Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Thought on Nissan x trail

Thought on Nissan x trail

Hi,
    I am looking at buying a vehicle that can do 95% of the road driving and 5% of light off road ( dirt track, getting out of the mud ...etc)
    I am looking at the Nissan xtrail, but I have no clue as to what to get and what to avoid:
    Auto or manual, diesel, turbo diesel or petrol, 2 l or 2.5 l ...etc

If some of you on the forum had experience with them and can share their knowledge that would be great.
    Thanks

MSL
    I hired an x-trail in Tasmania last year, did a couple thousand k’s on road and it was better than I expected, being a manual diesel guy. Took a track down to a beach, the kind that gets hairier as you go till it’s too late to turn back. The last hundred metres down to the beach was hard sand covered clay, with the kind of articulating mounds you see at a demo. Wife was freaking out about getting stuck in the sand. The little x-trail cruised straight up those articulations piece of cake two wheel teetering, where my hilux probably would have needed a lot more momentum. I was impressed for what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and Sarvo like this.

We recently considered one of these to replace our station wagon that insurance wrote off. We were after a wagon with the same intentions as you and also wanting more boot space for two dogs and camping gear.
    Decided the X-Trail was too long especially as it would be used as a shopping trolley and parking it in town etc would end up being a nuisance.
    Ended up with an Outlander with half the kms as a similarly priced X-Trail. We don't need something too 4wdy as we have a Toyota Prado for the rough stuff.
    That said I think the X-Trail is a decent compromise, it is just a lot longer than similar comparable vehicles. Would a Mitsubishi Pajero be an option?

MSL

Thought on Nissan x trail

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    We recently considered one of these to replace our station wagon that insurance wrote off. We were after a wagon with the same intentions as you and also wanting more boot space for two dogs and camping gear.
    Decided the X-Trail was too long especially as it would be used as a shopping trolley and parking it in town etc would end up being a nuisance.
    Ended up with an Outlander with half the kms as a similarly priced X-Trail. We don't need something too 4wdy as we have a Toyota Prado for the rough stuff.
    That said I think the X-Trail is a decent compromise, it is just a lot longer than similar comparable vehicles. Would a Mitsubishi Pajero be an option?
    The Pajero is longer, wider, and taller than the x-trail. The outlander is also longer and taller

LWB Pajero is definitely a lot bigger, I was just putting it out as an option.
    Having had an X-Trail and an Outlander sitting side by side in a car yard, the X-Trail certainly seemed the larger vehicle, bar the height. I see on paper that they are actually quite comparable. The X-Trail has the largest boot/cargo space in its class which is a bonus. And a decent turning circle too.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Had one for 5 years, or so, after I sold my Terrano.
    Not bad, plenty of room in the back.
    I had the petrol 2 litre, auto.
    Was ok, but could have done with a bit more grunt.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

They were once described as a Primera on stilts. Try finding a comparison between a x-trail and RAV4. I once saw the latter quite happily pootling along Old Man Range as I explored in my D-Max.

northdude
    ive heard them described as extra fail

Had an early 2006 2.5 manual, great car/ Suv never had an issue sold it too a mate who towed a motorcycle trailer with 2 trial bikes all over N.Z never missed a beat for him either.

Dependent what year you are talking about.
    We have a 2015 X-trail as the wife's car and its bloody awesome.
    We have the 2.4l petrol, 7 speed auto blah blah blah...

It goes bloody well, is very economical and seem to be alright in light offloading.
    The con is they have low ground clearance. Perfect for fishing though.

Name:  20200726_162742.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  2.54 MB
    Sarvo likes this.
    Duurty .30cal

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
    Sigmund Freud

T31 series has excellent cupholders - on the A pillars of both front occupants and then again in-door. Very useful pull-out trays in the boot beneath the loading bay. My friend who upgraded to a Touareg lamented the lack of this feature. Was a reliable vehicle for him, over 200k.

we had a 2.5 petrol manual. lots of electrical issues with it.
    later models are fitted with nissans cvt and its a bloody disaster and very expensive to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I hired an x-trail in Tasmania last year, did a couple thousand k’s on road and it was better than I expected, being a manual diesel guy. Took a track down to a beach, the kind that gets hairier as you go till it’s too late to turn back. The last hundred metres down to the beach was hard sand covered clay, with the kind of articulating mounds you see at a demo. Wife was freaking out about getting stuck in the sand. The little x-trail cruised straight up those articulations piece of cake two wheel teetering, where my hilux probably would have needed a lot more momentum. I was impressed for what it is

I know the feeling - happens a lot on old Toe Toe logging tracks in King Country - sometimes with not good results
    Like the bush Piper cub pilots said - once you committed it was fly or crunch - no turning back

Anyway - interesting as I also thinking of changing motor and don't really need a full out big boy 4WD
    And don't want to spend 30K on something that sits 345 days in Havelock Marina getting seagull shit on it (actually get v little shit on it
    15K should get aq good one you reckon ??
    Any year better than others - motor size etc

Sorry for trolling your thread @Friwi

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    I know the feeling - happens a lot on old Toe Toe logging tracks in King Country - sometimes with not good results
    Like the bush Piper cub pilots said - once you committed it was fly or crunch - no turning back

Anyway - interesting as I also thinking of changing motor and don't really need a full out big boy 4WD
    And don't want to spend 30K on something that sits 345 days in Havelock Marina getting seagull shit on it (actually get v little shit on it
    15K should get aq good one you reckon ??
    Any year better than others - motor size etc

Sorry for trolling your thread @Friwi
    Buy a little jimny

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Buy a little jimny

Lada Niva ??