck. The other possible issues are a buggered injection pump, leaking injectors or an air leak - there isn't any air in the system on clear hose test from the last investigation, injection pump appears fine as the issue is too much pressure and the injector duty cycles are fine. It starts and runs better than the one with a fully replaced injection pump, rail and set of injectors that it was compared too as the 'control' apart from the intermittent fault...

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    2013 is px1
    And no for this one too, one of the first of the PXII series (or the data plate is wrong - quite possible with Ford).

Rite the s in scv is for suction, it is pre high pump pressure, works totally opposite to the way you are thinking
    Your data logger may not be fast enough operating speed to see the whole picture
    And 13 is two full years before the mk1 face lift let alone mk2 but sweet as

Dragging up an older thread to see if others fuel consumption has improved over time?

I have a 2022 one that’s got close to 25 thousand on the clock now. The computer thingy says I’m averaging 8.9 l/100km and I’ve never reset it. At least 5000k of that would be towing a boat and a fair bit of off-road work as well. The factory tires will need replacing soon with something decent, maybe bigger, so it will be interesting to see what happens to my fuel consumption.

Fuel consumption definitely drops as you clock up more kms and engine wears in. I might be up to 30thou in a 2022 auto. Also have a 2023 hilux manual work ute and at the moment its using more diesel then my auto only done 5000km in it so far fuel consumption has improved. you do give up looking at fuel consumption
    Still would never own another manual ute

Having owned toyotas most of my life(after they stopped making real cars etc) Ive found that they do tend to be a bit on the thirstyier side but they make up for it in reliability and resale value.