Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Quad bikes

Quad bikes

Lads,
    I知 going to get a new quad in the near future. It値l be used as a meat hauler, I will work it hard. I知 hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can point me in the direction of what the best one for my needs will be. More to the point what to avoid. I知 aiming to spend under 10 grand. All thoughts, feedback or tips welcome.

Avoid the 2016-18 Yamaha Kodiak 700's with the Subaru made 708cc motor. While more fuel efficient than the 686cc motor it has a known issue of burning oil and a lot were rebuilt under warrenty. Mine was and it still burnt oil, it soon got traded for a new 2019 Kodiak 700 with the updated 686cc motor.
    Survy and Fat ninja like this.

A winch would be bloody handy, I’ve got a Ute will probably get a tandem to tow it

honda 500 or suzuki 500 i would never buy a polaris or canam
    Fat ninja likes this.

fuck polaris rip of parts go well but you pay and no after market parts go honda or yamaha if not to steep 400 /450 ok the 500 and up are wider and longer so can be hard to trailer or put on ute . A $200 winch 4000 lb will take the stress away if loading on a ute tray as no punching out the back window >my wife has a 400 auto , hrdro based . and great but only for the boss as staff fuck them with the elect 4/2wd and electric gear overide shift . enough said could go on for hours .
    Fat ninja likes this.

I bought a brand new Polaris 570 UTE and couldn't be happier. Longer and wider than standard quad which improves stability and hill climb, power steering, winch, bull bars, bear claw tyres came standard, very good hill decent control, independent suspension, and higher payload capacity in rear tray (180kg) - $12k incl gst. I have build a frame for the back that will hold two fish bins and has a bench seat for two extra riders, one each side of the driver. Have driven some steep country with two riders and three boned out deer on board without issue. Have towed a trailer out with three gutted deer and I have to say that putting all the heavy weight in the trailer makes things feel safer.
    Bike fits on a single axle 1200x2400 Kea trailer and I tow it from Auckland to Napier without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Honda. Bigger than 400cc. Manual.
    What he said. Mine has been abused for 10 years and just keeps going. Mines a 420 and semi auto. Despite me saying that, I would recommend people STAY AWAY from them. 420 is really a bit too small, esp if hills are involved. The semi auto is nice and lazy, but is just another thing to go wrong. Most newer auto quads have decent engine braking. Something that earlier ones lacked and were positively scary to ride in steep country. Polaris and Cannam have deserved reputations for insane spare parts pricing, and in the long term are not as reliable as the AG variety of quads.

For whatever reason Honda bounce between solid rear axle and independent back ends from year to year. Independent is far nicer on the body to ride, but can't handle heavier loads and hauling a trailer as well as the sold back end.

SxS versions are even more expensive. a mate has a fleet, and says they work out at $72/hr to fuel and maintain (by the dealer). Enclosed cab SxS are very noisy to ride in.

Steer clear of ex dairy farm quads. Sloppy cow poo is murder on chassis, swing arms and brake calipers etc etc. Not many get washed off even weekly. And they crank out kms a travelling salesman would be proud of.
    Moa Hunter and Fat ninja like this.

If you need a winch, you need an anchor cos everywhere you need a winch the 4wd boys have already ripped out, cut down and generally destroyed every sapling within reach of the meagre winch rope you have on board.
    rugerman, outlander and Fat ninja like this.

I've used most of them.They all have their own issues,personally think Honda have the least.If your going to carry a lot of wieght anything with independent suspension is prone to get bellied as the suspension saggs under load.My pick is the Honda 500,manual box(the autos are shit).straight rear axle.Been using them on the farm for years with very few problems. Even brought one for my personal use.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Fat ninja like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Honda TRX500 manual, do everything you need & reliable as. I tow it in on a single axle trailer and sometimes load that trailer up and tow it further with the 500, bloody tractor of a bike.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Fat ninja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    depends on terrain and load . a couple thousand more and you could get a s x s polaris new . if you can find one a older 600cc plus manual yamaha. if only you and a deer and steep terrain a 300 suzi with low low and full difflock . rode a mates kwaka 300 and it seemed to be better than his 350 honda at creek crossings as it didnt float as much or get stuck in a swampy bit when the honda did. have a 500 can am that can haul a load and certainly way faster than the honda but its taller and wider than most bikes this cc . do you need a winch or are you happy to use a hand winch if stuck. also available trailer size or vehicle to cart bike to hunting area may have a bearing on size of bike.
    My old 300 Suzuki, I consider it to be like a 1960's Land Rover. Rough tough and gets you stuck, just to show who's boss. Great old things.
    berg243, Fat ninja and Trissaayne like this.

First small 4WD I had was the Suzuki Jimney with the 2 stroke 530cc 'sewing machine' motor in it. Being hard up I used a Hayes fence strainer as my winch. Purchased a longer piece of the same high tensile chain it used. Very effective. And a WHOLE lot easier than using a hand winch on my old Unimog. Gave that up as a bad joke after getting the Mog 5 metres in 20 minutes

With quads it pays to figure out exactly what you want to do with it for 75% of the time. Smaller older quads can be far easier to get in and out of gnarly areas if push comes to shove. The bigger newer more powerful quads are pretty impressive performers, but get them stuck and they are up to 150 kgs heavier than the 1990/s early 2000's quads. And you will feel each of those kilograms if you are stuck there out on your own with no winch.

Almost forgot. Make sure you have a spade or some such digging device with you. Even one of those folding spades. And a folding hand saw. Saw and spade and small hand winch and the world's your oyster
    Brian, berg243, outlander and 1 others like this.

Cheers for all the input. I will have a spade, winch and silky saw with me when out on the bike

I used to have a 2007 Honda 420 4x4. Was the last one they made before they came with powersteering, which in my view was a good thing. It was also fuel injected which got rid of some of the troubles my mates used to have.

Try and get one thats not full time 4x4, means when your not in the rough its easier to steer, also less wear on the drivetrain.

These older models are around 4-5 grand and last ages, mine got serviced every year and only ever really needed oils and brakes adjusted, nothing major

Mines the one on the right, the Suzuki infront was also a reliable work horse, similar era and auto
    Name:  IMG_20160525_172705.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  99.2 KB
    outlander and Fat ninja like this.

Name:  ATV's in snow.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  2.80 MB

Something different - a 2015 Polaris Ace - single seater with custom Rhino rack and a Honda last winter in the High Country. Agree Polaris parts expensive, but happy with my one. Better used as a recreation ATV than commercial use on farms -need cleaning after each use to keep the mud building up inside the body work. Have owned since new, good for river deep river crossings, air intake up high. Nice to have a steering wheel after many years of using the thumb throttle on my old Suzuki Kingquad.