Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Runva winches

Runva winches

Has anyone got one? Long-term reports? Looking at the 11XP.

Ejected
    I've had a couple mates run them and with quite a lot of use out lasted the warn winches they replaced.
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.

I ve had a couple. First one got a bit noisy but sold the vehicle and had no complaint.
    Second I stripped before fitting. Added grease to a few spots that had none. Just me being pedantic but also wanted to see how it worked
    It spent a bit of time under water and never failed had it from 2012 to just last weekend actually. Pulled a few trees and other bits.
    No problems at all
    MCC NZ Agents ? They sell bulk winch bars also. Good to deal with. Only complaint has been the paint on their bars is not long lasting
    two or three years and they rust or fade out. Typical Northern Hemisphere paint sent down under
    Nibblet likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Sounds like ok feedback so far, anyone else?

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Sounds like ok feedback so far, anyone else?
    Have you done a search back on the topic Gimp? I recall a previous thread about them and something about not sealed correctly and lack of grease, of which has been mentioned.

I've had a few, most recent one was their high speed comp winch at 9500lb. It was missing seals from factory which led to the motor rusting out. They reconditioned it at their cost, it lasted two more months. Moral? check it out completely when you get one, disassemble it and check all seals are in there. Gearbox lubricant can be lacking too, Add a decent dollop of Moreys and it seems to be sweet.
    From the 4wd groups I associate with, most reports are good with the odd horror storey, but again the horror would have been found earlier if they had stripped the winch and given it a once over when purchased.
    I am currently running a novawin unit, a bit pricier but still cheaper than Warn, Superwinch, Ramsey etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    I am currently running a novawin unit, a bit pricier but still cheaper than Warn, Superwinch, Ramsey etc.
    Is it working though...

So what other brands are recommended in a winch? I've used Warn, Iron Man & Superwinch in Oz and found them all to eventually get full of rust/dust when doing a lot of water crossings and fail/need a cleanup internally. Not intending to use it intensively - be ideal if it was never used at all (except to test occasionally)

How about a tirfor winch? A little bit more effort, but way cheaper if you don't think you will use it much. I've had mine nearly 20 years and it is still in fantastic condition ( but I haven't used it much in last 10 years)
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    How about a tirfor winch? A little bit more effort, but way cheaper if you don't think you will use it much. I've had mine nearly 20 years and it is still in fantastic condition ( but I haven't used it much in last 10 years)
    Plus you can throw it in your mates 4wd for that day trip, and much easier to swap over when you trade up to the next ute

Why don't you get a multi mount base that fits into a standard removable tow bar mount.
    I have a 9000 lb Warne thats been on my last 3 Hilux's and is 25 years old.
    Carry it in the truck only when Im away in the mountains.
    Fits the front or rear tow bar receiver.
    Have a heavy wiring loom that that has electric forklift connectors at both ends and a master switch under the bonnet thats also been on the last three trucks. Just change it over when I get a new truck.
    That way its never been under water.
    Can be fitted front or back only when needed.
    Can also be used on any other vehicle as I have an additional set of fly leeds that can be carried.

Main thing is you don't loose money leaving it in a vehicle every time you upgrade and as I said its never been under water.
    Easy to make a mount up or have a handy mate with a welder make one.
    Great way to use cheaper winch and not have the same issues with rust etc.

This image is not my one but very similar.
    Name:  multimount1.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  155.0 KB

As a note also.
    Modern 4x4s need a heavy earth lead to the winch from the battery as the earth to chassis is very light now and you can not pull enough current through them.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and 308 like this.

MSL
    Kingone

@gimp mate have a good read of this, I'm pretty sure it's the article that I think might be a good read, some of the brands may be a little dated or not available in NZ but...... the point of the article is something really important, the warranty and how they are voided! Not all great winches have great after sales support and Given our NZ terrain is and the crossing of rivers it's a factor well worth considering.

Winch Warranty's who to support and when to walk, WARN,Smittybilt,Runva,Ironman,Tmax etc | 4x4Earth

I think that there may be links to how to better seal or waterproofing plus even breather tubes??? I'm not going to tell you the brand a mate of mine uses and the absolute stunning work it's done, it was a lot cheaper but with a little after purchase care and waterproofing it's been a beast!! But you'll all take the piss!!!

Plus you sold that shotgun yet??
    Last edited by Tertle; 25-08-2017 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Dick moment....forgot to add link!!

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Why don't you get a multi mount base that fits into a standard removable tow bar mount.
    I have a 9000 lb Warne thats been on my last 3 Hilux's and is 25 years old.
    Carry it in the truck only when Im away in the mountains.
    Fits the front or rear tow bar receiver.
    Have a heavy wiring loom that that has electric forklift connectors at both ends and a master switch under the bonnet thats also been on the last three trucks. Just change it over when I get a new truck.
    That way its never been under water.
    Can be fitted front or back only when needed.
    Can also be used on any other vehicle as I have an additional set of fly leeds that can be carried.

Main thing is you don't loose money leaving it in a vehicle every time you upgrade and as I said its never been under water.
    Easy to make a mount up or have a handy mate with a welder make one.
    Great way to use cheaper winch and not have the same issues with rust etc.

This image is not my one but very similar.
    Attachment 74312

As a note also.
    Modern 4x4s need a heavy earth lead to the winch from the battery as the earth to chassis is very light now and you can not pull enough current through them.
    There are so many things I like about this set up and is the way I've thought about doing it in the past. A number of the people I've seen winch themselves out was because they got hung up, ... on the winch sticking out the front (and stuck on the towbar at the back stopping traction). So many set ups bugger up your approach angle. Particularly the factory mechanical winches on the likes of the old cruisers and safaris.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Iv had a runva 11xp on my truck for the last 3 years. Never had an issue with it and it's had a fair amount of use. I only went with a runva because I got an awesome deal on it when I purchased a bullbar, but I'd happily buy another if I was in the market for one
    Bumshot likes this.