Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Flyblown
  • 1 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By ONYVA
  • 1 Post By Tommy

Thread: Post sale servicing

Post sale servicing

So you’ve just bought a new (second hand) car. Due to wanting to reset it to square one in terms of servicing, what would you do?

In my case I’ve just bought a 2005 Subaru Outback. The previous owner said it was due a service and has 112000ks on the clock. It’s chain driven so forget the timing belt. I’m thinking all new fluids throughout as well as filters and new spark plugs. Would any of you learned people do anything different?

firstly i would be absolutely positive its chain driven, most diesels of that era were most petrols were belt. best be sure

spark plug changing is a pain in the ass, theres not much room to play with. definitely do the fluids, i would put an oil flush thru first too. i'm on my 3rd subaru, i wont be buying a newer one till they ditch the cvt

Make sure you do the brake fluid, as over time it absorbs a wee bit of water and that corrodes the inside of the ABS system, particulary the sensors.

If its auto, get a full box service, which includes removal of the pan, thorough clean out of all the gunk and a new filter. Just dropping the trans fluid and replacing does not achieve much if the grey gunk is left inside. A proper box flush on the machine is essential.

If its manual, a warm box oil change will suffice.

Diffs need to be done I would assume as part of the schedule, they may have already been done at 80-90,000km, check the records. If you have any doubts, just do them. Front, centre and rear.

Double check the CV boots, if they are looking tired and about to split, get them replaced. This is one thing that will fail eventually and often does not get picked up by an owner until wof time. By which time all the grease has been chucked out and the CV joint will be full of water and grit.

Get the ECU checked for fault codes. Very simple, plug in the scanner. Can reveal underlying problems that you otherwise wouldn’t know about, e.g. dicky sensors.

Subarus are fantastic cars. I was into Impreza when I was younger and even more foolish, loved them.
    veitnamcam and csmiffy like this.

water pump if not already done and chain tensioner at the same time, timing chain does not mean maintenance free, things still wear out

Engine code EJ (4cyl) = timing belt
    Engine code EZ (6cyl) = timing chain

There were no diesels back in 2005.

If it's chain its the 3.0 EZ30 rather than the Ej20/25 models. I'd do plugs and a radiator flush, zip some fresh brake fluid through it, and maybe a trans flush if you can be arsed. I think fire guys get discount at Partmaster, if not, PM me and I'll suss you the bits cheap from there or one of the other two outfits

EDIT: The EZ is great, it'll have a tow rating of 1800kg vs the 800kg the 2.0 has. Clutches are expensive though
    Tuckerbox likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Engine code EJ (4cyl) = timing belt
    Engine code EZ (6cyl) = timing chain

There were no diesels back in 2005.
    yup you are right:

Subaru Impreza Timing Belt Or Chain? (1992 – 2017) | Auto Parts Replacement Costs

I believe most timing chains are good for 200k'ish. When doing them replace adjusters and guides as applicable.
    They still wear out but less likely to just fail and wreck your engine.

Yup it’s the 3.0. 5EAT trans. I was planning to dump the trans fluid and filter, but I’m not feeling 100% on pulling the pan off. Happy to do all diff oils myself too but a little unsure on the front and centre diffs.

front and centre diffs are the g/box oil as well, all the info you will need and more is on google, they are easy to work on generally but 6 cyl spark plugs not so much.
    Tuckerbox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerbox View Post
    Yup it’s the 3.0. 5EAT trans. I was planning to dump the trans fluid and filter, but I’m not feeling 100% on pulling the pan off. Happy to do all diff oils myself too but a little unsure on the front and centre diffs.
    Can assist depending on when/where
    Frogfeatures likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt