Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Toyota Highlander V6 Petrol

Toyota Highlander V6 Petrol

Does anyone have any pros/cons of the Toyota Highlanders, 2014-2018 type vintage. I know little about these vehicles but note that there was a change in the engines around 2016.

The wife wants an upgrade and likes the look of these, I’m a bit worried about the price of running it.

The other options were a Santa Fe but she seems quite set on a Highlander.

Almost never be used for towing as my Ute will do that.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    With RUC on the Santa Fe VS fuel cost on Highlander it will be ball park the same wouldn’t it?

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

As long as they get the same k's per liter between the petrol and diesel it takes a lot of k's until the diesel is cheaper to run. Mind you I used to factor in extra servicing for turbo diesels. 5000ks
    If it's a later model then that makes it a bit cheaper as they are up there with petrol service intervals now.

Savage1, I have a petrol engined Santa Fe - my second one I have owned from new - and whilst they have been very reliable and are nice to drive/tow the boat with, I have had so many problems with the local service department here in Christchurch that I will not buy another one. Instead I am leaning towards a Toyota, but admit I have no experience with the Toyota service department here, so they could be just as bad.

MSL
    Thirsty but very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My highlander 2007. Love it.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Very nice motors. Smooth and powerful.
    As long as they are serviced properly they are great. If it has poor service history leave it alone!
    They need regular servicing (every 15000 kms) with a top quality oil (5w30) (edit: latest shape uses 0w20 oil) or the chains wear, vvti pulleys wear, everything gums up, and shit gets expensive.
    They'll only drink as much fuel as you can feed it. So if you're a conservative driver it'll be economical, but if you like a bit of vroom they will drink as much as you give it.
    Nice to tow with but they can be thirsty with a big load behind.
    I personally don't like the cruise control. Very aggressive. Plus I found I can get better economy with the CC off.
    Nice and roomy vehicles. Drivers seat could do with bit more bolster padding imo. On the leather I find I slide about a bit. Comfortable though.
    Very rear row of seats is not really worth it. PITA to get in and out of the rear anyway.
    The newer shape are made in the US. Bit nicer than the earlier models.
    Savage1, Beaker and Tommy like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Son get about 12 litres 100 is
    Get her to try the torque steer before you buy, if it’s the front wheel drive, it can be scary. Really nice comfortable vehicle.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Most of the 2014-2018 models have the same motor as my 2009 model, the 201kW 2GR-FE, or a mildly updated version, the 2GR-FKS. The newer models have an updated gearbox.

Ours has been bullet proof. The fuel consumption (combined cycle) since new, over 120,000km, is 11.9L/100km.

I service it every 10,000km. Interestingly, being an Aussie car, the service interval is 10,000km, not the NZ specified 15,000.

I use Penrite 10w/50 HPR fully synthetic. The 5w/30 would be preferable if you in the Deep South, or maybe the central plateau in winter. Otherwise it’s a little too thin for northern Waikato conditions. That’s my view anyway. The service book says either 5w/30 or 10w/40 depending on operating temps.
    Savage1 likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

MSL
    I’ve got a 2007 lexus hybrid with the earlier version of the same motor. It’s got 395000km on it and going strong

Awesome cheers for the replies, I might go hire one for a few days to see if she likes it.
    johnd likes this.

Best large SUV going, the 2gr is so sweet. Did you know you can get that donk in a corolla body? They are a laugh and a half
    Savage1, Spudattack and Beaker like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Best large SUV going, the 2gr is so sweet. Did you know you can get that donk in a corolla body? They are a laugh and a half
    In a hatchback?

Take our Subaru for a spin when you are down this week, might change her mind

"Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    In a hatchback?
    Yup.

I followed one last summer, I was like WTF???? Had no idea it existed.
    Just...say...the...word