Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 2 Post By Kiwi Sapper
  • 1 Post By Delphus
  • 1 Post By DavidGunn
  • 2 Post By SiB
  • 1 Post By kukuwai

Thread: RUC for wrecked vehicle

RUC for wrecked vehicle

Bit of a random one. My truck recently died, and I have parted out all the good bits and sold the body to a wreckers. I need to de-register the plates and hand them back in only issue is the truck was a few thousand km out. I think I am supposed to get them up to date before I hand the plates back in. I guess my question is what is the point? They are off the truck, which will soon be dismantled for parts. There will be no way to check up that the ruc was up to date right? Just trying to save myself a few hundred if I don’t need to pay.

Appreciate your thoughts on the subject

" it was all on the farm"
    40mm likes this.

[QUOTE=CamFlatt;................... only issue is the truck was a few thousand km out.............Appreciate your thoughts on the subject[/QUOTE]

Depends what you mean when you refer to the "only issue." I suspect that you want to hand in the plates and get a refund for the unused vehicle registration, which is fair.
    If so, then if the odometer is reading more kms / mls than the the amount of road user charges you have purchased, then if expecting to be reimbursed for the unused registration period, what reason have you for not paying the Road User charges for the distance traveled?

Don't seem fair to me.
    Cyclops and Delphus like this.

I wrecked a hilux after hitting a pony, I was able to cash in unused RUC with a pic of the dash showing how many Ks' it had done.

The only way they'd know any ks is from the last WoF check. The K's automatically get logged then. If they're out they automatically send a ruc bill to you. If the k's are lower, you don't get a bill.
    If youre worried about the rucs difference, just give them the K's that the ruc's were up to.
    Last vehicle I took off the road full time they didn't ask for the k's off it, or even the plates.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Depends what you mean when you refer to the "only issue." I suspect that you want to hand in the plates and get a refund for the unused vehicle registration, which is fair.
    If so, then if the odometer is reading more kms / mls than the the amount of road user charges you have purchased, then if expecting to be reimbursed for the unused registration period, what reason have you for not paying the Road User charges for the distance traveled?

Don't seem fair to me.
    Yep fair call. If I have to pay the ruc then I have to pay. It was due a wof and would have gotten it up to date for thatI suppose. I hadn’t even considered getting registration back, I would be happy to just pay the dereg fee and move on. I’m about $3k out of pocket, and just trying to recoup as much as possible to go towards my next vehicle. Funny enough my wife doesn’t want a deer in the back of her Suzuki swift.
    I suppose then I will need a photo of the current odo reading when I hand it back in.
    Cyclops likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CamFlatt View Post
    Yep fair call. If I have to pay the ruc then I have to pay. It was due a wof and would have gotten it up to date for thatI suppose. I hadn’t even considered getting registration back, I would be happy to just pay the dereg fee and move on. I’m about $3k out of pocket, and just trying to recoup as much as possible to go towards my next vehicle. Funny enough my wife doesn’t want a deer in the back of her Suzuki swift.
    I suppose then I will need a photo of the current odo reading when I hand it back in.
    I would be attacking the odo with a screwdriver to delete a lot of mileage before taking any photos...but then I am dishonest at heart especially when it comes to RUC's
    Moa Hunter likes this.

SiB
    I’ve just dereg two farm vehicles. I simply declared the ks on the clock on the form as requested

I handed in the plates and all the labels and that was it.

In the case of the diesel vehicle I’d just purchased 10k of RUCs and the system will apparently automatically refund us.

If you’ve got RUCs owing, my personal advice is pay up. The last thing you need is any questions over the veracity of your end ks. I appreciate you’re wanting to save $ - but ask yourself what is the worst that could happen? IMHO the risks and consequences out-weigh any perceived benefits from not paying what the system will show as due.
    Kiwi Sapper and Micky Duck like this.

I believe the fine is double how many km the odometer is out by compared to the ruc. I don't know how they would be able to tell what the current reading is if they don't visit the wreckers, and you don't have to declare how many km are on the clock. I realised mine was out the day I took it for a wof. I bought km on the day but after it was logged so they sent me a bill. I said I had already paid for the km but apparently once the bill is issued you have to pay it so I ended up paying twice for the 1 lot of kms. I buy the ruc before a wof now, but if I forget next time I will just wait for the bill and then pay once. If the fuckers would just include it in the price of diesel and then allow farmers etc... to claim it back, it would make life so much easier. Or have coloured diesel like they do in some countries.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I would be attacking the odo with a screwdriver to delete a lot of mileage before taking any photos...but then I am dishonest at heart especially when it comes to RUC's
    Note to self...'don't buy a vehicle off DavidGunn'

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Cyclops likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Note to self...'don't buy a vehicle off DavidGunn'

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Get real...I know of two people who make a living or boost their earnings from fitting switches to avoid RUC's...I recall a thread on this forum about how to rort the system

if it was legal at the last warrant, that's all they can go off.
    They have no other means of recording it. @rugerman i'm not sure how you got that. Same thing happened to me. I had to pay the arrears first before i paid to get in front but i wasn't fined.
    i was even told at
    Still had to pay the back amount so it cost me more. Not sympathetic on the phone. All i got was at least you are in the black now sir.
    Telling them it stuffed up my budget didn't matter.
    burgling pack of numpties.
    Bit like when Peters sided with the Nats 20 years ago.
    Backdated all RUC's to be dearer even if you had paid a bunch in advance. He obviously didnt root himself as that was the only way i was going to do that!
    Honesty system so absolutely just stupid