Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Snow chains

Snow chains

Got a question for you knowledgeable folks..... Should chains go on the front or back of a 4wd

I've been putting mine on the front so I still have steering, if the back slides out its usually my fault for passing the right foot down to hard. got spares for the back if I really need them. Have been seeing lots of people with them on the back, sure it makes sense if it's rear wheel drive only. Talked with someone about it an they reckoned their user manual told them to put them on the back.

I always do the front too, seemed more logical. As you said the front is steering and on the front they brack up the ground for the back tyres

Depends on driving wheels I suppose. I've always put them on the front, as when I'm driving in those conditions I'm in 4wd and the front pulls and you have steering like you say.

But I recently found out with the wider tyres I've put on my Landcruiser I cant fit my icebreaker chains on the front any more - not enough clearance between upper control arm and inner tyre - so I had to put them on the back. I have a full set and up until my recent finding, run them in tough conditions on the Landcruiser - normally towing trailers around steep country , amazing where you can go.
    puku and Feral like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Yep front for steering

Front to steer and brake(over if really needed).

You can have all the traction in the world on the back, but if you cannot point it in the right direction, no point.
    puku likes this.

SiB
    Front. But carry some heavy shorts plastic ties to ensure no loose end links to catch your brake lines! Plastic ties are awesome to tie off all the loose links so less noisy

Interestingly my manual for my Subaru Outback advises that if only one set of chains is available they should go on the front wheels. There may be other reasons for this as well as Subaru dick electronically with how much drive is transferred to the back wheels.

It will depend on what sort of center diff - transfercase you have. The handbook for our Adventra says to put them on the back which is probably due to the 40/60 torque split. If you have the center diff locked you should be able to put them front or back

Ejected
    It should go on the uphill end. The reason for this is the wheels with chains have vastly more breaking so if you are doing down a steep muddy hill when chains on the front and you break then you will swap end real quick. All things being equal put them on the front so you have steering. The real answer is to have two sets on a 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Interestingly my manual for my Subaru Outback advises that if only one set of chains is available they should go on the front wheels. There may be other reasons for this as well as Subaru dick electronically with how much drive is transferred to the back wheels.
    Traction control on my outback is amazing, went for a quick drive then tried doing the same with it off.... Sideways is fun! Was all without chains

depends on the truck. My prado, std wheels, you can't put them on the front, as there isn't enough clearance around the brake lines. They have to go on the back.
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Traction control on my outback is amazing, went for a quick drive then tried doing the same with it off.... Sideways is fun!
    My dads '02 outback has stability control (VDC they called it on that one), drives me nuts on gravel! Kills all the fun and if you turn it off it turns itself back on at about 60km/h and kills the fun again. Give it a wee slide through a corner and nerrrr it brakes whichever wheels it wants to slow you down and pull the car straight again.

Glad my Legacy GTB doesn't have it!

Can't put proper chains of the front of "Sheep Shagger" Hilux's not enough clearance for your fingers let alone chains....

Was one of the reasons I went for a 2 inch coil lift when I got the shocks redone.

Im going against the grain here .This advice was give to me When I was a member of a club ski field . When The snow was real fresh & Deep with big drifts ,put them on the back Wheels, you get way more drive .Give it heaps ! Heaps more clearance for big grunty chains on the back too . And yes steering was a bit dicey . If its icy & packed Id rather have them on the front .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms