Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Nothing to do with Hunting - Off Road Tip Trailer

Hello Guys

Its the broken down old fencing contractor here . . . . I get quite a bit of digger and tree work asked of me when I'm doing lifestyle block fencing, we use a 2.5 tonne digger for a lot of out fencing and its good when someone asks "while you're here could you just" . . . "just" being a very expensive four letter word.

Anyhoo I need a tip trailer that can handle a bit of dirt/metal etc and tree waste, it'll only be carted short distances, usually within the same property. Its always going to be used behind the tractor, the last thing I want is to get into competition with the digger and truck guys.

So I was thinking of a tipper or dumper type farm trailer - it'll have to low enough to load over the side with a 2.5 tonne digger.

My tractor is a modern 4wd of 85HP and I work in mostly flat terrain - often pretty soft and sandy - thoughts on how many tonnes my 85 HP will handle well . . . . 5 tonnes?? 8 tonnes??

Had a mate modify a tandem trailer into a tipper with a garage door spring (Tilta door) a 12v 4wd winch and a bit of kiwi know how. It operates from a switch in the dash through the trailer plug. But if you are being paid for it, you may need something a little more "professional"........

a lot will depend on the trailer as in tires and point of balance.easiest option look for a small tip truck that has been smacked in the front and written off cut the chassis just in front of the front of the deck and make a draw bar then all you have to do is fit hoses to the lift ram that connect to your tractor hydraulics and decide if you want a hydraulic taildoor or a fixed one that stays in place but as deck is tipped there will be an opening.i would go with a hydraulic one as it can be pivoted from up the deck to give a large opening for things like tree branches but can also be used for spreading gravel.we had three tip trailers for tractors on the farm I used to work on. one trailer I could put 15 heaped buckets of gravel on with a 20 ton digger and pulled it with a 190hp valtra, pulling is easy stopping with no trailer brakes is a bit more exciting at 50kmh the smallest one we would put between 5 or 6 buckets depending on what tractor and how much off road it was going. I would recommend one and a half times the weight of your tractor as a safe load for handling and not wrecking your tractor.duel wheels are good on road for a trailer but bigger flotation tires are better in the paddock and bigger rolling radius are better again.all the trailers had a oscillating tandem axle where the wheel stubs are at each end of a piece of box section and can pivot up and down for uneven ground and independent each side.

A three tonne Giltrap or something similar would be about right. I have one which I towed with a 80 horse Holland. Deck is about 1100mm off the ground. Dirt and light fill like trees etc it was a breeze to tow. But loaded with metal it was hard work if there was any contour involved. Flat ground is ok. The sticker says three tonne, but there's room for more than three tonne so I usually load it up.
    I upsized to a 95 horse tractor (electronic piece of wizardry which drives me nuts) and could probably handle about a five tonne trailer now. Any bigger and I would probably end up in trouble.
    Overkill is still dead.