Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Noob question on trimming an outboard

Noob question on trimming an outboard

Iím having some issues with my wee boat (3.5m smartwave).

When I try to get up on the plane, the stern digs in and bow rises up so high I canít see.
    Have moved all the weight I can forward, but still happens.

I have read about adjusting the trim, but not sure what way to move the motor to fix/reduce the problem.
    The motor has those big wing things attached just above the prop.

Cheers all

Motor needs to go down so prop is pushing parallel to the hull.
    Do you have electric trim/tilt?
    Pushing the stern in to the water while trying to get up on the plane can be due to not enough power also.
    Overkill is still dead.

You need to trim in, i.e. bring prop in closer to boat. In moves the bow down, out moves it up.
    With electric trim you trim in to get up on the plane, then trim out once you are planing. If you haven’t got electric trim you have to have the motor trimmed for when you are planing, so have to expect a bit of bow up stern down before you get up on the plane.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Motor needs to go down so prop is pushing parallel to the hull.
    Do you have electric trim/tilt?
    Pushing the stern in to the water while trying to get up on the plane can be due to not enough power also.
    Nah mate a wee basic 2 stroke 15hp Suzuki. When it’s on the plane it go’s like a cut cat, just takes a while to get there.

Ensure the cavitation plate (that flat bit of metal your wing thing is attached to) is just below keel line or deepest part of transom. Next check which holes the steel pin is through on the front of the outboard. If it’s too far out, the outboard can’t tuck in, so the stern will be pushed down and the bow will lift. If the pin is in a hole closer to the transom, the bow should be pushed down as compared with first setting. TBH, I hate the ‘wing things’ as to me, the y are an add on to remedy a problem that should not be there.
    outlander likes this.

Just checked, it’s in the 2nd hole nearest the hull.

Will that be why it seems to skip sideways across the water when going quickly? Feels almost unstable.

Are there resources anywhere I can read to better understand what’s going on and how to get it just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    Just checked, it’s in the 2nd hole nearest the hull.

Will that be why it seems to skip sideways across the water when going quickly? Feels almost unstable.

Are there resources anywhere I can read to better understand what’s going on and how to get it just right.
    remove pin and move close to hull should make a difference and sit forward maybe a tiller extension also tank forward etc
    rugerman and stingray like this.

Try your local Coastguard for one of their books. They used to have an excellent resource called “Safety in Small Boats”. Had everything!
    Elrond likes this.

Thanks

The bow will always rise when getting onto plane, a 15hp is probably on the small side for a smartwave 3500, so it will take longer to get on plane hence your problem.
    m101a1 likes this.

get down behind outboard and look along fins..they should be roughly parallel to bum of boat. too far in will drop nose,too far out and you get the rise you have now...will get it majorly in shallow water drive..... in my 13foot fryan I end up way forward if solo and boat fair hums along.....if really game I do solo titanic impersination...run rope from front.hold in right hand,tiller extension in left hand,Im standing 3/4 of way towards front of boat with foot on bottom one each side...almost like Im wake boarding etc...real buzz and can get up quite a bit of speed..41kmph.

A few quick zig zags with the motor help pop you up out of the hole and get the nose down if its riding high, its what I have to do if running my dinghy solo without enough weight in the front
    stingray likes this.

if its skittery at high speed thats because you dont have much of the hull in the water , try moving pin one hole closer to the transom as it sounds like trimmed too far out. also look at getting longer fuel line and put tank right up in the bow.

wedges are available to help with outboard trim issues if you have only 1 hole to play with on your outboard. These ones are probably too big but you could get someone like acucut in oamaru to make you some nice ones out of 5052 or 5083 alloy. Make some roughies out of timber first, try them and then send them the plans. Or get a bit of hdpe plastic and take it to a joiner and get them to machine it into a wedge. Looks like that hull has known issues with nose up onto the plane and a wet arse coming off the plane you might just have to live with it.
    stingray and Elrond like this.

Gonna move fuel tank first. Does the bulb go at the tank or at the motor? Or doesn’t it matter?