Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Quad winch.....thoughts/comments

Quad winch.....thoughts/comments

Hey all, thinking of a winch for my quad. Any thoughts or comments on different makes.
    Wire cable or synthetic rope stuff?
    Also anyone using a hand winch like a boat winch type?
    Cheers.

Have a play with a couple of pulleys, pussic loops, carabiners and some good dynemma rope. 5:1 with a good long length of job will see you put of a lot of places.

Big bonus is light weight and can get you put backwards
    40mm and uk_exile like this.

the only issue with boat type winch,is the small distance you can pull unless have a large drum..... but quads.....you shouldnt need to move far to get unstuck...if you carry another rope you can tie off to hold and then redo the winchrope...over and again till out...if you not in a hurry anything is possible....
    many vechiles have been unstuck with wire strainers 1 yard at a time.
    planenutz and Padox like this.

Hayes type wire strainer and coil of high tensile wire...and an anchor/spade
    Micky Duck and planenutz like this.

#8 all the way.....
    mimms2 likes this.

check out toolwarehouse on turdme calls himself tigertools in profile 200 approx for 4000lb units and 40 for radio remotes 14m cable and even better if you get cheap dyneema from china I run them on quad and about to use on tractor for boat .

sneakywaza I got
    Ground anchor and a flat tow strap, you are driving/riding around on your powered winch already.
    outlander and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Given that fucked HT wire at high speed is a hazard to everything soft (eyes, arteries, tyres, sumps) I would advise against.

Dyneema (avail locally through bridon cookes without the brand name, for cheaper) wins out by almost every metric over wire rope.

If you were going to go handraulic, I'd rather pack a tirfor, than a drum type.

If you go electric you're going to want a proper battery, not the pisass little ones that are stock, and to ensure your regulator-rectifier is up to providing proper current.
    Also if you suss a mounting system and jumperleads, then you can winch off the front or back.

If you buy cheap shit, expect cheap shit. It will be heavy, poorly made, loud, require more force than necessary, and probably be a pain in the ass. Depends how much your time is worth, I'd rather not fuck around with that kind of crap.
    Yeah mate I hear ya....I don't do cheap shit either

MY old man has one that runs of 12vt battery via a couple of alligator clips....got hook on main body and run rope out...rated to about 2000kgs from memory and cost bugger all.....great for tweaking up firewood logs or pulling bike out of pooh...with ADVANTAGE you can hook it to a tree and pull out ute,using bike for power only....
    THINK it was supercheap type buy....there are lots out there that will do the job well.

northdude
    a bit slow and awkward until you get the knack of it but i just use a chain block

If you do want a small electric. Phil at Force4 in Silverdale has Novawins which are fantastic value and his after sales support is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    get one of those hand winches that uses a length of rope and has no drum the rope just falls at your feet when winching.have a winch on the can am that just had new synthetic rope put on to replace the steel wire , much nicer on the hands.
    Any idea on where from or name of winch @berg243

ishoot10s, berg243 and mimms2 like this.

Wire strainer but take the wire grabs of both the handle end and the chain, replace with a shackle and splice an eye in the end of some dyneema to go through the shackles? Be careful though as if your hands are wet/muddy which they likely are if you're stuck, will slip off the handle fairly easily and you will know all about it in a very short amount of time haha

I put one of these on mine, comes with all the bits etc, never had to worry about getting stuck. Has no problem winching my quad and the boys quad hanging off a tow rope behind mine up the devils staircase in the mungatuks. Good investment if your out on your own in the Bush. https://www.winch.co.nz/categories/r...20Winches&gp=3
    mimms2 likes this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.