Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: New truck.

New truck.

Looking for a new wagon double cab diesel anything to avoid ? Looking at all options at the moment preferably auto but not a deal breaker.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Dog and Lemon guide sell pdf reviews of vehicles. 3 for $10, 8 for $ 20, 15 for $30.

These are not the usual tame-reporter-doing-paid-review type deals. They are usually a brisk slapping followed by a bucket of icewater to the face.

They give a free review of the Landrover Freelander so's you get an idea of what to expect.

Their verdict on the engines: " Designed by Satan and assembled by monkeys"

From memory they don't recommend buying a Nissan Navarra, now that Nissan is owned by Renault.
    Cartman likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Stay away fron the Holden Colorado, they had an issue in the factory and something like 2500 engines did NOT get there final hone.... the result is they chew through oil and Holden denies the issue. I have a good friend who is on his 3rd engine and another mate who is on his second.The big problem is Holden don't know the VIN numbers of the cars that didn't get it so it's a real lottery.
    If there is lead in the air there is hope

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    The Dog and Lemon guide sell pdf reviews of vehicles. 3 for $10, 8 for $ 20, 15 for $30.

These are not the usual tame-reporter-doing-paid-review type deals. They are usually a brisk slapping followed by a bucket of icewater to the face.

They give a free review of the Landrover Freelander so's you get an idea of what to expect.

Their verdict on the engines: " Designed by Satan and assembled by monkeys"

From memory they don't recommend buying a Nissan Navarra, now that Nissan is owned by Renault.
    I compared some of his stuff to real world reports, and some vehicles i had owned , I found it to be biased emotional garbage IMHO and I wouldnt read it again if I was paid to.
    Beetroot, chainsaw and Steve123 like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

VW Amarok has been 4x4 of the year for a couple of years. Wheels magazine compared the common brands (Holden, Isuzu, Ford, Nissan, etc). Their pick was Amarok.
    Greg Duley uses one on his TV show.
    Don't have a need for a 4x4 dual cab truck, but that'd be my pick if I was REALLY looking.
    Standing by for incoming fan boy angst
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

@Cartman, how long do you want to keep the vehicle? You should consider that, and how strong certain brands are second hand, for resale or trade in.

Also, are you city, town or rural? Proximity to your service centre is also a consideration as some of the current crop of 4x4 utes are making a lot of trips back to the dealer.

I've driven most of the current crop as either lease, hire or other contractors' vehicles, carrying heavy loads, on rough back country roads and station tracks. You really really need to drive the vehicles in the kind of conditions they were designed to be operated in to appreciate the difference. A test drive in the suburbs is meaningless. But also, usually, all you can manage.

If you're going to be mostly using it as a normal car, then it doesn't really make a huge amount of difference which one you get. If you're interested in bling and flash looks, then that might make up your mind for you. But if you're actually going to work it properly, laden, off the beaten track, then the list of options I would recommend is very short. I wouldn't touch a Ranger, a D-Max, a Triton, a Navara, a Colorado or an Amarok. Why? Because those that I have driven, and those operated by others whose opinion I trust, just don't cut it.

There's only one genuine contender for a proper work ute, and that's Hilux, obviously. We run four of the current model, all bought new November '16, base model double cab 2.8L 4WD. Of the four, the highest mileage so far is just over 90,000km, the lowest is about 65,000km I think. So overall that's about 350,000km ish and these vehicles get worked very very hard, totally abused and disrespected, and they're towing a bike or very heavy feed trailer most of the time too. You know how many times there vehicles have been into the dealer with problems?

Not once. Well, maybe a couple of times, to fix problems inflicted by the operator driving them into things... but no reliability problems whatsoever.
    McNotty and Cartman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyR View Post
    VW Amarok has been 4x4 of the year for a couple of years. Wheels magazine compared the common brands (Holden, Isuzu, Ford, Nissan, etc). Their pick was Amarok.
    Greg Duley uses one on his TV show.
    Don't have a need for a 4x4 dual cab truck, but that'd be my pick if I was REALLY looking.
    Had one for 5years and know a few other owners
    positives - tonnes of space, the most comfortable ute and handles well.
    negatives - standard european issues, doesn't like towing trailers, if you have the manual make sure you get the gear right or it will stall.
    Thoughts - didn't think it was that great offroad, and is definitely a vehicle you want with a factory warranty, but very nice for long trips and comfortably fits 4 guys and ALL the gear for a few days away.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

I replaced it with a Dmax, won't be going back to any VW vehicle.
    kokako, madmaori and Tommy like this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by North guy View Post
    Stay away fron the Holden Colorado, they had an issue in the factory and something like 2500 engines did NOT get there final hone.... the result is they chew through oil and Holden denies the issue. I have a good friend who is on his 3rd engine and another mate who is on his second.The big problem is Holden don't know the VIN numbers of the cars that didn't get it so it's a real lottery.
    i just traded mine that had the oil issue for the new one. so if you see a jey218 i wouldn't recommend

in saying that to me the holden was a great allround truck not the best but for the price and power they hard to beat.

I know the trighton is having a clearance and david jones in wanganui is doing some shape prices on them currently 2wd for $30k +orc
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Clive Matthew Wilson (writer of the Dog n Lemon guide) is off his fucking rocker. Gets around in an absolutely fucked old Morrie van, so much poo holding it together, while dressed up in an army surplus one-piece flight suit, fur lapels and all.
    veitnamcam, cambo, Cartman and 2 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    i just traded mine that had the oil issue for the new one. so if you see a jey218 i wouldn't recommend

in saying that to me the holden was a great allround truck not the best but for the price and power they hard to beat.

I know the trighton is having a clearance and david jones in wanganui is doing some shape prices on them currently 2wd for $30k +orc
    Same, using oil... Oh we will monitor it... Nah I'm over your service in general. Ebberts Tauranga. Brought a ranger, way better.
    Maca49 likes this.

they ALL have issues (except Toyota's apparently but their dealers don't really talk to common people.)
    Buy something with a factory warranty and trade it when its due to expire
    199p, tetawa, gqhoon and 1 others like this.
    Let dogs lead the way

I thought the hilux had injector issues? Or was that the last model with 3ltr diesel. As for some other comments I live on farm it will be used on farm a fair bit and open road travel. Would also like the options of driving up the braided rivers after a tahr one day. I did like the tritons as they seemed pretty good value. I was not really that keen in the amarok as I've heard the engines are highly strung and don't take abuse to well. Also like the ranger cause they look beastly and pull like a school boy at least on road.
    Cheers for the replies I'm still fairly undecided ha also I'm not buying new have a 30k limit so title may have been misleading.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

New truck.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post

Yes and most places also, a 4WD Triton manual works out to $35650 on road.
    Resale wouldn’t be a patch on a Hilux although the Triton have come up a long way and I think are good value now.

Name:  IMG_1034.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  472.6 KB
    For a lot less than a new Triton i bought the Hilux.
    Cartman and Tommy like this.
    Dan M

I had a 30k limit too. Would have liked something flasher but couldn't spare the coin.
    Ended up getting a Foton. Had done 10000 kms and still got the balance of the factory warranty. Done 15000 kms so far and no issues.
    199p and Danny like this.