Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Snow plough

Snow plough

After the big snow fall we had recently (75cm on he drive) was talking with someone and they wondered if you could buy a plough to put on the towbar. Have seen them mounted to the front bumper in the states but nothing in nz... Can see the problem with the towbar being the forces involved and the strength other to get on a tow bar.

Could be a business opportunity for someone handy wih a welder.... or has someone found a source for one?

would be no worse than a kale cutter on a 4 wheel motorbike if you didnt get silly with how much you trying to shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    would be no worse than a kale cutter on a 4 wheel motorbike if you didnt get silly with how much you trying to shift.
    Go fast enough and you dont need a kale cutter takes a while to pull all the stalks out of the undercarriage though!
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Blisters like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if you didnt get silly with how much you trying to shift.
    There is this, anything is going to be quicker than the shovel.... Problem I have encountered is one it has been driven over it packs down and is really hard to shovel, more chipping the layer off the gravel and if you don't get it all it leaves a really nice layer of ice once it is semi melted (wheel spinning going up any slight incline including the drive!

Buy beer before it snows then sit in front of fire job done
    veitnamcam, 223nut and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Buy beer before it snows then sit in front of fire job done
    I do like your thinking but I ran out of beer after a week... Partner also needs a vehicle to get to work, can park on the side of the road but bit risky with drivers going to past and drunk at night. Had to winch the outback up with the truck yesterday (had to re spool it anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    After the big snow fall we had recently (75cm on he drive) was talking with someone and they wondered if you could buy a plough to put on the towbar. Have seen them mounted to the front bumper in the states but nothing in nz... Can see the problem with the towbar being the forces involved and the strength other to get on a tow bar.

Could be a business opportunity for someone handy wih a welder.... or has someone found a source for one?
    Didn't know you got that much snow down there!??!?

After spending 4 hours digging our driveway clear last year I swore I was going to build a snow plow for the quad bike. I've spent the last year looking at options and have come to the conclusion that it would be a lot easier to just buy one rather than build one. Unless you have access to a cheap profile cutter. Which I obviously don't.

They seem to be pretty rare in NZ but I have seen one on TM (second hand and designed for a ute) and I noticed Topmaq offer one for about $1200, but that's a lot of moo-lah for something you use once or twice a year. I toyed with the idea of getting the kids to clear the neighborhood driveways on a cash upfront basis but before ever getting to the point of snow plowing my way to an early retirement I sold the quad.

Now I need one for the side x side.

Anyhow, you can find lots of plans for some very good plow designs on good ol' Google. Unfortunately, for even the most basic option you're likely to end up spending quite a few Pacific Pesoes.

Let me know how you get on... I'm very interested to see your results.

@planenutz in north Canterbury at the moment... Plenty around, occasionally get an inch the island.

Don't have a quad, so that idea is out. Only ones I have seen are front mounted which could be an option to bolt on in place of my winch bar, problem arises when I get stuck with he plough on and need the winch

Can see the $$ layout being a lot but as has been pointed out could pay for itself eventually (many years not months), there are graders and a tractor that do clearing on the roads but something small to go up peoples drives would have a use.

Trying to tow a plow threw deep snow ain't going to be easy it needs to be on the front to gain some drive and steering while making it easier for the vehicle to progress. And you want to go fast! Chuck that snow out of the way instead of pileing it on the side of the road to make the next dump even harder to get rid of.
    Have a look at the guys clearing the roads they go quick!

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

https://www.topmaq.co.nz/item/view/P...r?sku=CORO2000

What about something like this......Or a ride on mower with brushes instead of blades.....

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    https://www.topmaq.co.nz/item/view/P...r?sku=CORO2000

What about something like this......Or a ride on mower with brushes instead of blades.....
    Hmmm not that one but they do a snow thrower, hadn't thought about that but could work, easier to get it into tight spaces as well. Might have to talk with the neighbours and see if anyone wants to go in on one, would be nice to have a track out to the shed, bird feeder and round the house.

In reality it probably isn't worth it and I just need to stop being lazy and get used to the shovel

Problem wit the melting idea is that you still end up with ice re freezing overnight... Really needs removing

Best bet is too, go find the closest, tractor with a front loader, skidsteer or small wheel loader, and hire the owner for beer or cash,
    I am in Canada, and there is snow removal all winter, quads with blades don't cope very well, with wet snow like new Zealand gets, pickups, really should be one ton chassis, or your will tear them apart, and good blades are expensive,
    Most serious snow removal over hear, is done with a loader, grader or tandem plow truck, with a sander in the back.