Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Series 80 LandCruiser power

SiB

Series 80 LandCruiser power

Got a ‘96 VX cruiser with a 4.2 turbo diesel. 300k on clock (I’ve done the last 250k)

On the flat I’m fine, but as soon as we hit the hills or attempt an over taking manoeuvre, there’s just no power. It’ll kick down in gear but goes no faster....

A mechanic friend has suggested it’s my diesel pump, and to have this worked on is $2.5k for the outwork plus the remove/re-install labour

Anybody been through similar?

Any advice?

Not the turbo.... My old girl is a slug on the hills always has been but it's the result of no turbo, bosses goes like a cut ca in comparison having been opened up, new exhaust... Etc
    WallyR likes this.

I know on the older patrols there was a gause filter that could fill with junk on the inlet side of the pump which would give a similar result as what your are experiencing.
    Any boost leaks?

Some of them did have a fault with the injection pump but that usually resulted in stuck on side of road damage.
    First up put a boost guage on it....no boost no power then look from there. Could be a stuck waste gate or blown diaphame in the boost compensator or a boost leak between the two or a sevearly blocked fuel filter.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    xtightg likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

3in exhaust, 18psi and a tuned injection pump should liven it up abit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

SiB
    Thanks guys. Will make notes of above and convey to my mechanic

I've got a BJ73 that I had the fuel pump rebuilt and bill came to $3400 in the end. I think it may have been on the more expensive end of it though, they had to replace the body of the pump as well so it's pretty much a new pump. Looked at as it was lacking power, ended up trying to adjust the fuel screw as I thought it had come loose. Adjusting the screw didn't do much and not long after that the revs started hanging and took it in and got the pump done, injectors were buggered too.
    Every day is leg day.

All good advice but always start at the cheapest and easiest first. Don't forget the air element as I've seen them in trucks look good but suck them selves flat and restrict air under load to give the same problem yours had. Even saw one that had a new turbo, inter cooler cleaned, new turbo pipes with no luck. turned out to be just a new air element needed! Which leads me back to what I said at the beginning. Cheapest first , air, fuel, boost, hoses, pump timing etc before pumps, turbos and the other expensive stuff. Even a motor running to cold from a dodgy thermostat will lose power more than people realise
    veitnamcam, kokako and Cyclops like this.

SiB
    Thanks guys. Will def check out all options there

@ SiB I have had one that also lacked power on hills etc didn’t put up any lights or use more gas. Garage couldn’t find any problems but wasn’t till I looked around and found the intake pipe had worked lose under load but at idle was fine but under boost would blow air out.

Had something very similar on my Nissan. Remedy was just a new Fuel filter.

SiB
    I’m going to check it over myself this weekend

exhaust gas reticulation valve, same symptoms as we had on our mitsi triton. i found the best stuff to use is a bottle of "royal egr cleaner". it took 2 bottles to clean the sludge out.
    then i fitted a wee electronic device to keep the valve turned off permanently