Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: New Hilux Fuel Consumption

Just home from my wee North island adventure. Did 3200km and averaged 9.49L/100km. I worked it out each time I filled up. The computer on my dash shows 9.6L/100km.
    I don’t drive like an old lady either, I’ll give it some jandal when needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, veitnamcam, Trout and 1 others like this.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

3 days......300kms each way,each day...60 R2 heifers on board.....trip times,4hrs empty 4.5--5hrs loaded fuel usage???? 392 liters 400 liters 408 liters didnt fill up when got home today...but it sure shows how consistant things really are...and also Im plurry pleased I dont pay the fuel bill.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

So MD you are using about 6 times as much fuel as some of these new Hiluxes, with them weighing in at 2.3 ish T, and you weighing in with a truck and trailer and 60xR2s at about 27 T of animals....so 50 T all up???

6 x Hiluxes would weigh in at 13.8 T, so your 50 T truck and trailer is somewhere around 3 times as fuel efficient in moving weight along the road as a new Hilux. Seems about right.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    So MD you are using about 6 times as much fuel as some of these new Hiluxes, with them weighing in at 2.3 ish T, and you weighing in with a truck and trailer and 60xR2s at about 27 T of animals....so 50 T all up???

6 x Hiluxes would weigh in at 13.8 T, so your 50 T truck and trailer is somewhere around 3 times as fuel efficient in moving weight along the road as a new Hilux. Seems about right.
    Now calc it for rail
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I know the answer. Apparently its all the 'other' logistical parts at each end that make rail uneconomical. The train itself, loaded to the gunnels from Auckland to Wgtn will beat them hands down in a fuel economy challenge.
    Russian 22. likes this.

hilarious really....... but it is what it is....and dickheads in cars zooming past on blind corners,getting stopped by snow,grit chucked at windscreen by said dickheads thinking they are the next Hayden Patton......

my old terrano stacks up pretty well...... surprised the heck out of me to read its as good as if not better than a new wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post

my old terrano stacks up pretty well...... surprised the heck out of me to read its as good as if not better than a new wagon.
    It's just being driven appropriately , if a modern vehicle was never to be accelerated any faster than you accelerate the teranno and towed the boat up the hill at 60 instead of 120 it would be more frugal than it on fuel.
    Big thing is have power gonna use it.....power uses fuel.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    It's just being driven appropriately , if a modern vehicle was never to be accelerated any faster than you accelerate the teranno and towed the boat up the hill at 60 instead of 120 it would be more frugal than it on fuel.
    Big thing is have power gonna use it.....power uses fuel.
    so you saw me take my family of four over the haast pass with an 7x4 trailer loaded up with camping ger and the dingy upside down on top...with a 1600CC nissan avineer station wagon a few years ago then ????????

and if you drive to conditions and slow down BEFORE the corner...the new work truck your boss buys you for fert spreading will still be on origonal brakes 8 years later too....... slow down slowly,speed up slowly...yip could well be mantra of a heavy truck driver....
    veitnamcam likes this.

Banned
    I just remembered today that my brother has a 'full on Dyno set up' in his shed for tuning his and others race cars. If I put the Hilux on it and found out at exactly what revs the max torque is at geared the hilux to be at that point or 10% below at 100 km would that be the way to set it up ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so you saw me take my family of four over the haast pass with an 7x4 trailer loaded up with camping ger and the dingy upside down on top...with a 1600CC nissan avineer station wagon a few years ago then ????????

and if you drive to conditions and slow down BEFORE the corner...the new work truck your boss buys you for fert spreading will still be on origonal brakes 8 years later too....... slow down slowly,speed up slowly...yip could well be mantra of a heavy truck driver....
    The mantra of a Bus driver on the other hand is 'Pull out quick to avoid children'

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I just remembered today that my brother has a 'full on Dyno set up' in his shed for tuning his and others race cars. If I put the Hilux on it and found out at exactly what revs the max torque is at geared the hilux to be at that point or 10% below at 100 km would that be the way to set it up ?
    What exactly are you trying to acheive here? Best pulling/overtaking in top gear? Best economy?
    Changing two diff ratios is gonna take many many thousands of km to pay off if it even does for fuel savings.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just arrived back from a quick trip down to Ashburton.
    Averaged 8.5l per 100km not sure if thats good or bad for a 2.8 Colorado. Diesel is nearly 20 cents a litre cheaper in chch at most places.
    veitnamcam likes this.

watching road postings..NPD seems to be only beaten by the wee McKewon sites...like one in winchester and surprisingly the one in otamatata by the benmore dam beats most pump prices by good few cents.
    Strummer likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    What exactly are you trying to acheive here? Best pulling/overtaking in top gear? Best economy?
    Changing two diff ratios is gonna take many many thousands of km to pay off if it even does for fuel savings.
    After best fuel economy. Hilux is at 2500 rpm at 100kmh D4D. I haven't looked up specs but I presume that this would be at max HP ? Dont even know the final drive ratio. I thought that rather than change diff heads I would change tyre sizes. In the past I had a BJ45 with a 14BT and swapped out the Gearbox & transfer box for a 5 speed out of a VX Cruiser as well as the rear axel. Was 20% overdriven and went well

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    After best fuel economy. Hilux is at 2500 rpm at 100kmh D4D. I haven't looked up specs but I presume that this would be at max HP ? Dont even know the final drive ratio. I thought that rather than change diff heads I would change tyre sizes. In the past I had a BJ45 with a 14BT and swapped out the Gearbox & transfer box for a 5 speed out of a VX Cruiser as well as the rear axel. Was 20% overdriven and went well
    You will probably find peak torque is at 2200-2400 peak power will be up around 3500.

Raising the final drive ratio will be a gain in economy in light load situations like flat roads tail wind etc but a loss in economy when load goes up and more strain on everything in the driveline.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.