Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Off road tyres failed warrant of fitness

Off road tyres failed warrant of fitness

Have folk had their trucks warrant failed recently for off road tyres. Have a Ford Ranger with ARB lift and Mickey Thompson AT 285/75/16 tyres. Passed the warrant last year but not this year. Apparently tyres >5% bigger than stock require certification. Width for me not a problem but after research found that if the tyres are >25mm wider than original body panel, irrespective of flares added, then certification required as well. Seen a lot of trucks around the Tron that I assume are not warrantable. Do guys just swap out tyres for road tyres for the warrant or go the certification route? Certification cost me $725, cheaper than another set of tyres.

Way back when I had to get my surf certified because it came with wheels bigger than factory. Also had flared arches fitted. It had passed several warrants before I was made to certify it.
    Cordite likes this.

The rule used to be (may have changed) that the tread (not the sidewall buldge) must be inside the factory bodywork (factory flares count additional flares dont.) for a warrant.
    Going by the amount of utes round here with half the tire outside the guards they either have freindly warrent guys or a factory set of wheels to put on come warrant time.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll be dragging out my old steel rims then for the safari and shoe them with 265's for warrent day.

I have factory size tyres but are MT on steel rims on my 2007 Pajero. The tread is borderline but acceptable according to my wof tester (i have been to my local garage and VTNZ) with the vehicle trim so i added custom flares to keep the dirt flick off at bay and keep the wof guys more happy. My factory mag AT tyres are all good/standard for compliance. Though i continue to pass a yearly WOF with the MT tyres, there are many others i see with obvious extended wheels on newer 4wd's that i suspect would not be covered in an accident let alone should pass a wof? Why risk it on some of those expensive Rangers etc? Each to there own.

DPT
    I bought my 2016 Ranger with wider wheels and flares fitted, when i went for the first wof after 3 years was up it failed because of the wider wheels. I told them that is how i bought it new (from them) they paid for the cert.

Apparently a year earlier things had got a lot tougher with wofs, inspectors were losing their license for not following the book 100%
    Rich007, Micky Duck and Hunteast like this.

WoF regs have changed for tyres and wheels in the last 6mths or so.
    Used to be only allowed a total wheel track width increase of 25mm before cert was required. Now you can go wider 25mm past factory guards so long as all tyre is covered by a flare.

The 5% max increase in wheel/tyre circumference has always need a rule.

Here's the WoF VIRM (regs us AVIs have to follow)
    https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....heels-and-hubs
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    WoF regs have changed for tyres and wheels in the last 6mths or so.
    Used to be only allowed a total wheel track width increase of 25mm before cert was required. Now you can go wider 25mm past factory guards so long as all tyre is covered by a flare.

The 5% max increase in wheel/tyre circumference has always need a rule.

Here's the WoF VIRM (regs us AVIs have to follow)
    https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....heels-and-hubs
    Being the pertinent bit.

I get utes through all the time, covered in shit, cobwebby factory wheels, then see them a couple days later with the 33s back on (as do you probably). It's a time of test thing, not my problem anymore.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I sold my faithful old diesel-Courier, week before last, to buy a people-mover to address our needs. Bought a tidy 2nd-gen Honda Stream, with 17" factory-mags ( 205/55/17 ). Phoned to cancel ute insurance and have the Stream covered. All went well, then got a call back from the same person I'd dealt with. Lumley Insurance are the Underwriters for Westpac, apparently they arent happy about the Mags and claim they are off the Sports model of the same year. (which for some reason is 2k slower than std model) I have to get back to them, and dont know if I am even covered at this point. The mags are clearly labeled Honda. PN Honda have looked at the vehicle and confirmed that they were available upgrades from new, along with other upgrades that they pointed-out, were on my vehicle. Part of the insurance process/disclosures was about Mags, and/or wheel modifications (and exhaust). They didnt want a bar of 'aftermarket' ones, ie, wouldnt cover it, suggesting that if you fitted them after the fact, then made a claim, it wouldnt be covered. WTF! where has commonsense gone ? I would bet, you wouldnt be covered by Insurance with mud-tyres.
    Micky Duck likes this.

put different tires on to get the warrant and just take it somewhere else next time

pricks like that piss me off

how much safer will you be after the certification?
    rewa and trapperjohn like this.

It's all about insurance cover - claim on an accident with tyres not certified for your type of vehicle or agreed with on your insurance, what a waste of premiums. All my mods such a snorkel, 2" lift, MT tyres - i took photos, provided details and sent to my insurance - state. All covered. Keep it simple and up front for peace of mind.
    Trout, keneff and rewa like this.

One of the two local jeep here in the tron:
    Name:  IMG_2945.JPG
Views: 792
Size:  1.87 MB
    veitnamcam and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    One of the two local jeep here in the tron:
    Attachment 174667
    I wonder if it's ever been off road ?
    rewa and Hunteast like this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    I wonder if it's ever been off road ?
    Wonder what happens when he gets a puncture, that spare looks a little small

Didnt you know,big tyers dont get punctures on shiney truck.
    rewa likes this.