Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Roll up inflatables

Squirreling away funds toward a packable inflatable around 3M priced up to an absolute max of $1500, I know there are some top of the range NZ-made ones like southern pacific, but a bit out of my price range. I have read that most dinghies in my range, especially the sub 1k ones are chinese and of glued PVC construction with untreated plastic coated ply transoms. Supposedly they begin falling apart when the glue starts failing about 5 years post-purchase, if the transom doesn't turn to weetbix first.

There are a few that look like a step up, still PVC but welded construction, at least on the tubes and fibreglass, alloy or marine ply transoms. Has anyone had any experience of these dinghies or know of others I should consider?

Three of interest are:

SA Series - Inflatable Boats Direct NZ available with alloy transom for extra $100

https://happykiwishop.co.nz/the-bd300/

I think it has an f-glass transom, unsure if it is welded or glued?

and this one

https://rockboatmarine.co.nz/collect...31610472726666

supposedly marine ply transom hmmm....

Probably all made in china

Dinghy would not be used for serious offshore work it would be for putting about occasional whitebaiting/estuary fishing and giving some teen family members a bit of boating independence using a 6hp 4stroke aux that otherwise gets virtually no use
    Post Reply Post Reply

I have always favoured hypalon inflatables, but they are more expensive. Arancia (surf life saving) about $14k so too $$$ for average guy. Achilles, Avon, Piper are three reputable brands. If going pvc, I’d opt for German material as it appears to be more robust.