Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 2 Post By northdude

Thread: SxS recommendations - light farm work,

SxS recommendations - light farm work,

probably been asked on here before, but looking at replacing our 15+ yr old Yamaha quad and thinking we should go to SXS. 50 acre "largish" life style block - cattle and horses, rolling to hilly contour with the odd steep bit.
    Any recommendations or things to look out for or stay away from ?
    Cant afford new, will be 2nd hand. Initial thoughts were along the lines of Yamaha Wolverine or Viking or the Can-am Defender HD5.
    Cheers

What is your budget? Probably for what you are doing it really wouldn't matter what brand/model you buy as it won't be getting flogged, yamaha, can-am, kawasaki, honda. Coming off a drystock farm, being well maintained and having a service history would be more important (in any brand) than the brand and model I would think. They are all high maintenance and quite expensive to run. My forestry contractors (silvicualture) just bought a new Can-am 1000cc Defender. It is pretty sweet, perfect for carting seedlings around (can get 6-7000 on in one go!) and for chemical/release spraying operations it'll be mint. Ticks the health and safety box too versus a quad. But the price makes your eyes water, hahaha.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

thanks @JoshC ... yeah, those bigger Can-ams look great but the $$ are out of my league. Looking for something reliable in $12 - 15k range.

honda 500 sxs. DONT buy a polaris it will end up costing you more then its worth
    Mathias likes this.

Kiyoti Mechron Diesel are tough machines, actually built as a work machine not a toy that's been adapted to farming like most others
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Would get a good Ute for that coin and would last 10x as long

We've been using a kawasaki mule lately.

Think they call it a bigfoot.

Really impressed with it, it goes everywhere, except on a standard trailer as width is 1300

Bloody good machine !! Tipping tray is great

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Not sure what part of the country you are in, but have you checked out the CF Moto brand? They are going really well for us. Great dealer support here in the lower south island.

We buy a brand new 800cc with glass windscreen and wiper for $15,500 + GST.......half the price of anything else.....and they last as long as anything else does.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck

Get a good ole Honda Big Red 350. Goes forever. Cost in good nick from reputable dealer sh about $2g.

northdude
    Whenever I see sxs I think shotguns
    erniec and Woody like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    What is your budget? Probably for what you are doing it really wouldn't matter what brand/model you buy as it won't be getting flogged, yamaha, can-am, kawasaki, honda. Coming off a drystock farm, being well maintained and having a service history would be more important (in any brand) than the brand and model I would think. They are all high maintenance and quite expensive to run. My forestry contractors (silvicualture) just bought a new Can-am 1000cc Defender. It is pretty sweet, perfect for carting seedlings around (can get 6-7000 on in one go!) and for chemical/release spraying operations it'll be mint. Ticks the health and safety box too versus a quad. But the price makes your eyes water, hahaha.

They find it a hassle in that a SxS can't be transported on the back of a ute like a quad can?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    They find it a hassle in that a SxS can't be transported on the back of a ute like a quad can?
    No, they have a custom trailer for it. But they run three 4wd Toyota Hiace vans with gear trailers anyway, rather than utes.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.