Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Noob question on trimming an outboard

Look at the stainless clamps on the hose fittings. There will be arrows showing the direction of fuel flow.

Thanks . I get that. But I’m going to get a new hose and fittings to extend it. Does the bulb go at the tank end or the motor end of the hose?

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    Thanks . I get that. But I’m going to get a new hose and fittings to extend it. Does the bulb go at the tank end or the motor end of the hose?
    The bulb will have a flow direction arrow on it so depends on what one you have . What ever yo do DO NOT buy the cheap grey/silver lines they turn to shit in months go to boat dealer and buy genuine or yamaha hose and bulb and get them to crimp your suzuki fittings to hose . Even goodyear auto hose is good with a gen bulb and gen ends , the cheapys go hard within months .
    Ingrid 51 and Got-ya like this.

More where is convenient for the operator. But most pumps will push to a higher head than they will suck, so the tank end may be more efficient.
    jackson21 and Elrond like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Thought Id let you know the outcome of the work I did following the excellent advice I got from you good buggers.

So I built a frame out of square tube ali and made some spaces I order to move the fuel forward.
    Put a floor on it with 18mm ply and carpeted it.

Name:  546F9D7A-BD28-4528-8966-4690CF5502CC.jpeg
Views: 75
Size:  4.98 MB
    Took it out for a shake down tonight.
    Opened the throttle, the bow lifted and quickly dropped down, right onto the plane.
    Boat rides fab now.

Thanks again fullas.
    veitnamcam, Beaker, Joe_90 and 1 others like this.

Weight in the bow to trim the thing a bit more normally rather than relying solely on hydrodynamic forces under the hull to do it for you.

Sounds like that hull would benefit from a bit more donkey, not for top line speed but to overcome the stickiness of the hull. It's got a very fat arse from the look of it, a less beamy hull will usually be drier and take less power to drive than a beamier one length for length. But, the narrower one won't be as stable at rest although you can take it through much lumpier seas without it pounding your sphincter into your skull.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy Six View Post
    The bow will always rise when getting onto plane, a 15hp is probably on the small side for a smartwave 3500, so it will take longer to get on plane hence your problem.
    This ^^^^^^ more hp will solve problem, 15hp ain't much when you want to plane

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    This ^^^^^^ more hp will solve problem, 15hp ain't much when you want to plane
    It planes perfectly now that I’ve moved weight forward and adjusted the trim.
    It really does not need any more power.

It planes perfectly now that I’ve moved weight forward and adjusted the trim.
    It really does not need any more power.
    How’s acceleration, one thing that is relevant is in a following sea being able to give a squirt to stop one coming in over the back although it might not be too relevant for the type of boating you are doing in a hull that size...

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Hows acceleration, one thing that is relevant is in a following sea being able to give a squirt to stop one coming in over the back although it might not be too relevant for the type of boating you are doing in a hull that size...
    Its not too bad. I really only fish freshwater, so other that shitty days on the tussock lakes, waves are not a huge problem.
    I fish solo (mainly because Im an antisocial cnut) so it works out powerful enough, for now.
    Last edited by Elrond; 04-03-2021 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Typo