Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By chrome

Thread: Surf 4wd problem

Surf 4wd problem

Got stuck at the range today. No power to the front 2. Light came on the dash, but nothing spinning up front. Ideas?

Possibly the actuator faulty.
    Common for the electric motor to fail from lack of use and/or corrosion.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Hubs not engaged? Sometimes auto locking hubs get stuck and need servicing. (assuming you have auto hubs)

Manual hubs, and they're engaged

as I understand it, it has a vacuum actuated front diff and some sort of electric motor on the transfer case. Looking for where to start really.

you need to find out if the motor on transfer case is working, easy way would be jack up the rear get someone to put in 4wd and see if front prop shaft turns or not
    if it doesnt its an engagement issue
    if it turns look at the front diff shoud be vacuum actuated, with truck running one has vacuum and swaps to the other when switch is turned on

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    you need to find out if the motor on transfer case is working, easy way would be jack up the rear get someone to put in 4wd and see if front prop shaft turns or not
    if it doesnt its an engagement issue
    if it turns look at the front diff shoud be vacuum actuated, with truck running one has vacuum and swaps to the other when switch is turned on
    Wouldn't you have both ends up on stands? If the front decided to work it would haul you off the jack.
    Spook, BRADS, Nibblet and 1 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Wouldn't you have both ends up on stands? If the front decided to work it would haul you off the jack.

spin the wheel by hand with it up on the jack, see if it spins with the car in gear and not running.

Depends on the type of central diff setup, but yes. Though I'd still prefer axle stands while under it. Lots of axle stands and ramps the way the bloody earth moved round here. Also easier if you are likely to do any work on it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Got stuck at the range today. No power to the front 2. Light came on the dash, but nothing spinning up front. Ideas?
    I've been having the same issue lately gimp! Mine are auto hubs and I found if I put it in and out a few times it seems to kick in but I was the same as you was 4 wheel driving out the back of a farm in 4wheel low - light was on all the compression etc felt the same, about half an hour in and hit a Shit patch and spin spin spin. Unfortunately has made me lose a lot of faith in my 4 wheel drive

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

I had an issue with my old surf a few years ago, had a vacuum actuator near the front diff shaped like a diaphram enclosed in metal . it had a hockeystick shaped vacuum line spigot sticking out of it.
    I broke it off and screwed a wood screw in the hole (stuck on the beach at the time) it pushes the diaphram over and engages the front
    that screw was never pulled out of there either. stayed in there for years
    kokako likes this.

Had a similar problem with my surf Gimp , turned out to be the universals on the front drive shaft.Was cheaper to get a good second hand replacement than to do the joints .
    Gun control means using both hands