Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Thinking about a change - Safari or something else?

Thinking about a change - Safari or something else?

So after many happy years of Subaru ownership I'm thinking about turning to the dark side and chopping the GTB in for a proper 4wd in the sub-10k price range. Pretty much has to be manual, I have a general dislike of autos. Have some idea what I'm after but figured I may as well pick the brains of you lot...

Top of the list is probably a SWB Safari, I know they're about the most solid thing you can buy but any specific hints on things to look out for and check would be handy. Would be a 4.2 non turbo in that price range.

Other contenders currently in mind:

Mid-late 90s 2.7 Terrano - comfier and quieter on the road, not as rugged offroad but probably still plenty capable enough for my use, seems better value than a Surf.

Daihatsu Rocky - Cheap to buy and run, removable sunroof+canopy for bunny shooting. Maybe a bit small though, anyone tried 4 people + packs etc in one?

Landcruiser/Prado - if a good pops up in price range, but most of the cheaper ones seem to have intergalactic miles on them.

Any other suggestions, pros/cons of vehicles I haven't thought of?

Big things with Safaris is rust in the roof. They are double skinned and vapour tends to condense between the layers and stays there till it finds it's own way out. Other than that the engine, drive chain and chassis are rock solid. Make Toymotas look like the toys they are, and this is coming from someone who is a real Toyota fan.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Terrano = rust
    rocky = no spare parts.

cruiser or safari would be my pick but if you can find a rust free terrano with a service history(they also do turbos) could be a goer.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Rocky is too small and gutless and good luck getting parts! and surprisingly thirsty.

Cheers fullas - had heard about rusty floor issues with earlier Terranos, know if its a problem with the later ones too? Wanting the gruntier intercooled 2.7 (early ones be too gutless for me I think, 3.2 only auto, 3.0 only auto and big trouble) means I'd be looking post-96 if I go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Gimp, how many Patrols you see in exploration in Aussie?
    One, but it was in parts at the dump.

The only people I've met with Nissans in Australia are fat guys who read a lot of 4wd Magazines and never actually do anything
    Wirehunt likes this.

If your set on a manual (dont blame you i hate autos too but they are almost bearable on a torquey engine ) there is no way you will get a 80 series in your price bracket.
    turbo nissans and toyotas in manual are like rocking horse shit,and as such demand a premium.

A local white 91 turbo manual 80 series with 300 odd k fridge heated seats moon roof front rear lockers elec wind mirrors etc stock standard with no improvements went for 20k on a car yard lot and it sold in weeks.

Would get a good non turbo manual nissan for 5-8k,whack a turbo on it some springs and shocks good to go.

The 2.7 rusts just like its forefathers

Putting the Patrol vs Landcruiser toughness debate aside as I'm sure either would be tough enough (and I can probably find a 4wd forum with 20 pages of that discussion)...

Thought about a Grand Vitara too but they're probably a bit further down the toughness scale than the Terrano etc, not sure if its quite what I'm after. Friends one was surprisingly fun to skid around on gravel though.

Fair point wrt prices of 80-series Cruisers, the only ones I've seen sub-15k have been pretty rough. Probably a bit bigger than I want too, same as LWB Safaris - driven both before and driving a house got old fairly soon.

If you dont need the size/room go a jimny ! mini proper4wd, vitara/escudo arnt bad but prone to overheating and hence heads which are fucken expensive.

Get a surf! Heaps around, cheap, parts everywhere, good performance, cheap to run, good mid-size that isn't tiny like a Suzi/Rocky or massive like a Cruiser/Nissan....

Welp time to go hide under a rock!

Smurfs are pretty good as are the luxes.

What do you want this vehicle for? you have gone from safari to Suzuki in the same post

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    What do you want this vehicle for? you have gone from safari to Suzuki in the same post
    You make a good point - it will do a bit of everything really - driving places on the road, driving places off the road... how rough the useage gets will probably depend on what I end up with rather than the other way around. Generally I just drive until it gets too rough for whatever I'm in and walk from there, but been finding the Legacy a bit limiting a bit more often the last while. Maybe I'm just getting itchy feet after having the same car for nearly 5 years?

No plans for a hardcore rough truck with big lift, 35" mudders and so on, just a useful all-rounder. Enough off-road ability to be worth making the change from a Subaru, but without getting too compromised for 4hr trips on the road as well. Everything is a compromise to some degree though when I'm trying to pick one vehicle to do everything instead of having two.

Driving Hiluxes just feels like I'm at work...

Ejected
    Whatever VC.

And I own a crumpy machine. Correction, have owned several, but crusier wins every time.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    You make a good point - it will do a bit of everything really - driving places on the road, driving places off the road... how rough the useage gets will probably depend on what I end up with rather than the other way around. Generally I just drive until it gets too rough for whatever I'm in and walk from there, but been finding the Legacy a bit limiting a bit more often the last while. Maybe I'm just getting itchy feet after having the same car for nearly 5 years?

No plans for a hardcore rough truck with big lift, 35" mudders and so on, just a useful all-rounder. Enough off-road ability to be worth making the change from a Subaru, but without getting too compromised for 4hr trips on the road as well. Everything is a compromise to some degree though when I'm trying to pick one vehicle to do everything instead of having two.

Driving Hiluxes just feels like I'm at work...
    Sounds like a surf to me