Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Replacement for 2007 outback???

Ok folks time for another thread on what to buy....

Currently got a 2007 outback with the 3.0 boxer engine, above wagon and nothing wrong with it but starting to get up to 300km and thinking of replacing.

New one will need to fit 3 dogs in the boot, gear on the backseat and 2 people up front for travelling the country. Also require towbar (could get fitted later) with enough grunt to tow a single axle with up to a tonne of at times. Big consideration is fuel economy (anything is going to be better.... $35 for a 2hr drive going like a nanna 8km/l )

Not looking like a ugly duck would be nice as well. Prefer petrol over diesel as not doing many kms. 4wd would be nice but not necessary as long as I can get chains in he wheel arches.

Budget revolves around age and kms on it. Could go new but prefer a couple of years old.

Thought of a 2wd double cab ute but once you get a canopy a station wagon seems to be cheaper and more fuel efficient.

Ideas folks???

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Ok folks time for another thread on what to buy....

Currently got a 2007 outback with the 3.0 boxer engine, above wagon and nothing wrong with it but starting to get up to 300km and thinking of replacing.

New one will need to fit 3 dogs in the boot, gear on the backseat and 2 people up front for travelling the country. Also require towbar (could get fitted later) with enough grunt to tow a single axle with up to a tonne of at times. Big consideration is fuel economy (anything is going to be better.... $35 for a 2hr drive going like a nanna 8km/l )

Not looking like a ugly duck would be nice as well. Prefer petrol over diesel as not doing many kms. 4wd would be nice but not necessary as long as I can get chains in he wheel arches.

Budget revolves around age and kms on it. Could go new but prefer a couple of years old.

Thought of a 2wd double cab ute but once you get a canopy a station wagon seems to be cheaper and more fuel efficient.

Ideas folks???
    Depends a bit on the size of the dogs.

Most of the station wagons have more leg room in the back seats.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Depends a bit on the size of the dogs.

Most of the station wagons have more leg room in the back seats.
    Valid point, border collies so not huge but in there for full day driving at times so need a bit of room to breathe.

Back seats folding flat would be handy for a overnight trip if needed (outback has this)

I'm in a similar situation with replacing my '05 3L Legacy. Current front runners are the Highlander or Prado depending on how much pocket money swmbo will let me spend. Granted neither of those options will be great on gas but should do better than 8km/L
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

how the hell are you getting 8km/l out of that car? i get 11/12

could just buy another imported one?

MSL
    8km/L equals 12.5L/100km

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    I'm in a similar situation with replacing my '05 3L Legacy. Current front runners are the Highlander or Prado depending on how much pocket money swmbo will let me spend. Granted neither of those options will be great on gas but should do better than 8km/L
    Like the look of the highlander, but as you alluded to they sure aren't cheap.... Replacing it with the same would be nice except for the newer models gearbox issues that have come up here before.

Getting a nz new one of the same age with less kms could be a bit tricky

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    8km/L equals 12.5L/100km
    Yep this.... Have had it at 12km/l doing 70 on he open road and thats the best its even been. Can sometimes get 10km/l if I try really hard bt usually sits down around 8-9

keep your subaru and overhaul when needed. you dont want one of the new ones with the evil CVT

to clarify, im getting 11 to 12 kilometers per litre on the open road, doing 100.

i'm running a 3.0 H6 and average 8l/100k . changed air intake system and "chipped it" runs like a cut cat. next mission is to remove cat converters etc

My 05 legacy with 3.0 H6 gets about 9.5km/L around town and 11-12km/L on open road. Drops to about 7km/L when towing my 5.8m boat.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i'm running a 3.0 H6 and average 8l/100k . changed air intake system and "chipped it" runs like a cut cat. next mission is to remove cat converters etc
    8 l/100k average sounds very good. Best I've had from my 2.0TT Legacy GTB is 8.5 on the open road, think my mixed use average is around 9.5-10. Been thinking about updating it to a 3.0R manual Legacy, pity they never made a 3.0 manual Outback as far as I know.

Comparing petrol vs diesel+RUC my GTB and 3.2td Terrano cost about the same $ per km.