Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Quad bike recomendations

Quad bike recomendations

I'm looking at getting a quad for hunting. Last time I used one was a Suzuki manual King Quad. Was a great bike around the farm, but hard work on the hills when spot lighting with one hand, and steering with the other, so will be looking for something with power steering this time around. Also, seems like everything these days has CVT transmissions.

So, what are you guys using make and model wise? What's your hunting set up look like?

Best I can see at the moment in terms of dollar for value is the Polaris 570 UTE. It has power steering and decent control. Also a plus is that they have gone for sealed joints and drive shafts which are all greaseable.

Polaris 570 UTE
    Thats me
    Love it - only fault (which is prob with most auto) is under load it can be a bit tight/sticky on shifting out of Rev into Low or visa versa
    Tipping tray is great (had 3 of them now but 1st Ute)
    Don't have to tie things on as its a bin and noting falls out
    Front carrier I would like a bit bigger but great storage under it
    Thirsty bitch - but never used full tit yet heaps of grunt and Power Steering - well I will never be able to go back to one without

PS
    Oh - yea and at 9k-ish compared to 13k+ for others
    Cost me less than 5K to trade into a New Quad would have cost me at least 10K on Honda etc

suzuki 500 with power steer great bike. nice to ride and even with a big load, front diff lock, hi and lo.I used one at work on hill country for a few years before going to a sxs and never had any issues with them. Still have 3 off them at work.If i had to go back on a bike it would be a suzuki. Good luck with any polaris, The money you save buying one you will need to keep it going (warranty doesn't cover ever thing)and then if you go to trade it in the future no body wants to trade them
    Last edited by bigbear; 03-06-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    suzuki 500 with power steer great bike. nice to ride and even with a big load, front diff lock, hi and lo.I used one at work on hill country for a few years before going to a sxs and never had any issues with them. Still have 3 off them at work.If i had to go back on a bike it would be a suzuki. Good luck with any polaris, The money you save buying one you will need to keep it going (warranty doesn't cover ever thing)and then if you go to trade it in the future no body wants to trade them
    To be honest I have never had trouble selling my Polaris's
    I will trade this Ute in next May (be 2 years old)
    If it cost me another 5k to get into a new one - I be more than happy
    I have had Honda - with bad issues too
    Suzuki - yes had great runs out of the early 4WD 300's (mid-late 80's)

I remember our local Garage in Waimiha become the agent for Polaris
    Poor bugger almost gotten driven out of town
    The Polaris had literally zero engine braking on downhill

Now - they literally stand on their nose when trottle off on real steep decline - amazing and apparently the best of all at downhill braking - dont need to touch any brake peddles
    I do not think I have ever touched the foot brake - hand lever brake has to be used to start it otherwise it wouldn't get touched either

I've got a Suzuki 500 auto with power steer. Great bike, had some bad experiences with Honda's
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    To be honest I have never had trouble selling my Polaris's
    I will trade this Ute in next May (be 2 years old)
    If it cost me another 5k to get into a new one - I be more than happy
    I have had Honda - with bad issues too
    Suzuki - yes had great runs out of the early 4WD 300's (mid-late 80's)

I remember our local Garage in Waimiha become the agent for Polaris
    Poor bugger almost gotten driven out of town
    The Polaris had literally zero engine braking on downhill

Now - they literally stand on their nose when trottle off on real steep decline - amazing and apparently the best of all at downhill braking - dont need to touch any brake peddles
    I do not think I have ever touched the foot brake - hand lever brake has to be used to start it otherwise it wouldn't get touched either
    So how does the decent control work? Do you have to engage it before you go down a hill or is it always there?
    What sort of maintenance issues and costs have you had with the Polaris?
    The Polaris seems to make sense on paper, and to be honest, at the price for a new one, it makes buying a second hand one that has already had the best of its life consumed, a bit of a silly choice.

The engine braking is std on the modern ones. In low ratio 4WD, you can take your hands off the bars on my CanAm 650 going down a pretty steep slope and it just holds speed. It took a bit of getting used to the throttle during normal riding as anything less than a trailing throttle will produce braking. Second nature now and you barely use the brakes most of the time on the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    So how does the decent control work? Do you have to engage it before you go down a hill or is it always there?
    What sort of maintenance issues and costs have you had with the Polaris?
    The Polaris seems to make sense on paper, and to be honest, at the price for a new one, it makes buying a second hand one that has already had the best of its life consumed, a bit of a silly choice.
    horses for courses
    This is why I went Polaris - price and could get back into a new one
    Got sick of buying flogged cocky hand downs

The downhill braking is amazing yes - you have a switch on right side above throttle, if you forget to flick it on and start getting away down a steep part and then engage it - dog usually flies past you
    Its so severe and effective
    I run in High near always and the down hill is good even on real step in High - you can literally take hands of steering and roll a smoke etc
    As said above the other biggy for me is the rear carrier
    We use it for all our stores from town up to batch/home (gas bottle.fuel/groceries etc etc
    Just stick it in and drive up
    Plus I am continually getting metal onto our bush zig zag track up from Wharf so the tipper is great
    Going up with whatever weight you like it is safe as - they (not so sure about this UTE) will roll over though as i did twice with previos "2 up" Polaris
    I think the Ute maybe better on sidling than earlier models

Service - yea well thats a problem for me as it need Barging out and back etc
    I do my own oil changes and grease etc and wash it down regular
    I do not do many miles as track up to home is only 170m 1 way :-)
    I do 3-5 ks every time around on my Hunting blocks - so 1000K per year is max for me
    In fact I think I have only done 650ks (could be miles) in its 1st year

So another reason I will trade in next May - it will still be like new and I should not run into service issues living out in the whop whops

I paid only $8200 New for this one - got a good deal from a Masterton crowd who were going out of them, cost another 550 to get it to Marlborough but
    Polaris are meant to be real Pricks to deal with for those who franchise/sell them
    Markup is pathetic on New machines apparently
    Local Marlborough guy ditched them 5 years ago - although another outfit has taken it on but they are from Ashburton and Nelson also so have the size a a vast area (Drummond & someone)

Go on the Yankee Forums
    They love them over there and ride the crap out of them

BUT - if I was a cocky again and had 1000 acres or 500+ cows - I be buying the top Suzuki or Honda with all the whistles and bells
    Some farmers are doing in one week what I will do in 1 year
    I just can't warrant a Honda/Suzuki at 15K
    Second hand Honda with 5-6Ks of hard work was same price as the Ute New

How step can the Polaris climb and is it likely to flip over backwards with a big red deer tied on the back of it?
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    How step can the Polaris climb and is it likely to flip over backwards with a big red deer tied on the back of it?
    As said above
    Tray full of metal - so upwards of 200kg and my track up to house has two very steap parts - no sign of lifting
    I imagine all the Quads today are like that
    I rememebr my 1st Quad a LT230 Suzuki in 1986 - still got the scare under the chin
    Bitch of a thing for rear over backwards

I was one of 1st to use Quads in bush - a few 3 wheeler were being used, I then went to the 4WD LT300 (blue seat) 1987
    All the Cockies were watching for a couple of years before the dipped their toe in the Quad water - strange ah

Some random thoughts on the subject:

I had a Honda TRX500 FE for a few years and found it outstanding for most country I hunt. The advantages were obvious... light, agile and easy to operate but could handle a good load. Unfortunately the disadvantages soon became evident and they were somewhat unexpected. First, the parts were quite expensive. Unnecessarily so for what they are. Secondly, because I had transport that could go places I always seemed to have others who wanted to join me. Going places with two people plus gear suddenly became a pain in the ass. Third, I came across a reluctance by landowners to let me take the quad onto their land due to the high level of publicity directed towards them in recent years.

Eventually it all got too much so I sold the quad in favour for a Pioneer 700-2P. This has been entertaining too. Now, instead of another person wanting to join me I typically find three-up to be normal. Three people is a piece of cake. Spotlighting off the back is great and a crew of three works really well but you can do four-up if required. The Pioneer is not so agile as a quad but still gets you places a ute won't. I thought the quad was thirsty but the Pioneer sure sucks the gas by comparison. And if you think quad parts are expensive.... HA!

On the whole I have to say I'm really happy with the SxS vs. a Quad. Missions where you're on your own are far better on a quad but in all the time I owned a quad I only ever did a few solo trips. Probably the biggest downside for the SxS is that everybody else wants to drive it and I hardly get a look-in myself. My daughter (13) is the worst offender. Good driver training for when she's old enough to get into a car though.

I'm still learning with the Pioneer as I've only owned it for 18 months but there is one location I go regularly where the climb-out is really steep and I can tell you it definitely gets light on the front feet when you have a heavy load in the back but what would take two trips on the quad can be done in one trip with the SxS. The quad would struggle too but having the ability to put the load up front meant it didn't get too light. I would still prefer to be in the SxS though.

The independant rear suspension on the Pioneer is better than the single rear axle versions of quad and in that regard I think the Can Am quads and some of the bigger Honda's would probably be a better ride. The higher capacity of the regulator makes the SxS better for spotlighting as it can handle the load of a handheld as well as Light Bars.

In summary I would say that if you hunt alone then the quad is great, but if like me you have a family who enjoy hunting and a bunch of friends with whom you regularly enjoy adventures then the SxS is a better option. Whether I'm driving the team around chasing down rabbits or whether I'm shooting and somebody else is driving is irrelevant to me - I'm out there doing it and having a blast. Teamwork and SxS's go hand in hand.
    bigbear and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Great discussion, hey @planenutz - how much water can a Pioneer (or other sxs) go through compared with a 4x4, would you take one through the big Canterbury rivers up to your waist for instance ??

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Great discussion, hey @planenutz - how much water can a Pioneer (or other sxs) go through compared with a 4x4, would you take one through the big Canterbury rivers up to your waist for instance ??
    A 700kg side buy side floats away in water just over Knee deep mate, a quad roughly the same but it's current dependent
    So while waist deep is easy doable over short distances I wouldn't reccomend it for the inexperienced.
    In this pic from this morning the side buy side was just starting to float but mainly from the current rather than depth.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    von tempsky fan and bigbear like this.

If the water is up to the seat even in still water you are in the shit as the air intakes are about the same height