Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt2308
  • 1 Post By Grunta

Thread: Old Ghost Rd trail

Old Ghost Rd trail

Hi all,

the boss and I are doing this by mountain bike in October. Im interested to know whether people who have done this, used a saddle mount to carry gear or just a small backpack - no more than 30l. I personally would backpack it, but the boss rekons a saddle mount might be better.

cheers,
    G

Conventional wisdom says attach weight to the bike. I say whatever you are comfortable with.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

res
    I used freeload brand(since bought out and rebranded I believe) when I did it as I have found this the best way to carry load on a full suspension mountain bike-have done a lot of off road touring(and Mtb assisted hunting) with them since I got them.
    Using Tapatalk

Through the mokinui gorge? They must have spent a few bucks putting it in, we went in around 92 and the track was maintained for about 2hrs and then quite sporting. That was in spring, late summer of that year a gent got picked tending to a few hundred green tomato's up the forks. Big country up there apparently its a busy track

Yes, they spent a lot putting the track in. I stayed at Specimen Creek a couple of years back when we put the bridges in over the slips below the hut.
    Nice bit of country, very few people had been in on the track when we worked up there and it was pretty untouched for a long time.
    Shearer likes this.

Cheers for the replies guys. I'll have more of a look into a saddle system.

Could always look into a trailer? Know this what the old man uses when off road touring in aussie

Trailer is a definite no go on this ride. It's a grade 4+ so is pretty gnarly in places. This is one reason why I also think 30L (Max) pack would be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunta View Post
    Trailer is a definite no go on this ride. It's a grade 4+ so is pretty gnarly in places. This is one reason why I also think 30L (Max) pack would be easier.
    I'd opt for a pack as well, easier to go for quick evening wanders that way

res
    I have done a lot of Mtb with a trailer, have one with suspension etc.
    you really can take them very "interesting" places once you get the hang of it but the way they push you through corners etc can be very iffy-allso a major pain if you have to push or carry the bike due to bridges/slips etc. the small rear wheel can really get hung up on stuff that the rest of the bike just rolls over.

A pack is really not ideal as it throws of your balance on technical sections and most packs are not intended for carrying loads in the position you are in on a bike-especially in technical sections. You may also have issues with the back of your helmet hitting the top of the pack at just the wrong time.

If you think you only need 30l in total a normal sized 10-15 Mtb hydration pack and one rack or bag on the bike should do the trick.

Keep in mind that regardless on what method you use that you will need to adjust your shocks to make up for the extra weight
    Using Tapatalk

Cheers again guys, all good info
    res likes this.

Grunta.....Sheddies in Motueka do pack frames & panniers at reasonable prices....or try Cycle Obsession in Tauranga .....he has a good selection and is a good bugger....

Cheers @BruceY

use saddle bags mate, much easier on the back.
    Revelate Designs Viscacha

i have one of these and was great