Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoshC

Thread: Took the Suzuki out to Woodhill today

Took the Suzuki out to Woodhill today

The NZDA range was closed today so instead I went over to my folks (where my Suzuki is stored), whacked it on the trailer, picked up my brother and headed out to the Woodhill 4x4 park. Had an awesome time.

We saw about a dozen fallow deer. I only got a small amount of footage of them thanks to my camera screwing up. They were right in front of the truck at one point but pressing the record button did nothing. iPhones are great... when they work

I was amazed at what the little thing could do. We went up quite a few of the hard tracks. It's very liberating to drive a truck that I'm not afraid to bash up, so I can focus on my driving and getting through some of the tracks. When I had my hilux in there I was worried about pranging it.

Suzuki Samurai In Woodhill Forest - YouTube

Just need to put the mud tyres on it and get a new winch.

they are a cool little vehicle. looks like it will give you a lot of fun

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    That is my back yard you were in RimfireNZ. Should have called in for a cold one.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nice stuff, checked out your vid re subsonic and supersonic well done on that too (fishing around I those back pockets..)
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    That is my back yard you were in RimfireNZ. Should have called in for a cold one.
    Didn't realise you were out that way Rushy. I'm always going out that way, whether it be for the NZDA range, the woodhill forest park, and the last couple of deer I shot was with someone on a property out that way. It's a nice place to be.

Do you go to the NZDA range? It's only in kumeu.

No I have never been to the range even though I have been a member of the Auckland NZDA branch for years. I can shoot out to 500 easily on my own property.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Nice wee vid there mate. Cool truck too. I have seen a few tip over on those tracks where bigger 4wd's make decent ruts and you're too narrow to follow the tracks exactly. At least with a couple of people they're not too bad to tip back upright! The zooks only real let down is their ground clearance, as you could see in the vid, that's why a lift and bigger tyres work so well on them. If you drop your tyre pressure a bit it'll make the ride a bit smoother through those root and rut sections, and will also make a huge difference in the soft sand like on that little climb you were playing on. Go in when its greasy, that'll test your patience a bit...Great fun.

Here's a mates we used to muck about with in Twizel. Had it on country so steep it'd flood and conk out on the hill. We climbed places we were too scared to come back down! Funny looking back on it

Name:  DCFC0016.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  bacon glenbrook 003.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  232.4 KB
    Happy likes this.

No I have never been to the range even though I have been a member of the Auckland NZDA branch for years. I can shoot out to 500 easily on my own property.
    Lucky SOB. I can do the same out on the farm but it's not exactly range conditions on an open dairy farm. I do a lot of shooting with the 17HMR and that thing gets blown sideways about as far as it goes forward. Plus it's always good to have a chat with the fellas up at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Nice wee vid there mate. Cool truck too. I have seen a few tip over on those tracks where bigger 4wd's make decent ruts and you're too narrow to follow the tracks exactly. At least with a couple of people they're not too bad to tip back upright! The zooks only real let down is their ground clearance, as you could see in the vid, that's why a lift and bigger tyres work so well on them. If you drop your tyre pressure a bit it'll make the ride a bit smoother through those root and rut sections, and will also make a huge difference in the soft sand like on that little climb you were playing on. Go in when its greasy, that'll test your patience a bit...Great fun.

Here's a mates we used to muck about with in Twizel. Had it on country so steep it'd flood and conk out on the hill. We climbed places we were too scared to come back down! Funny looking back on it

Attachment 6419

Attachment 6420

Those are some awesome pics Josh.

Yeah mine sits at an ok height because of the big tyres. I may lift it in the future. The problem is really it's just a fun truck. It's in no state to build something too serious out of. It's pretty rough.

In saying that I'll be putting a winch on it and some decent tyres at least and we'll see where it goes from there

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    Lucky SOB. I can do the same out on the farm but it's not exactly range conditions on an open dairy farm. I do a lot of shooting with the 17HMR and that thing gets blown sideways about as far as it goes forward. Plus it's always good to have a chat with the fellas up at the range.
    There is a strong Souwesterly that prevails at my place so it is certainly not always ideal.

Is it legal in parts of Woodhill to go walking freely? Considering having a poke around and following some animals to get a bit better at stalking.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Yes Phillip you can go walking in there. if you go in from Restall Road and into the next block over from the Boundary Road intersection then you will get into an area holding deer. Or you could just come out to my place next weekend and I could take you and show you around in there.

Yes Phillip you can go walking in there. if you go in from Restall Road and into the next block over from the Boundary Road intersection then you will get into an area holding deer. Or you could just come out to my place next weekend and I could take you and show you around in there.
    Hey Rushy, I'd be keen to have a wander with you in there. I'll PM you.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.