Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ingrid 51

Thread: Suzuki Grand Vitara's

Suzuki Grand Vitara's

Needing a bush hack/ second vehicle and thinking maybe getting a cheap one of these. Anybody have any experience with them?

what years you looking at ?

I have a 2016 2.4 petrol 5 speed, 5 door manual. Bought it low Kms. Now done 31000. Found a spare set of alloys and threw on Bridgestone Dueller when tyre shop moved the decimal point in my favour. I use those tyres/wheels when off the seal. Self fitted complete underbody protection as car was not as high as my former Hilux. Have a snorkel to fit. I removed the back seat and throw all stuff in there. It is a bit short to sleep in, but I’ve done it.

Son has a diesel Prado with excellent tyres and my Vitara goes everywhere the Toyota does (to date). Petrol consumption a bit much (9.4 to 9.5 litres/100) but it does me. The lockable AWD system (both hi and lo) is brilliant. I will keep the car and keep doing my thing.
    Tommy likes this.

Had a 2011 1.9 diesel manual I brought back from Aus.
    Book says 6.4L/100kms - I was getting 5.8-6/100kms tripping around on the road.
    Centre lock electric 4WD is great on paddocks/mud - even with road tyres on, but sh#te when on gravel/tar.
    Couldn't steer very well and axles 'wound up' badly.
    As I wasn't using it in 4WD mode much sold it off.
    Early models (petrol) in 2.7 V6 or 2.4 four cylinder are reasonably cheap in comparison to Toyosan's, etc.
    Have had a ride in a cut down 1.3 Jimny, that had been repowered with a 1.6 Vitara motor.
    Noisy (air intake at passenger's feet), but went everywhere it was pointed.
    If I was doing a lot of 4WD driving, I'd get an early petrol model with a transfer case and 2H, 2L, 4H, 4L ratios.
    Small but more comfortable than a quad or dirtbike IMO.

I have a 2002 4 door. 2.0 manual, slow as and thirsty. But it was cheap and does ok offroad (I have not done anything extreme though) the ground clearance is fairly low though as 4wds go so that is probably the main limiting factor. I mostly use it for hauling firewood through farm paddocks and have not gotten stuck yet. As above the 4wd has no centre diff so usless on the road as driveline winds up and everthing starts whining etc. mine has done about 320000kms and is feeling pretty tired. I wouldnt want it for a daily driver but I use it for hunting and towing so it doesnt do a lot of kms